INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DX Eq's  (Read 7158 times)

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
DX Eq's
« on: December 06, 2003, 09:50:33 pm »

Hello, I have 2 questions.

1... What is better about a DX eq over the MC eq..
2... What is the best DX EQ to use... (free)

Thanks,
-

Tiberius

• Junior Woodchuck
  • A big dog is twice as big as a dog 1/2 it's size..
Re:DX Eq's
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2003, 10:40:46 pm »

I have been using this and love it>
http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/download/step2.asp?DID=11

There is a free trial, a reg number is $34.95 I have never found a diexctx eq for free this is the closest I have come.

As for what's better this plugin pack includes several different eq's and they all let you specify the freq they act on as well as the level. I use the graphic eq from the pack which gives both a 10 and a 20 band gui with set sliders and a free form "envelope" mode.

The ablitiy to set the center freq and width of each adjustment allows me to really tune the system for the best sound.

Failure is not an option...however it is often included at no extra charge...

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2003, 02:54:22 am »

Anyone able to create multiple channels for each channel?  I'd like to use my computer with a multi channel sound card to have a digital cross-over for biamping my system.  I'd like to perform crossover and eq digitally.

i.e. Right channel turns into right high and right low.  Left channel turns into left high and left low.

ideally, this could be moved to 3 way or 4 way. (for a sub for each channel.)

Thanks,
kiwi

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2003, 10:13:35 am »

Anyone use the DFX plug in advertised in the banner heading on this forum?  Is it any good?

LisaRCT

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2003, 11:03:48 am »

Anyone use the DFX plug in advertised in the banner heading on this forum?  Is it any good?

I tried it, but was NOT impressed.  To me most of it's effects sound poor.
Generally speaking I do not like to use effects or even an EQ unless 'necessary'.  

IF I use any effects at all I use the DirectX plugins, particularly the 'rgc Audio High Frequency Stimulator' (http://www.kvr-vst.com/get/330.html -OR- http://www.thedirectxfiles.com/manufacturers/rgc_HFstim.htm  <-- on this page click 'Download', then on the fTp site click on 'Freeware' then download 'hfstimdx10.exe' ).
It works great on mp3 files and streams to 'replace' the high's lost due to mp3 algorithms.

I also will use the '4Front Headphones' (http://www.opensound.com) which gives headphones more of an 'open room' sound instead of that 'inside your head' sound (Psychoacoustical delocalization).

If you prefer more effects like surround and such included in the DFX software I would suggest 'OSS/3D plugin'  . . . has a 30 day free trial and like the DFX is not expensive ($14.00 USD). It can be seen and downloaded at: http://www.oss3d.com and looks like it will meet all your DSP needs . . .definately looks to do ALOT more than the DFX software.

And NO!, I am not affiliated with these programs   :)

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2003, 12:58:07 pm »

Thanks Lise.  I try to steer clear of effects too. I have a high end stereo and speaker system but unfortunately I have a lot of 128kbps MP3s.  I've started using the equaliser in MC and found it to sound surprisingly good but if I can find anything better I'll give it a go.

I'll try the DX plugins you mentioned.

Thanks.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003, 01:08:30 pm »

I use DFX, but wish I didn't have to. It has become a huge pain in the ass lately with some popups about an MP3 remixer that I have no interest in. The problem is that when play is pressed from one of the IR remotes and this window appears, playback won't start before it's OK'd or cancelled. So we don't get any sound. Home automation nightmare! I want 100 % reliability! I use the restoring of high frequencies on DFX, maybe I could use the one Lisa suggests. I will try it!
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2003, 01:15:16 pm »

Help!  I installed the High Frequency Stimulator from RCG Audio but cannot get it added as a plugin to MC.  I'm running MC v9.1.316.  I tried copying teh DLL from C:\Program Files\rgcAudio\DirectX\HF Stimulator to C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Plugins and I tried pointing MC at it using the Plugin manager but it says unsupported plugin type.  Any ideas?

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 01:33:29 pm »

Check out gwiz's tip JLee

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=17270;start=msg118265#msg118265

im curious to know how it works/stability etc with Lisa's plugin

Also..wil it make a real diff with 192kbs mp3s

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 01:50:21 pm »

I installed the MC beta DX host plugin but I still get the same problem.

Tangoman

• World Citizen
  • You are nothing that you are conscious of.
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2003, 02:05:50 pm »

Hi,
Your ears will be the final judge on whether another eq is better or not than MC built in one.http://www.jms-audioware.com/dx_plugs.htm but you can check this one out highly regarded in Pro circles.
Cheers Tango dude
I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left. - Anon

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2003, 02:11:13 pm »

I installed the MC beta DX host plugin but I still get the same problem.

same problem here too :(

i unzipped the zip file that dsp_host is into the Plugins dir...restarted MC ...did not appear..tried pointing plug-in mgr at the 3 individual files and it says unsupported plugin

tips anyone ?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2003, 02:38:59 pm »

After having added the host and restarted MC, look in the DSP settings. You should have the host there, so you can add the DSP plugins. At least that happened on my system about five minutes ago!  ;D

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2003, 03:00:40 pm »

Lisa, consider me your biggest fan! It gives just as good, if not better sound than DFX on the "Gimme that MP3" setting, and what's a lot better: It can be used independantly on all zones!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D My biggest gripe with DFX was that using it on two zones at the same time made the sound distort over in other zones. A few minutes ago I was playing on six zones with different settings on the plugin, and they were all treated totally independantly! Thank you! Of course playing like that made my CPU jump between 60-96 percent utilization (on an XP2600+ with 333 mHz bus), but since it does not skip a beat in playback I'm a happy man!

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2003, 03:11:37 pm »

After having added the host and restarted MC, look in the DSP settings. You should have the host there, so you can add the DSP plugins. At least that happened on my system about five minutes ago!  

no luck here...i cannot do a direct install as MC is not on a internet enabled machine.

so i downloaded, the plugin..dsp_directx.zip

it contains 3 files

KillUserBp.dll
AdaptX30.dll
dsp_DirectX.dll

i dropped them in JRiver\MEdia Center\PLugins

maybe they are installed in another place or have thier own dir.

Mastiff could u tell me where those 3 fiels are located on your box ?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2003, 03:20:15 pm »

Same place. Did you use add plugin on dsp_directx.dll? I'm afraid I don't know much about installing plugins that way, I always use the regular style from the Net.

LisaRCT

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2003, 05:28:40 pm »

Installation instructions:

'4Front/OSS 3d' plugin:
Install plugin (double-click the file oss3dr7-demo-i.exe)
allowing it to install into it's default directory.

Open MC's 'Plugin Manager
click 'Add Plugin'
in the directory 'C:\Program Files\4front-oss3d-7' select the file 'dsp_oss3ddsp.dll'

Presto!  Open the DSP Studio in MC and you will see the plugin offerred for selection.

To make adjustments . . . .
Right-click on the System Tray icon 'OSPI Plugin Manager' and select properties.
Click on the listed plugin which you wish to adjust. (I also use the OSS plugin called '4Front Heqadphones' which is also listed there for settings.)

There are presets there as well as custon adjustments.

*Note: the '4Front Headphones' plugin is installed and adjusted in the same manner.

I do not recall if the 'RGC High Frequency Stimulator' was a self-install or needed the same proceedure as that has been installed on my system for some time.  I only recently began evaluating the 'OSS 3D' plugin so that install was fress in my mind.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2003, 02:42:12 pm »

Now that i got my plugin probs sorted out..iim checking out the rgc plugin

I'm using the gimme mp3 setting...on tracks that are 192kbs. The result is vrey subtle.

i wonder what the checkboxes Lock Left/Right & Effect only means. Do ppl check both those boxes or either.

reason i ask is cos i cant tell the diff ...

DirectX host is checked. and i have a red tick in the plugin area so i know the plugin is loaded properly.

Also..i think the settings may be kept in between each time i open the DSP studio but the popdown menu in the plugin resets to default.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2003, 03:11:51 pm »

Yes, the settings stay. And what you see on the sliders have no relation to what you hear if you use the presets, so the interface leaves a bit to be desired, but then you can't argue with the price... DFX is removed from all my computers.

jleerigby

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2003, 03:21:16 pm »

DirectX host is checked. and i have a red tick in the plugin area so I know the plugin is loaded properly.
Yes the interface does leave a lot to be desired.  Should the red tick be visible or not visible?  Which is on and which is off?  Does the red tick mean 'it's turned on' or does it mean 'click here to turn it on'?

LisaRCT

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2003, 04:39:58 pm »

DirectX host is checked. and i have a red tick in the plugin area so I know the plugin is loaded properly.
Yes the interface does leave a lot to be desired.  Should the red tick be visible or not visible?  Which is on and which is off?  Does the red tick mean 'it's turned on' or does it mean 'click here to turn it on'?

YES!   :P

LisaRCT

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2003, 04:42:33 pm »

Red tick is ON
unless you are talking about the 'Bypass' in which case red tick turns ON the 'bypass' turning OFF the effect . . .
 are you confused yet?   :P

Absurrrd

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 01:04:38 am »

Has anybody had problems with DirectX plugin Making Media center Crash. I haven't tried it for a while. I'm pretty sure I have enough memory, Well at least enough memory on my computer....

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 05:45:13 am »

Red tick is ON
unless you are talking about the 'Bypass' in which case red tick turns ON the 'bypass' turning OFF the effect . . .
are you confused yet?  

ok we got that now lisa :)

what about  the checkboxes Lock Left/Right & Effect ?

LisaRCT

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 06:59:18 am »

what about  the checkboxes Lock Left/Right & Effect ?

'Effect Only' plays ONLY the effect (the difference between the effect on and the effect off) so you can hear what it is doing.

'Lock Right and Left' - I haven't a clue   :-\

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2003, 07:41:24 am »

'Effect Only' plays ONLY the effect (the difference between the effect on and the effect off) so you can hear what it is doing.

That is what is confusing.

I would think if the plugin is enabled ( red tick etc) this means the plugin is working or the effect is on. so the effect check box seems redundant...unless there is something i am missing.

THis begs the question what is an effect. There are 4 variables that can be set.
or are set from the presets.

jleerigby

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2003, 12:16:50 pm »

My testing leads me to believe that the red tick means 'This darn thing is bypassed - click here to enable it again'.

If you click the 'effect only' button and then use the bypass toggle you'll see what I mean.  When the red tick is shown the High Freq Stim is bypassed completely.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2003, 12:59:31 pm »

My testing leads me to believe that the red tick means 'This ** thing is bypassed - click here to enable it again'.

If you click the 'effect only' button and then use the bypass toggle you'll see what I mean.  When the red tick is shown the High Freq Stim is bypassed completely.    

Ahh...you're right JLee

the plugin is on when you see the ! (no entry sign) ..or put another way...clik here to turn off.  as you say..click here to swith on ..with red tick.

Clicking "effect only" plays what the plugin is actually adding to the music..and turns down the actual music.

LOL...now I can finally get to see how good this plugin is :)

jleerigby

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2003, 04:39:31 pm »

Yep.  When the red tick was shown the effect was just a little too subtle for me!  ;D

LisaRCT

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2003, 12:00:51 am »

LOL...now I can finally get to see how good this plugin is :)

Which one?
I've had the HighFreq Stimulator installed for a while now and really like it, it doesn't color the sound or make it 'tinny' like many do.

I just tried out the OSS/3D and I am rather liking it.
I am not an effects fan but like a bit of 'space' added to headphones at times, the psychoacoustic effects make it easy-listening. (No, not the genre 'easy-listening :P  )
I was using the '4Front Headphones' (the freeware one) and I think I like the 4Front OSS/3D better.  It is alot more powerful and customizable, the 10-BandEQ is awesome, and I am getting a nice, clean, gently-enhanced-for-headphones sound that isn't frying my music.   8)
Hmmm, and I had sworn never to buy any of that 'useless effects junk'   :-\
Aww, heck it wasn't a New Year's resolution or anything  :P
 ;D

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 08:01:06 am »

the stimulator one Lisa.

i notice the effect is quite marked for 128k than 192k.

The cymbals are ringing and the snares are crisper..

A very welcome improvement..thanks for the tip. I dont have much experience except with DFX back in the winamp days, which again was used with 128kbs encoded tracks. Once i moved to 192k ..i found i had less need for DFX. The good thing about the plugin is 'effect' actually tells you what its doing rather than leaving you to figure out the diff.

Headphones is something i dont usually use...so will think of it when i need them.

i suppose with the stimulator plugin it should be possible to enable DSP and burn cds with it for even better sound.  But i hear ppl having probs burning with DSP enabled ( is it fixed now ?) so maybe after John T sorts it out.

zevele10

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2003, 02:38:11 pm »

have a lot of 128kbps MP3s-=-=

JLee

Try the Equaliser  "Classical " setting in MC DSP.
It works well with the MP3 128 from Emusic

zevele10

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2003, 03:45:37 pm »

LisaRCT
Concerning Free 4Front Headphones

Wich one i need to download?

Musicmatch Jukebox*
Winamp 2
Winamp 3
Sonique**
Windows Media Player 9
Jet Audio***
Foobar2000****

zevele10

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2003, 07:15:39 pm »

Sweet women
don't let me down
or[beware] of my blue suede shoes

LisaRCT

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2003, 10:03:48 pm »

Hi Zevelle,
Sorry to keep ya waiting hon,
I downloaded the Winamp plugin, but forget which version . .  .  :-\
I think it was the Winamp 3 ??

zevele10

« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2003, 01:56:02 pm »

Brown Eye Women with a Touch Of Grey in the hairs

Will try it
 If it works , i will have Hight Time ,SittingOn The Top Of The World Till Morning Come, feeling i'am Playing In The Band.

And , In The Morning Dew, i will take The Golden Road [To Unlimited LisaRCT Devotion]

Cosmic Charly

PS: sorry if you are more a China Doll kind  instead of brown and grey

LisaRCT

« Reply #36 on: December 12, 2003, 02:12:45 pm »

WOW, I think I'm in love   ::)

how'd you know I was a
DeadHead ??

Nothin left to do but smile smile smile   ;D

zevele10

« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2003, 02:24:51 pm »

You like Jam bands

You are of my generation.
We spoke many times about DeadHeads and once about LiveDeadand
Dead concerts
And so on.

And it is not that difficult to 'feel' a DeadHead near you.

We  may not be tenager to this day but we are far to be some RELIX....
Pages: [1]   Go Up