INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batty numeric behavior with track/sequence #s  (Read 1536 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Batty numeric behavior with track/sequence #s
« on: December 07, 2002, 08:58:02 am »

Yikes!!

I've been driven nutty with the behavior of MJ and the number keys on my keyboard. It doesn't seem to matter if I use the numeric keypad or the number keys along the top. Here's what I'm seeing:

1) Click on the top level of the media library. The right-hand pane populates with all the songs MJ knows about (around 6800).
2) Start playing (Ctrl-P or the play button). This gives a sequence number to all the items in your media library.
2) Single click on the highlight bar in the right-hand pane to give it the focus. The bar should be on sequence #1.
3) Type a number--3, for example.
4) Note that the highlight bar jumps to sequence #3. This is as expected.

NOW...

1) Single click on a sequence number to move the highlight bar--try #5.
2) Now type a number lower than 5, say--3.
3) Note that the highlight bar jumps to sequence #30.

ALSO...
Try directly jumping to sequence number 222.
1) Click in the right-hand pane and highlight Seq#1.
2) Type 3 "2"s (fairly quickly, I'm sure there's a timeout in here somewhere).
3) Note the bar jumps to #2, then #20, then #21.
In fact, if you keep pushing "2", the highlight bar just moves up one sequence number at a time.

ALSO...
Try jumping to a lower sequence number (this one's really frustrating)
1) Click in the right-hand pane to place the highlight bar on some Seq#, say #11.
2) Try to directly jump to Seq#7. If you push "7", you go to #70. If you type "07", you don't move. If you push multiple "7"s, you increment by 1.

The only way I found to get back is to enter a number that has the same number of digits as the highest sequence number. However, the first 2 digits can't be the same. In my library, I enter a 4-digit number, wait a moment then can jump backwards to a single digit sequence number. However, the number has to exist in your library, so I can't just enter "9898".

(As a side effect, there is no easy way to jump to track "44" or "55" or "66", etc.)

Similar things happen to me when I just have a regular playlist with more than 9 tracks. Some of the details change, but the wacky behavior remains constant.

Am I high, or have I found an authentic bug? Are there anyother workarounds?

Best,
Brad

---
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.388

Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1807 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 377 MB
OS: Microsoft Windows 2000  Workstation 5.0 Service Pack 3 (Build 2195)

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106
ComCtl32.dll: 5.50.4916.400
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106
Shell32.dll: 5.00.3502.5436
wnaspi32.dll: Internal ASPI Layer

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Batty numeric behavior with track/sequence #s
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2002, 09:22:10 am »

That sounds like normal Windows behavior to me. It only does single character matches (on the first character only and only one match per "record")....so if you keep hitting 2's it will continue down the list until no more can be found then it will loop back to the top of the list. It's not a bug. The few programs that do what you want are Money, Quicken, and MS Access....and they do it in a combo box only.

10-27

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2002, 02:14:45 pm »

That sounds like normal Windows behavior to me. It only does single character matches (on the first character only and only one match per "record")....so if you keep hitting 2's it will continue down the list until no more can be found then it will loop back to the top of the list. It's not a bug. The few programs that do what you want are Money, Quicken, and MS Access....and they do it in a combo box only.

10-27

Mmmmm... I think I understand, but that's not the behavior I'm seeing. If I read you correctly, the first "2" should bring up #2, the 2nd "2" should bring up #22, & so on.

Regardless, MJ exhibits the correct behavior when text is involved. For example, if you click in the "Album" view scheme & start typing an album name, the list dynamically moves the highlight bar as you type.

Any ideas for work-arounds?

Best,
Brad

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2002, 03:14:09 pm »

> I think I understand, but that's not the behavior I'm seeing

It is exactly the behavior you should see per your examples. It will always search from the point your at now downward (until last match, then back to the top of list).

I'm not sure why you want to move around via the sequence number, unless you have them memorized to a particular track. If so then you have a fantastic memory. I know pi to about 8 digits (3.14159265). You may be able to get to 100 digits! :)

If your looking for navigation keyboard shortcuts, here's a few:
PageUp & PageDown (after highlighting the first track): moves one screen at a time
Ctrl End: move to last record
Ctrl Home: move to first record

10-27

PS: Another very useful shortcut for Windows is to use the spacebar (or the Enter key) on dialog boxes that have a single OK button (or even multi button ones if the button you want has focus)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 09:18:42 pm »

It is exactly the behavior you should see per your examples. It will always search from the point your at now downward (until last match, then back to the top of list).

Well, to continue with the example of "2"s... I think you are saying that I should see:
--A--
1) Press "2"--jump to Seq#2
2) Press "2"--jump to Seq#22
3) Press "2"--jump to Seq#222
4) Press "2"--jump to Seq#2222
etc. (unless I exceed some wait timeout, at which point I would begin at step 1 again)
however, I currently see --B--
1) Press "2"--jump to Seq#2
2) Press "2"--jump to Seq#20
3) Press "2"--jump to Seq#21
4) Press "2"--jump to Seq#22
5) Press "2"--jump to Seq#23
etc. through #29, then it jumps to #200 & continues to #299, then jumps to #2000 & continues to #2999, at which point it jumps back to #2.

It looks like both are valid search methods according to what you are describing. However option --A-- assumes that you are typing multiple digits, where --B-- always assumes you are typing the first digit....

When using alphabetic characters, I see behavior --A--. I guess I figured numbers would work similarly.

I'm not sure why you want to move around via the sequence number, unless you have them memorized to a particular track. If so then you have a fantastic memory. I know pi to about 8 digits (3.14159265). You may be able to get to 100 digits! :)

Although my memory is good, it's supplemented by a 2MB Marantz 5200 remote control. I'm creating navigation panels for each album I have in MJ & I want to have direct track access when I'm looking at the track list panel for each album. It would be cool to just remember that in a default sort, Seq#5427 is Song "xxx" :)

Best,
Brad

xen-uno

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 05:00:56 am »

bs...

After playing around with it, it does indeed do what your first post said. But it does work as expected if you avoid repeating string numbers (ie 22, 666, 9999).

Is it a bug? Not really...I don't think they envisioned people navigating by seq #.

It looks like it's hardcoded on the sequence number. It would be nice if it would search on whatever column is first.

Rx
Pages: [1]   Go Up