INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping a DVD  (Read 1672 times)

blueford21

• nothing more to say...
Ripping a DVD
« on: December 03, 2002, 08:34:31 pm »

This may have been answered somewhere in your forum or it may just be a stupid question, but I will ask it anyway.  I have the latest Media Jukebox player, vers. 9. I have a concert DVD.  It is music that is not available in CD format.  I would like to know if it is possible to rip the contents of the DVD as an MP3 file with Media Jukebox so I can then burn the MP3 as a CD.  If it is possible but not with MediaJukebox, is there another program available?  Thanks in advance for your consideration.  

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Ripping a DVD
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2002, 09:51:33 pm »

Last I heard was that the audio tracks (if in DVD-A or DVD-V format) were unrippable. Doesn't mean that the DVD can't be copied (witness DivX or is it Xvid?) but pulling out parts of it to be encoded isn't possible.

A workaround would be to use the stereo jacks on the back of the DVD player and pipe it into the Line In jack of your sound card...then do a Line In record.

10-27

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2002, 12:09:47 am »

Actually, you can rip the audio from a dvd, but it is a bit more complicated than ripping from a cd.  I've just started playing around with it myself and am still a little confused about the whole process.

Anyway, you can't use MJ to do it.  You can find software and info here:

http://www.doom9.org/

I haven't spent too much time at the forums there yet, but from what I've read elsewhere, they are extremely intolerant and prone to flaming newbies who don't know how to use the search function.  So, post questions there at your own risk.

There have also been a few threads on this topic over at Hydrogen Audio recently which you can probably turn up with a quick search.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2002, 12:50:36 pm »

not sure ,but maybe you can do it using TotalRecorder or MJ recorder from mixer

phelt

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2002, 01:53:23 pm »

If it's a regular DVD video and you just want to enjoy the audio separately, all you should need are DVD Decrypter, BeSweet, and the BeSweet GUI if you like. doom9 has these.

Basic process: get the DVD converted to VOB files using the first program, use the second program to extract the audio. It also handles sample rate conversion and compression to MP3, ogg, etc if you like. Once you've achieved the audio, you can simply delete the VOB files.

I do think that thorough reading and a few tests will be more productive than waiting for help from the aforementioned source.

It is unfortunate that the materials are not available seperately, and necessitate such convolutions. So much easier to simply buy the audio version, preferably bundled.

amsterdamned

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2002, 04:20:27 pm »

I've used Cool Edit Pro 2.0 to record audio from a dvd. I just click record, play the dvd and make sure all other system sounds (mail notify etc) are turned off.

You can find CE Pro 2 at http://www.syntrillium.com/cep/ however i'm sure there must be cheaper alternatives if you don't want to spend $250.

graham131

• Galactic Citizen
  • Yadb (get it?) dabba do.....
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2002, 03:12:45 am »

Actually, you can rip the audio from a dvd, but it is a bit more complicated than ripping from a cd.  I've just started playing around with it myself and am still a little confused about the whole process.

Anyway, you can't use MJ to do it.  You can find software and info here:

http://www.doom9.org/

I haven't spent too much time at the forums there yet, but from what I've read elsewhere, they are extremely intolerant and prone to flaming newbies who don't know how to use the search function.  So, post questions there at your own risk.

There have also been a few threads on this topic over at Hydrogen Audio recently which you can probably turn up with a quick search.

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/

Rob

Is this a function that is likely to be added to MJ8 or MC9 in the near future?

zevele10

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2002, 04:09:29 am »

i gave a try with TotalRecorder and MJ Recorder set on mixer ,and i did get the music rip on my hard drive

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2002, 07:01:27 am »

Is this a function that is likely to be added to MJ8 or MC9 in the near future?

It would seem unlikely to me, since the process of ripping a DVD is more complicated than ripping an audio CD.  Most DVDs have multiple audio tracks depending on the languages, commentary, etc available.  However, I don't work for J River, so I can't really say for sure.

Rob

zevele10

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2002, 11:13:52 pm »

You are right.
Look like BF21 asked about to rip music from the DVD.
I assume that ,like me ,he has concerts on DVD.
But ,even in this case you have to make a playlist/favorites before you rip it .
I run PowerDVd to do it .
And i play the DVD with it ,NOT with MJ.
You cannot use MJ for both tasks

TotalRecorder versus MJ recorder

TotalRecorder atomatic ,but a lot of things you cannot do .
MJ recorder : minus ,you have to set the level-can be a pain in the.....-
Bonus ,when your setting is fine ,you get MUCH MUCH better sound from MJ recorder than from any others programs.
Trust me , i gave a try to  load of them this last few days.
There is a program with a big plus : PowerAmp.
You can set the time of each song . The program will stop  when time is reach ,and start a new song.
But NOT if there not silence between songs.
If you i would rip to APE first or wawe.
Like it you can  'work' on it before encoding in another format.
To rip as one very long song using MP3 format is not that much a good idea..........
Pages: [1]   Go Up