INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ot-removing Windows 2000  (Read 1452 times)

zevele10

Ot-removing Windows 2000
« on: December 14, 2003, 06:41:07 am »

I friend of mine intalled Windows 2000 on a very old computer.
Of cause his computer allmost do not work-100% CPU and memory  by just opening IE..

But i cannot find a way to remove it and put back Windows 98.

Would like very much some help.

I have both Windows discs and flopys for each version.

He told me he just installed 2000 on the top of 98

modelmaker

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Ot-removing Windows 2000
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2003, 06:58:30 am »

I think you may just have to reformat the drive and then do a clean install of '98. I know, no fun. Although I don't understand why just installing  win2k should make it run at 100%?? Maybe someone else will come along with a better idea.

Listening to: 'College' by 'Bare Naked Ladies' on Media Center 9.0
Listening to: 'Gooroo' from 'The Spliff Radio Show' by 'Spliff ' on Media Center 9.0
Jay.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans"     John Lennon.

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2003, 07:01:00 am »

A new, clea install is nessecary because w2k altered the filesystem from Fat32 to NTFS. Win98 can't read NTFS and so you have to reformat the boot partition with Fat 32.
No easy "downgrade"
AC
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2003, 07:29:44 am »

It wouldn't have changed the file system to NTFS, unless the person who installed it did a clean install, and selected the option to change the file system to NTFS. He also could have left the file system intact, or even reformatted it as FAT32.

Bill McNair

zevele10

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2003, 07:39:30 am »

It is still FAT 32.

But HOW i format the drive ?

I cannot format from command prompt ,because the OS is running.
--------------------from My Computer ,DriveC: Tools

I cannot format from the Windows 98 flpoopy ever.

When i say old computer , i mean a ?-- i do not remember the name ,but it is not Pentium- 250 or 56 or 52.

A very small memory 52?  or 62 ?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2003, 08:18:21 am »

It wouldn't have changed the file system to NTFS, unless the person who installed it did a clean install, and selected the option to change the file system to NTFS. He also could have left the file system intact, or even reformatted it as FAT32.

Bill McNair
You are right, NTFS formatting is an option if you kick off Win98 (recommended) what I'm doing most. Maybe this is the reason for my "black out", sorry

Zevele: What errormessage did you get when tried to format with the Win98 disc? Or is the system still booting from hd?
Maybe it is a K6 250MHz with 64MB Ram, upgrade to 128MB on systems like this did wonders to w2k for me.
AC
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2003, 09:44:09 pm »

It's probably lack of memory that's killing things...

Win2K is hungrier than 98 in this respect, and it's probably starting to page (use virtual memory) as soon as it starts up. If the disk is full/badly fragmented, this process becomes horrible very quickly.

If you don't have access to a Win98 boot floppy, try going to http://www.bootdisk.com, where you can download an image for a boot-floppy of your choice.

I would ALWAYS recommend doing a fresh install when changing an OS (I don't care how slick the upgrade process may be, I just wanna completely clean install of the new OS, but that's just me; years as a sysadmin doing upgrades / installs has made me believe in fresh installs)

Cheers
Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up