INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about cover art processing  (Read 786 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Question about cover art processing
« on: December 16, 2003, 01:22:18 am »

I've noticed some strange things with cover art handling recently, and had some questions.

Basically, I moved my music library from one computer to another. The drive letter on which the music is kept changed. I moved the MC library file from one computer to another as well. I used the Find & Replace function to rename the filename in the library to reflect the new path - everything worked OK.

However, about 20% of the tracks lost their album cover art. Sometimes they still had the thumbnail, sometimes it was blank. In track info screens, these tracks would show up with the "broken graphic" icon, not the MC logo. (Other tracks that had never had cover art would show the MC logo).

Using "Quick Find in File/Cover Art Directory" would do nothing. However, manually adding the art from file would frequently work. (All my cover art is stored in Windows XP default form - folder.jpg in each album folder). In some very rare cases, even manually adding the art would not work. The file is there, Windows XP previews it fine, it turns up in the dialog, but MC will not generate the preview or associate it to the music files - no errors, it just ignores it. (This would happen with v9.1 as well).

Eventually, I selected all files, removed cover art from all, and then re-added using "Quick Find..." This worked *almost* correctly - in a few cases the cover art was incorrect. This was usually because the correct art was in the album directory, and there was incorrect artwork in the J River Cover Art directory.

I *don't* store cover art in file tags, yet MC made tag changes to all files.  (File checksums changed)

I'm thinking that I should probably remove cover art again, delete the J River cover art directory and then do a quick find.

So my questions:

1) Under what circumstances does MC show the broken graphic link icon?

2) What is the priority for finding cover art? Does it look in the cover art directory first, then the album folder? Is there any way of changing this?

3) Is there any way of forcing album cover art to refresh without removing and re-adding it?

4) What tag changes are made to the files when cover art is added?

My ideal situation would be for MC to use folder.jpg in the album directory by default.

Media Center 10.0.16 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2565 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 1014 MB, Free - 669 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     DVD RW DRU-530A    Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
Re:Question about cover art processing
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 10:07:48 pm »

Bump... any info on this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up