INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Burning OGG files on Audio CD  (Read 996 times)

dmb

Burning OGG files on Audio CD
« on: December 17, 2003, 07:22:54 am »

Hi,

I'm evaluating MJ, which is excellent, and have one single question left:

I have high quality OGG files (>320 Kbites) which I want to use to burn some audio CD's. I'm quite new to burning audio CD's (normally I use MD), so I don't know how this works. Will I lose quality due to the conversion to an audio CD?. Is my internal soundcard used by this process (I hope not, because it isn't that good)?.

Thanks!.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Burning OGG files on Audio CD
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2003, 08:38:29 am »

Nope...

The CD-Audio format file you get from a decoded ogg when burning is exactly the same as the runtime wav (or raw) format file you get when you playback an ogg. You may get some generational loss if you do => CD-Audio>wav>ogg>wav>ogg>wav>ogg....

Encodes/decodes are done by the CPU. Only on playback is the DAC (digital to analog converter) of the SoundCard (or CD-ROM) used. If you record anything thru the Line-In port of the SC, then card quality could have an affect.

10-27

dmb

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003, 08:52:49 am »

xen-uno,

Thanks for your quick and clear answer.

One more question though: So when I playback an music file like OGG, then the player (MJ in this case) always first converts it to, as you say, a raw WAV file?. So the quality entirely depends on the quality of the OGG-WAV decoder?. If this is the case: does it matter which player I use; in other words: does MJ use a "good" decoder?.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2003, 12:25:19 pm »

The decoding routines in every case (in the *.dll) are Xiph based (the authors) tailored for the specific music app. So no...it really doesn't matter which player you use. The wav format is a container. What the soundcard actually plays is the containerless raw format...which is pure data.

Sounds like your encoding at -q 10 which is pretty heavy (quality vs size) but that's cool...I use -q 8.

10-27

dmb

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2003, 03:07:37 pm »

Oke, thanks xen-uno for the clear explanation.

And yes, I'm using the highest quality possible, because that's far more important for me than size. Especially because I'm also recording them to MD.
Pages: [1]   Go Up