INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 64501 times)

auberon

• I'm a llama!
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2004, 03:11:15 am »

When I upload files to my iPod the aritist tag changes to (Multiple Artists) when the album artist is unknown or a the track is from compilation album featuring multiple artists. How can I change this so that MC uploads the correct artist information?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2004, 03:41:11 am »

What did you choose in Select Artist Field?

If you choose Artist it should show just that.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #152 on: January 14, 2004, 03:54:24 am »

Maybe it's just me but I am having a lot of trouble getting anything onto my iPod in the first place.  I send the files to the iPod.  Go to the manager and hit transfer.  MC says it's doing it, and claims success... but when the process finishes there are no files on the ipod.  I have tried formatting, but I don't know what else to try.  I though maybe synching would work better but I can't figure out how to do that either.  Any help appreciated. (MC 9.1)

Can you give some more info:

Are you using fiewire or USB?
Did you format and initialise or just initialise?
Do you have iTUNES installed?
Are you using any other apps with your iPOD?

auberon

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #153 on: January 14, 2004, 05:23:10 am »

What did you choose in Select Artist Field?

If you choose Artist it should show just that.

Excuse my ignorance. Where is the Select Artist Field?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #154 on: January 14, 2004, 06:04:06 am »

With the iPOD connected, Right Click on the iPOD drive letter in MC and choose Select Artist Field.

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #155 on: January 14, 2004, 08:51:50 am »

When I re-rip songs at a higher bitrate, these new versions don't get updated when synching the iPod -- i.e. after a sync, the songs on the iPod are still the "old" ones at the lower bitrate.  Other changes to the tags seem to get updated (like changing capitalization errors in the song titles) but the songs remain at their old bitrate.  I confirmed that the MC has the new, higher bitrate versions and that the "old" songs at the lower bitrate are gone.

If I actually delete the old songs on the iPod I can get them to update, but I obviously shouldn't have to do this -- it requires me to remember all the CDs I re-ripped.

Thanks for any help with this,

Larry

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #156 on: January 14, 2004, 11:46:48 am »

Maybe it's just me but I am having a lot of trouble getting anything onto my iPod in the first place.  I send the files to the iPod.  Go to the manager and hit transfer.  MC says it's doing it, and claims success... but when the process finishes there are no files on the ipod.  I have tried formatting, but I don't know what else to try.  I though maybe synching would work better but I can't figure out how to do that either.  Any help appreciated. (MC 9.1)

Can you give some more info:

Are you using fiewire or USB?
Did you format and initialise or just initialise?
Do you have iTUNES installed?
Are you using any other apps with your iPOD?

I'm using firewire.

I suppose I just formatted, but I can't find the option to initialize.  I right click on the ipod in the tree and there is only one option: format.  I tried to do it again and I got a message format failed.  It seems that my iPod is not letting MC do anything to it for some reason.  I did have iTunes installed.  At that time I transfered some files to the ipod to see if media center would see them.  It did not (but they were there I could play them from the ipod and through itunes on the ipod)  I have uninstalled iTunes but the problem remains the same.

I'm not using any other apps with the ipod.  I only went back to iTunes to test whether my ipod was working at all.  The ipod has the latest firmware update: 2.0.1.  I don't know if that matters.
Ben

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #157 on: January 14, 2004, 11:56:17 am »

Dave T,

I have exactly the same problem as you're experiencing, re MC 'disappearing' when converting files on the fly.  

My entire library is in Monkey's Audio (APE) format.  I have had an ongoing saga (since version 9.1.25x) whereby MC will disappear when skipping files that already exist on the iPod, when 'convert on the fly' is selected.

I'm afraid I've found no solution - there must be a bug in this feature somewhere.  Steve did a few changes that he thought might fix it, but unfortunately it hasn't.  It only happens when you use the convert-on-the-fly option.

I can also confirm that conversion takes many hours for me too - but this isn't a bug; it really does take that long.  I have an Athlon 2600 (2.1ghz) and it takes about 24 hours for me to convert and sync around 4000 files.   That's from APE to MP3, but MP3 to MP3 is very similar (what could be considered a bug is that MC has to decode from MP3 to WAV, then re-encode from WAV to MP3.  I am not sure, but it seems to me it should be possible just to 'downgrade' the MP3 without first converting to WAV, which might be a bit quicker. But even if that were possible, it's still going to take many hours for 000s of files)

Now, as for solutions - I adopted the approach recommended by someone else in this forum.  I took every one of my files, and converted them to MP3 at the bitrate I wanted for my iPod.  To do this I used the Convert Format option, and specified to move them to a new location, but not to update the library or delete the originals, and I also specified to Skip Duplicates.  Under the Move options, I specified to create a Album\Artist structure.

I thus ended up with a new directory structure with all the files in MP3 format (note, the new directory structure will not be exactly the same as your original - it will be in true Artist\Album format, so any multi-artist albums will become spread across multiple directories.  But this shouldn't be too much of a pain given the purpose of this copy)

I then imported my new directory into MC, and changed my view filters so that my normal view excluded them all, and I had a separate filter that showed just the copy.  It's important to reimport them, because the 'Skip Duplicates' option of Convert Format can only skip a file if it exists in the library.  Skip Duplicates is handy becaues when I add new files to my library, I can still select all files, and do a convert, and know that anything already converted won't be done again (just remember to do a re-import on your copy dir after each convert)

Then when syncing to the pod I just sync the copy directory, and my 4000 tracks go across in about 20 mins.

I agree this is a little messy - however it only takes a few mins to set up the new view filters, and once you've done a convert on all your files, you won't have to do them again.  Although Steve will hopefully fix the 'Disappearing MC' bug, nothing can get around the fact that it takes a long time to convert many GBs of files to another format.  If you want to be able to quickly choose which files to put on there, you'll need a copy of them in your required format.

Hope that's of some help!

Tom

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2004, 12:36:24 pm »

bbogart:

That's the problem.

After using updater to format your iPOD, when you next connect and run MC it should say "iPOD is not correctly formatted for MC" or similar.

As you are only seeing one option on Right Click it means MC just sees it as a drive and not as an iPOD.

When clicking on the + next to the iPOD you should see Plalist/Artist/Albums/Genre folders. My guess is you're not seeing this and consequently don't have the right click menu.

As MC is seeing your iPOD as just a drive the plug-in doesn't have an iPOD to sync with. That's why you're not getting any songs on it.

There was another post with the same problem but I can't remember the fix.

Do a search or wait for SteveG to read your post. He'll know the answer.

The problem isn't with MC you'll be pleased to know.

EDIT:

WOW! Just made Galactic Citizen. 4 stars is good!

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2004, 12:42:36 pm »

Tom:

Thanks!!  That helps a lot.  Not the least reason being that at least I now know I'm not alone in my woes.  It's sure starting to sound like "convert on the fly" doesn't work.  I'm really surprised that a lot more people aren't using this - I'd think everyone would want higher bit rate files on their computer than they want on their IPod.  Looks like we're in the minority, though.

Regarding the speed of the transcoding on the fly - I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's waaaaaay slower than it should be, or needs to be.  When I did the same thing using MusicMatch (which came with the IPod), it only took a few hours.  With MC, it seems like it would take at least 50 hours, if I could actually get it to finish without crashing, which I can't.  I know MC has a better codec, and that's one reason I'd prefer to use it, but 10 times as long?  Surely the code needs to be optimized somewhere.

Anyway, I'm in the process of doing what you're suggesting.  The one difference is that I'm planning on creating a seperate library containing the "shrunken" files - I'd rather not have them in my main library, and have to set filters to hide them.

So, I tried to do the "convert audio files" last night, and it ran through roughly 600 of my roughly 5000 mp3's, and then locked up.  When I try to start it again, it doesn't work- just locks up.  I'm going bang my head against it a little more tonight - maybe I can figure out what's wrong.

- Dave

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2004, 12:55:02 pm »

bbogart:

That's the problem.

After using updater to format your iPOD, when you next connect and run MC it should say "iPOD is not correctly formatted for MC" or similar.

As you are only seeing one option on Right Click it means MC just sees it as a drive and not as an iPOD.

When clicking on the + next to the iPOD you should see Plalist/Artist/Albums/Genre folders. My guess is you're not seeing this and consequently don't have the right click menu.

As MC is seeing your iPOD as just a drive the plug-in doesn't have an iPOD to sync with. That's why you're not getting any songs on it.

EDIT:

Confirming your suspicion.  I see calendar contacts ipod_control and notes when I expand the ipod tree, not playlists etc.
Ben

tjobbins

• World Citizen
« Reply #161 on: January 14, 2004, 03:11:10 pm »

Dave,

I must admit I haven't done a speed comparison with MC and another convertor - that would be an interesting test.  I'll give it a go and see if I see what you're seeing.

I tried the multi-library idea at first, too, but I think that the Skip Duplicates option only checks files in the current library - and I could find no way of loading more than one library at once.

Not sure what to suggest re your lockup - I've not experienced that.

Tom

SteveG

« Reply #162 on: January 14, 2004, 04:55:05 pm »

Everyone,

Sorry for being out of touch, there is a lot going on here. I have to run for the day, but will try to get caught up in here soon.

Steve

btvillarin

« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2004, 05:07:29 pm »

Everyone,

Sorry for being out of touch, there is a lot going on here. I have to run for the day, but will try to get caught up in here soon.

Steve
I hope that's a good thing!  ;D

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
Non Playing audible and missing playlists
« Reply #164 on: January 15, 2004, 02:13:03 am »

Steve,

Went to listen to my audible tracks and found that none of them would play.

This was after a sync that did not include any new AA files or any AA transfers to the iPOD (I always have all my AAs on the iPOD).

I deleted the AA files from the iPOD and then transferred them back again. (Transfer - not sync).

Audible files played fine - except I was left with only 5 playlists (The first 5 as I have them prefixed by numbers for sorting purposes).

The playlist list contained the first 5 followed by a blank line followed by the on-the-go playlist.

Re-docked iPOD.

Right clicking on the iPODgot the retrieve file info box. All playlists showed up as being on the iPOD.

Right clicked again to eject the iPOD and got the hh box!

I'm sending you my iTUNESdb and a new one that I haven't seen before -  iTUNESdb.lastknowngood! What's this?

Just to be clear - at no time have I used audible manager prior to having this problem.

Ash

Flyer

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #165 on: January 15, 2004, 05:01:26 am »

Hi

Using MC 9.1, I tried to dl a couple of tracks to my iPod, but MC wouldn't finish the transfer process. I had to shut MC down (just a normal close). Now, there is no music or playlists on the iPod; if I click on the iPod in MC, MC immediately shuts down. I can see files in Explorer (in folders F00, F01, etc), so I would guess the indexes have been corrupted. I have dl ver 10 of MC, but that also immediately shuts down.

Is this a re-format or is there a simpler solution? Damn annoying!

Andrew

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #166 on: January 15, 2004, 10:19:00 am »

Steve,

I mentioned this awhile back and it still occurs for me, no change ever. Audible files do not play on my 40g 3g iPod. I only have one item on the iPod, so I haven't gone to all the trouble Ash has reformating and all that. But I would really use Audible a lot more if it worked.

I mention this again not only because he and several others are bringing it up again, but also because I've not moved up to v. 10 yet and I am still having this problem.

thanks.

Here's my info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 2003 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 104 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1276 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: 4.71 (0001) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-2002 Adaptec, Inc. / Aspi32.sys: 4.71 (0001)

Ripping /   Drive F:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Drive G:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: Yes /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\Windows XP Exclamation.wav

Burning /  Drive F: SONY     DVD RW DRU-510A    Addr: 1:1:0  Speed:24  MaxSpeed:24  BurnProof:Yes
  Drive G: PLEXTOR  CD-R   PX-W4012A   Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #167 on: January 15, 2004, 01:03:03 pm »

Regarding the speed of the transcoding on the fly - I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's waaaaaay slower than it should be, or needs to be.  When I did the same thing using MusicMatch (which came with the IPod), it only took a few hours.  With MC, it seems like it would take at least 50 hours, if I could actually get it to finish without crashing, which I can't.

thought i would chime in as well, since i store my music in .ape format on my PC and convert it to .mp3 VBR when sending to my iPod.

it definitely takes me several days to "convert on the fly" and send to my iPod, but that hasn't been an issue for me, since i figured that would be the case when i chose the .ape format. however, the conversion-on-the-fly seems buggy - i cross my fingers every time i need to re-load my iPod. i no longer try to load all of the files at once bcs. when i have tried that, inevitably there is some sort of snag that crashes the transfer (since it takes several days to load my iPod.)

i have found that MC converts the .ape files 10 files at a time, and then sends them to the iPod. after that initial 10 songs, I never again see the "Transferring files to device" pop-up that shows the transfer and the progress, just one that says "Analyzing Audio Files." also, once that first group of 10 files are loaded, the queue disappears, and the view defaults to the files that are loaded on the iPod. both of these issues are relatively recent - that is, when i first started using MC in June, 2003, these were not issues.

whatever the case, i hope that the new versions of MC10 will make the conversion from .ape to .mp3 more stable.

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #168 on: January 15, 2004, 02:07:01 pm »

problem:

uploaded the Strokes Album "Is This It" to my iPod yesterday. the first song ("Is This It") - whose actual time is 2:35, appeared on my iPod as 17:04 long. i deleted the song from my iPod, re-loaded, and this time it was off by just 1 second. took a look at all of the other songs from that album, and noticed their times are all off on the iPod. (to clarify, the track times on my c:/ drive are identical to the track times on the original CD.)

Track   c:/   ipod
1   2:35   2:36
2   3:32   3:33
3   2:27   2:38
4   3:58   3:59
5   3:07   3:09
6   3:12   3:13
7   3:17   3:18
8   3:48   3:49
9   2:57   2:58
10   3:27   3:28
11   3:16   3:17

decided to check another album (randomly) to see if there is the same problem, so i chose Oasis' "What's The Story." well, it looks like it is the same story as the Strokes:

Track   c:/   ipod
1   3:22   22:50
2   3:59   4:02
3   4:18   4:21
4   4:47   4:49
5   5:41   5:44
6   :44   :47
7   5:28   5:30
8   4:51   4:52
9   3:40   3:43
10   5:03   5:04
11   :39   :41
12   7:27   7:28

i have also been noticing (since re-formatting/re-loading with an MC 10 beta from last week) that my iPod won't allow even one more song to be loaded, even though it says there is 30.3MB of space free on the iPod. (guessing this is related.)

did a sort on my iPod by duration and am noticing that track 1 of certain albums has the biggest discrepancy (lots of songs that are list at 25+ minutes, that are actually 2-3 minutes). other songs seem to be off by just a few seconds.

i have the latest iPod plugin installed.

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2004, 03:14:04 pm »

bbogart:

That's the problem.

EDIT:

Confirming your suspicion.  I see calendar contacts ipod_control and notes when I expand the ipod tree, not playlists etc.

I fixed it.  Somehow WMDM was enabled in the plug-in configuration.  Thanks, mindracing, for the comments.  They helped me figure out what was going on....
Ben

Dave T

• World Citizen
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2004, 04:32:34 pm »

Regarding the speed of the transcoding on the fly - I hear what you're saying, but I still think it's waaaaaay slower than it should be, or needs to be.  When I did the same thing using MusicMatch (which came with the IPod), it only took a few hours.  With MC, it seems like it would take at least 50 hours, if I could actually get it to finish without crashing, which I can't.

thought i would chime in as well, since i store my music in .ape format on my PC and convert it to .mp3 VBR when sending to my iPod.

it definitely takes me several days to "convert on the fly" and send to my iPod, but that hasn't been an issue for me, since i figured that would be the case when i chose the .ape format. however, the conversion-on-the-fly seems buggy - i cross my fingers every time i need to re-load my iPod. i no longer try to load all of the files at once bcs. when i have tried that, inevitably there is some sort of snag that crashes the transfer (since it takes several days to load my iPod.)

i have found that MC converts the .ape files 10 files at a time, and then sends them to the iPod. after that initial 10 songs, I never again see the "Transferring files to device" pop-up that shows the transfer and the progress, just one that says "Analyzing Audio Files." also, once that first group of 10 files are loaded, the queue disappears, and the view defaults to the files that are loaded on the iPod. both of these issues are relatively recent - that is, when i first started using MC in June, 2003, these were not issues.

whatever the case, i hope that the new versions of MC10 will make the conversion from .ape to .mp3 more stable.

Packy:

Huh!!  Well, I think that explains some of my problems.  I have seen exactly what you describe - that it just sits there saying "Analyzing audio files".  So, it's actually still running?  I think it's a serious problem that it does this - how are you supposed to know that it isn't locked up?  Without any user feedback, I think there are very few people that would wait several days before they decided that it was locked up.  Hopefully, this will be fixed soon.

Regarding the speed - you're a more patient man than me!  It really doesn't need to be so slow.  

- Dave

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2004, 05:46:29 pm »

I have seen exactly what you describe - that it just sits there saying "Analyzing audio files".  So, it's actually still running?  I think it's a serious problem that it does this - how are you supposed to know that it isn't locked up?

to clarify, "Analyzing Audio Files" only appears when it used to pop-up and read "Transferring To Device." MC seems to transfer the songs and then it usually hangs for a bit and then recommences decoding/encoding.

the reason that i know it is still transferring is that when i started from scratch and the ipod was empty, i could see songs 10-19 and 20-29 appear on the ipod view right after "Analyzing Audio Files" popped up. once the view of the ipod was filled with the first 40 songs or so, there is no way to scroll to check, so i just let it keep running, and eventually it fills up. however, if you are loading a lot of songs to your ipod that already has music on it, you cannot tell whether songs are loaded until after it is complete, and you go back and check.

i have posted this problem several times in this forum, but haven't rcvd. much of a response. i guess i just let it drop bcs. i was happy to have music on my ipod. - and since it is 30GB, i don't transfer music that often.

Regarding the speed - you're a more patient man than me!

ignorant may be a better description than patient.

serf

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #172 on: January 15, 2004, 07:45:38 pm »

tlongacre:

Me, too, on Audible files, using 10.[current]

Steve

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2004, 01:41:50 am »

I've been reading through this list and it seems that others have the same problem but I didn't find the solution.

I synched my iPod With playlistes containing about 250 ape files using transcoding.  It took about an hour, maybe 1.5.  I went back and decided that I didn't want the songs on one of the playlists after all but I did want the songs on another so I checked the one I wanted in they synch dialoge, unchecked the other and checked "delete unselected files from portable".  All my files were deleated ranther than just the 3 files on the playlist I unchecked, and the process of transfering all the files began anew.  Is this normal behavior?  Is there a way to fix it so MC only deletes the files not in the playlists you are synching?

Thanks,
Ben
Ben

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2004, 07:41:41 am »

10.0.29 is the last build that will allow me to play Audible files on my iPod. The only way I can get the ability to play Audible files is to go back to the last version of 9.x, reinitialize the iPod and sync, and then reinstall 10.0.29. This build works perfectly for .aa files and I can import, delete and sync without any problems.

Bill McNair

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #175 on: January 16, 2004, 08:19:52 am »

10.0.29 is the last build that will allow me to play Audible files on my iPod. The only way I can get the ability to play Audible files is to go back to the last version of 9.x, reinitialize the iPod and sync, and then reinstall 10.0.29. This build works perfectly for .aa files and I can import, delete and sync without any problems.

Bill McNair

Ah Ha.

I am running 10.0.32 and have the non playing problem.

I hadn't made a connection with the build and non-playing aa files. I don't have build .29 to test.

Steve, is rolling back to .28 of any value. Can I just install over the top?

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #176 on: January 16, 2004, 09:37:27 am »

I've tried it twice so far, and what I'm doing is unstalling 10, then rebooting, then I install the last version of MC9. I then reinitialize the iPod and sync. At some point MC9 will ask you for you Audible username and password, then once that is done you are good to go and you can install 10.0.29.

I have never had any problems with 10.0.29 and suspect that the audible user ID and password is getting deleted in all versions after 10.0.29.

Bill McNair

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #177 on: January 16, 2004, 09:59:04 am »

That' a new one on me. Iv'e never been asked for a username and password by MC.

It makes sense to have though.

Steve
Is there something I'm missing?

juggler

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #178 on: January 16, 2004, 10:25:37 am »

I'm having trouble with sync'ing to my iPod. After sync there are no playlists on the iPod and a lot of songs have duplicate titles and won't play. When I initialize the iPod (from MC) and resync it's ok but then when I sync later the problem comes back.

I've recently upgraded to 2.1 on the iPod and always take auto-updates to MC9.1.

Anyone else been having this problem?

Tx

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #179 on: January 16, 2004, 10:29:54 am »

So now I have a problem.

Whilst trying to progress the AA file playing problem I had to retore the iPOD.

Updater runs and restores the iPOD saying ,Ipod is now restored please leave connected while it completes the restore process.

At this point the iPOD displays OK to disconnect. I disconnect it and it is still in disc mode. MC just sees it as a drive.

I have reinstalled the updater with the same result.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

bbogart

• Recent member
« Reply #180 on: January 16, 2004, 11:22:22 am »

So now I have a problem.

Whilst trying to progress the AA file playing problem I had to retore the iPOD.

Updater runs and restores the iPOD saying ,Ipod is now restored please leave connected while it completes the restore process.

At this point the iPOD displays OK to disconnect. I disconnect it and it is still in disc mode. MC just sees it as a drive.

I have reinstalled the updater with the same result.

I'm stumped.

Any ideas?

This sounds a lot like the problem I had they you helped me fix.  I'm not sure but you may want to double check that the enable WMDM support didn't get checked in the handheld plug-in manager.  It probably something else but that is worth a check.

Ben
Ben

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #181 on: January 16, 2004, 11:27:22 am »

Blech! I just went back to MC9 for the third time, and this time I didn't get audible playback back. I've seen the MC9 dialog box, where it asks for the Audible password, several times, but I didn't get it this time.

I am now syncing my iPod for the second time today, and I'm not going to do it again, since it take 1.5 -2 hours, but I will tomorrow after I blow away the MC9 hives in the registry and then try it again.

This is depressing since I'm on the fifth part of the Company and I want to know what is going on.

Bill McNair

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #182 on: January 16, 2004, 12:38:30 pm »

I'm using 10.32 and have not had any problems playing .aa files on my ipod.  I imported (using drag & drop) and then tansfered a book to the ipod shortly after installing 10.32.  It worked just fine and did not mess up my other .aa files that were already on the ipod.  That was the first thing I tested and the book that me and my son were listening to played fine and started right at my last position.

Not sure if it helps but I always drag and drop when importing .aa files into my library.

Thanks
Tim

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #183 on: January 16, 2004, 12:53:45 pm »

I'm using 10.32 and have not had any problems playing .aa files on my ipod.  I imported (using drag & drop) and then tansfered a book to the ipod shortly after installing 10.32.  It worked just fine and did not mess up my other .aa files that were already on the ipod.  That was the first thing I tested and the book that me and my son were listening to played fine and started right at my last position.

Not sure if it helps but I always drag and drop when importing .aa files into my library.

Thanks
Tim

Can you answer the following please?

Since your last iPOD format/restore usinmg the Updater, have you at any time had the iPOD connected with Audible Manager running?

Are you using iTUNES or do you have iPOD manager running when using Audible Manager?

Did you play the AA files in MC or Audible Manager before transfering to iPOD using MC?

Thanks.

TarbhUisge

• Recent member
  • Hunting Druids; for their shoes...
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2004, 01:43:54 pm »

Is there a method for getting the playlists on an iPod back into MC?

Example: I am using my iPod as a drive (so I've imported all the songs into MC) and I can view the iPod playlists from the Handhelds section but I would like to 'bring' those PLs back into MC.  The origin of this is because I noticed that is I play a song on the iPod via the Handhelds section is does NOT recognized the analysis settings of the file (it does it I import them but I can't seem to 'easily' recreate the playlists...)....

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks-Tim

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2004, 01:48:18 pm »

mindracing,  
1.  have you at any time had the iPOD connected with Audible Manager running?  No, I never ever let AM touch my ipod because that definitely caused me problems in the past.

2. Are you using iTUNES or do you have iPOD manager running when using Audible Manager?  I use iTunes only to purchase songs and never connect the ipod while iTunes is running.  I even updated to the current iTunes 4.2 just a couple of days ago and thought it might cause a problem but it didn't.  As for ipod manager.  I do not have that on my PC anymore because that was causing ipod connection problems.

3. Did you play the AA files in MC or Audible Manager before transfering to iPOD using MC?  I did play the AA file for a few seconds in MC before transfering it but I never played it in AM.

One last note I'll mention.  Probably isn't a big deal but I haven't purchased any iTunes songs or transfered any in a month or so.

I hope that helps because I no what a pain it can be when this problem occurs.  It happened to me a few months ago but has long since be working just fine.
Thanks
Tim

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #186 on: January 16, 2004, 01:58:31 pm »

Tim,

What do you mean by drag & drop? drag from where? drop to where?

Thanks.

SteveG

« Reply #187 on: January 16, 2004, 02:11:56 pm »

Everyone,

Thanks for helping out answering questions.

bvm,

Currently you need to avoid moving files from MC to iPod, then removing them from MC, reimporting them and then trying to resync them without removing them from iPod first. This problem will go away soon.

Pepper,

Thanks for the update.

RemyJ,

By deselecting 'Show files at root' no track information is reported back at the root level to save time, this is why no track information shows under Artists, etc.

jhelmus,

FYI I think the limitation is 50 characters.

Dave, tjobbins, packyb,

You all are having problems transcoding on the fly many gigs of files. I would be interested to know if you have a similar problem transcoding the same files from within MC without transferring to the iPod. This would isolate the problem as a transcoding issue rather than and iPod issue (the same code for transcoding occurs in both places). Regardless, I will have  to set up a test tranferring/transcoding 20gig of files here to see what I can see. I have not had time to do this but will try to get to it and see what I can do.  

Bryan,

The PC clock and iPod clock should be set the same.

Bob,

No not yet.

Tim,

There is not a way to do this.

Larry,

If MC has both copies of the file (old and newly ripped songs) these function as two seperate songs, even if the tag information is the same except for the bitrate. Playlists will be synched with whichever of the two unique songs are present in them within MC.

Andrew,

Try removing your iTunesDB file from your iPod and then run MC and do a right click on the iPod drive letter and select 'Rebuild database from iPod'. You will lose your Playlsits, but you can get them again on a subsequent synch.

AA people, Ash, tlongacre, Bill, serf,

Nothing has changed with the aa stuff for a while. I need to sort out what is going on with their licensing and will do so when I can.

Packyb,

The one second off issue is a necessary evil for now. For the tracks off by a lot, when you are telling me the 'actual time' is that the actual time as reported by MC?  

In regards to the 30 MB, MC reserves space on the iPod to write the database and other information. I can try to trim it down, but don't want to cut it too close.

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #188 on: January 16, 2004, 02:28:40 pm »

OK, stupid me.

I was finally able to get aa support back. This is what I did.

1. Unstall MC10, reboot, install MC9.
2. Restore iPod, intialize, then sync with MC9
3. Install any version of MC10 prior to and including 10.0.29.

The reason it didn't work the last time is that I failed to do the restore. And please remember not install any versions of MC10 after 10.0.29

Hope this helps someone.

Bill McNair

thtv01

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #189 on: January 16, 2004, 02:43:40 pm »

tlongacre -

What do you mean by drag & drop? drag from where? drop to where?  From within MC using the file tree.  I expand my computer and find the .aa file that I want to import and then I drag it to Media Library in the file tree.  The file is now in MC's library and ready to be transferred to the ipod.

Thanks
Tim

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #190 on: January 16, 2004, 03:01:52 pm »

Larry,

If MC has both copies of the file (old and newly ripped songs) these function as two seperate songs, even if the tag information is the same except for the bitrate. Playlists will be synched with whichever of the two unique songs are present in them within MC.

But MC does NOT have both copies.  I used the "overwrite files if they already exist" option, AND I made sure to confirm that the "old" version (at the lower bitrate) was indeed gone in MC.  The ONLY version of the songs in MC was the new, higher bitrate version, yet MC still "skipped" these songs when doing a sync.  The really odd thing is that the actual tags on these songs on the iPod were still updated with a couple capitalization corrections.  The songs, however, were still at the lower bitrate on the iPod.

When MC does a sync, you can acually "see" any new songs get transferred by watching for the sync to "slow down" on these songs.  I watched the entire sync, and it NEVER slowed down after re-ripping the songs.  In other words, the tags were updated without "slowing down," but the songs were still "skipped," leaving me with the low bitrate songs on the iPod.

Once I manually DELETED these songs from the iPod in MC, THEN the new ones showed up when syncing -- I could see MC slow down on these songs during the sync, and I confirmed that NOW they were the higher bitrate.

I hope that's enough detail, but if you need more, please let me know.

Larry

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #191 on: January 16, 2004, 03:47:10 pm »

tlongacre -

What do you mean by drag & drop? drag from where? drop to where?  From within MC using the file tree.  I expand my computer and find the .aa file that I want to import and then I drag it to Media Library in the file tree.  The file is now in MC's library and ready to be transferred to the ipod.

Thanks
Tim

Hmm, I'm glad I asked. I've never done that. Believe it or not, I've gone out to Windows Explorer and then done and import in MC 'cause it never occurred to me that it could be done this way. Like drinking Guiness in a bottle -- brilliant!

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #192 on: January 16, 2004, 03:50:17 pm »

AA people, Ash, tlongacre, Bill, serf,

Nothing has changed with the aa stuff for a while. I need to sort out what is going on with their licensing and will do so when I can.

Is "when I can" in this decade? Just wondering if I should be anxiously anticipating this or forget about it again until someone else mentions it. . .

Thanks.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #193 on: January 16, 2004, 04:01:18 pm »

But MC does NOT have both copies.  I used the "overwrite files if they already exist" option, AND I made sure to confirm that the "old" version (at the lower bitrate) was indeed gone in MC.  The ONLY version of the songs in MC was the new, higher bitrate version, yet MC still "skipped" these songs when doing a sync.  The really odd thing is that the actual tags on these songs on the iPod were still updated with a couple capitalization corrections.  The songs, however, were still at the lower bitrate on the iPod.

This sounds like essentially the same bug/misfeature I reported back on page 1 of this thread.  At the time, I deemed it inconvenient but not a showstopper, and Steve was reluctant to put in the extra checking to detect this case...

Since this seems like not too bad of an issue for you, lets hold on this for a bit. The fix will have side effects that are not a net gain. It does require some extra checking which will slow things down a little and I think this is pretty uncommon, so if you are not too worked up about it lets wait. If anyone else sees adding this ability to the plugin as a plus, please voice your opinion.

So maybe you're voicing your opinion? :)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #194 on: January 16, 2004, 04:13:05 pm »

Packyb,

The one second off issue is a necessary evil for now. For the tracks off by a lot, when you are telling me the 'actual time' is that the actual time as reported by MC?  

actual time = actual time reported when i load the CD in to the E:/ drive on my computer and MC reads the time of each track. (if i check using other music software, they read the track time as the same.) that time is the same as the time reported by MC when it has been ripped as an .ape file on to my hard drive.

i also wanted to point out again that the tracks that are off by the most amount of time are almost all track 1 of various CDs.

In regards to the 30 MB, MC reserves space on the iPod to write the database and other information. I can try to trim it down, but don't want to cut it too close.

thanks for looking into this as well steve. i used to be able to load music on until there was closer to 10MB left. another thing to note is that when i used to transfer to the ipod and there were too many files and not enough space on the ipod, i would receive some sort of "not enough space" message, now i do not.

Dave, tjobbins, packyb,

You all are having problems transcoding on the fly many gigs of files. I would be interested to know if you have a similar problem transcoding the same files from within MC without transferring to the iPod. This would isolate the problem as a transcoding issue rather than and iPod issue (the same code for transcoding occurs in both places). Regardless, I will have  to set up a test tranferring/transcoding 20gig of files here to see what I can see. I have not had time to do this but will try to get to it and see what I can do.  

just to clarify, i only need to load 11 files on to the ipod to experience this problem - not 20GB. also, i just transcoded an album within MC and there was no problem. everything went well.

a2hoo

play count syncing?
« Reply #195 on: January 17, 2004, 09:38:31 am »

I havent read all 4 pages to be honest

I thought media center supports play count in the ipod.  When I hook up the ipod (which I sync through itunes right now), the data shows up in media center in hard drive mode (i can see artist, track, etc).  However, te play count field is 0 for all songs, despite the fact that the ipod/itunes has much different info.

DOes media center only support number of plays from the media center end (And not as calculated by itunes)?  

This would be a barrier for me.... having .aac tags show up in medaicenter is a big plus.  But, if the play count doesn't change when I play the track, this is disappointing.  I have many .aac songs and would like to keep accurate play counts (I use this extensively in my smart lists)

please advise! thanks!

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #196 on: January 17, 2004, 10:40:34 am »

iPOD's now back and functioning again.

Synched all mp3s and then dra and dropped my AA files as suggested.

None of them play.

Maybe this is a registry thing.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #197 on: January 17, 2004, 11:55:19 am »

Did any of you have this experience?

Just upgraded to v.10 (finally). That worked fine, even the registration and everything. One of the reasons I did this was because I wasn't getting playcounts from the iPod into MC v.9 and thought this might've been fixed.

Anyway, when I stuck the iPod into the dock, I got a message saying the iPod was not formatted to be used in the PC. Huh? Been doing it up until now. I said cancel, went into MC and sure enough, the iPod doesn't show up. Hmmph.

I just hadn't heard this happening to anyone so I was surprised.

btvillarin

« Reply #198 on: January 17, 2004, 10:12:35 pm »

I made sure the clocks are both the same.  I even completely uninstalled and reinstalled MC9.  Same result though.  :(

RemyJ

« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2004, 01:52:08 am »

RemyJ,

By deselecting 'Show files at root' no track information is reported back at the root level to save time, this is why no track information shows under Artists, etc.

Did a little more investigation....  Try to reproduce this:

Uncheck "Show files at root"
Restart MC
Expand the root entry (don't select it first)
Expand Albums and select one
You should see tracks.
Now select the root entry.
You should see no tracks.
Go back and select the album you selected earlier.
I no longer see tracks.  I see the entries for the albums but they all show no track entries.  Same for artists and genres.

It seems that if Show file at root is unchecked you can only see track entries in albums, artists and genres until the first time you select the root.

Is it supposed to be like this?

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up