INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE  (Read 64313 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Re:POST IPOD SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2003, 10:21:54 am »

Barry,

If you left click on the Safely Remove Hardware icon in your sys tray what does it list the iPOD as?

Apple iPOD or Mass storage device?

If it is the latter then the problem is most likely the iPOD. I'm not aware of anyone else having this problem with MC (Except me and you) and I would bet my lunch it's the iPOD or the way it's formatted.

I know this doesn't help much. If you only just got it I would send it back and get another. Tell Apple it keeps failing and they'll swap it. At least then we'll know if it is the iPOD or not!

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2003, 10:51:35 am »

Mindracing:
Good thought, but the Safely Remove Hardware icon does list correctly as "Apple Ipod".

Thanks anyway,

BarryT

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2003, 12:21:36 pm »

BarryT,

When you see the 'Format' option, can you go to Tools->Plugin-Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives->Configure and make sure 'Enable WMDM support' is unchecked? If this option is checked, you would see what you are describing.  How it could be getting set/unset sponataneously would be a mystery.

bvm and Ashley,

In regards to the slowness when deleting files not in sync, I just reworked this so it should be much faster. I will post it later today and perhaps then you can let me know how it works for you with many files. My testing was with a relatively small number.

gbdesai,

I will try to replicate this. If you find out any more, please let me know.

bthall

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2003, 01:43:42 pm »

BarryT,

When you see the 'Format' option, can you go to Tools->Plugin-Manager->Handheld->Portable Drives->Configure and make sure 'Enable WMDM support' is unchecked? If this option is checked, you would see what you are describing.  How it could be getting set/unset sponataneously would be a mystery.

Steve:

EUREKA!!!  I thinks that's it!!!!!!!  I just plugged in the iPod 3 times and each time MC10 got it right.

Can't thank you enough.

You all might want to put a little explanation right next to the check box for WMDM so you don't have to spend as much time in the future with people like me... ;D

Thanks again,
BarryT

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
  • Being is Important......... being important is not
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2003, 02:28:10 pm »

I am not sure this is the right place to post this but it is iPod/ver10 related. If not let me know and I will move it. I paid for the upgrade from 9.1 to version 10. Version 10 works okay on my PC but now I can not upload songs to my iPod. I have tried the “send to” and the “sync” options. Over the past 2 days Ive tried at least 20 different times, each time having to Restore(format) and then Initializing the iPod in MC10. Each time the transfer would start but would freeze up at one point and then would run through the remaining files real fast, not uploading them. After MC said the transfer was complete and I would close that window, I would get the error message that the majority of the files could not be uploaded because of error “0" or “2". And it also says the files cannot be loaded because the playlist exceeded the size limit. Also after this happens my ipod is dismounted in MC9 and Windows with the “do not disconnect” message on the iPod screen. Even after reboot it does not see the iPod. I have no choice but to disconect the iPod with the “do not disconnect” message on the iPod screen and start all over with the restore process. I am using the same playlist that I had used in Ver 9.1 and know that the playlist worked before with room to spare. I have a 10 gig iPod and my old playlist was around 1800 songs. I have tried to cutting the playlist in half(1000) so I could at least listen to some songs on the iPod but the upload continues to fail. After faliure I can browse the iPod(about), no songs can be seen and it reports that 7.5 gigs are available on my 10 gig ipod. I recently updated my “Updater” to 1.3, but uninstalled that and went back to 1.2.6. It does not work either. Am I missing something. Is this a problem in Version 10. I would like to go back to version 9 but cannot get it to reinstall and run correctly, I keep gettting a Media Core error message. I would like to just uninstall ver 10 until the bugs are worked out but don’t want to loose all my settings. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to either get ver10 to work or how to get ver9 reinstalled without losing all my settings and playlist. I can usually figure things out on my own given enough time, but I have tried everything I know to try with no luck. I have not had much luck getting replies to my post in this forum and cannot figure out why. Maybe my questions are dumb, but never the less I still do not know the answers and would appreciate any feedback even if it is negative. Thank you for your input and understanding.
Coscar

SteveG

« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2003, 03:33:18 pm »

BarryT,

Glad you are all set.

Coscar,

Since this is the iPod thread, let me respond under the assumption that you will keep MC 10 and not try to go backwards, which is what is best from the iPod point of view. If you decide you want to go back to 9, please start a new thread with that as the topic and we can go from there.

The error code 2 is a Windows error that means the file cannot be found. My best guess is that somewhere in your upgrade your library got mixed up and you have filepaths that are no longer valid. You can test this by finding a file that failed going to iPod and try playing it within MC. My hunch is that it won't play either. The other problems could be a number of things. I would suggest that you Format your iPod from Windows explorer, disconnect and reconnect the player and then run MC and select 'Intialize from the right click menu. At this point you will have a clean iPod with no files on it and you should be ready to go. Try synchronizing or sending a small batch of files and make sure all is OK. If all is well, try the sync go forward and lets take it from there.

Steve

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2003, 05:11:51 pm »

Hi Steve,
Thanx for replying. 99% of the files that are failing to upload are error code 0. I think of the more than 20 times that I have now tried I only noticed one or two error code 2.  I checked a bunch of the files that failed to upload and did not find any that would not work from within MC. The only thing I saw that struck me as odd was in the error window the first two file paths were listed as follows. M:\mymusic\stevewinwood\chronicles\whileyouseeachance.mp3........... then on the same line 1117M:\mymusic\stevewinwood\chronicles\whileyouseeachance.mp3-1117
the next file is listed as M:\mymusic\stevewinwood\chronicles\arcofadiver.mp3......... then on the same line.......
87 M:\mymusic\stevewinwood\chronicles\arcofadiver.mp3-87. The rest of the errors(7gig worth) are all listed one to a line with the error code 0. No error code 2. I tried changing the order of the queued files many times and each time the names of the files that failed to upload is different, but it always starts to fail after about 1.71GB is uploaded. Also after the failed upload, the files that did upload (1.71GB) cannot be seen in MC or on the iPod, but can be seen in Windows Explorer. I had already tried to format in Windows and that didnt work either with the failure at the same point. I had also tried uploading a smaller batch of files but that also failed. I ran scandisk on the ipod drive from windows and found no errors. I have tried the "send to I\" and the "sync" options. Unless you can think of something I havent tried, I guess I am out of options with ver10. If you can think of something else, I will be glad to try it, but I am getting tired of fooling with it. This is my 3rd day. Like I said, everything had been working like a charm in version9 and that might be my best option if I can just get back to ver9 without losing all my settings and playlist. I have tried reinstalling ver9 over version10 because I was afraid of losing my settings, but I kept getting a media core error. I made a few post trying to find out how to get back to ver9 and save my settings but did not get any replies. I am still open to any suggestions. Thanx......... Coscar

TimB

« Reply #57 on: December 30, 2003, 09:17:24 pm »

I only run an iPod update every month or so.

Today I did my first totally painless update from MC to iPod (number plays and last played), reformat and data load!

Thanks Steve!

-=Tim=-
Boy do I LOVE Media Center!!!

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #58 on: December 30, 2003, 11:39:20 pm »

Steve, I am now over 30 reformat/retries and I am getting different results almost everytime. My uploads always quit right at the 1.7 gig level and that is always using different ordered playlist of songs and/or different size playlist. At this point I am becoming concerned about the wear and tear on my poor iPod. I have made a few screencaptures(.jpg) that I would like to send you(if you would allow)that I think might give you better insight on what is happening on my end.
Thanx
Coscar

Endymion

• Recent member
  • I am who I have always been
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2003, 12:00:49 am »

I've tried using the AAC file import in 10.0.25.   After importing about 650 files, MC crashes silently (no error message).  This is a consistent failure.

SteveG

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2003, 10:07:07 am »

Coscar,

I had already tried to format in Windows and that didnt work either

This could very possibly indicate a hardware problem. Can you successfully transfer files to iPod with any other applications?

What Operating System do you have?

Can you try reinitializing the iPod and then transfer only

M:\mymusic\stevewinwood\chronicles\whileyouseeachance.mp3
and
M:\mymusic\stevewinwood\chronicles\arcofadiver.mp3

and see if they fail or succeed.

Error 1117 means.. 'The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error' which is a Windows error reporting a hardware problem.

Please go ahead and email me the screenshots (steve @ jriver.com)

Tim,

Thanks for the update.

Endymion (and Everyone),

Can others duplicate this?

Steve

Chasoscar

• World Citizen
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2003, 12:14:51 pm »

Hi Steve,
The Steve Winwood files will upload fine if I change the playlist, but other files will take their place. It just depends on the order of the upload and which files come after the "1.7gig wall" that I am having problems with. The screenshots are in the mail, I am sending 5 different ones with the subject line "iPod screenshots"
Thanx
Coscar

cct1

• World Citizen
  • I like shiny things
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2003, 12:47:33 pm »

Chasocar:  Make sure your ipod has 1.3--the 1.2 don't support AAC--this may or may not be an issue; I don't think I'd want to be using anything other than 1.3 at this point.  

Which firewire card do you own  (Big shot in the dark here)?  

Were things working fine, and this just recently happend?  Can you synch ok with another program, such as ephpod?  Try synching with ephpod, 'cause this may be a hardware problem, as someone above alluded to.

Pepper

• Recent member
  • OAP Pepper
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2003, 01:55:56 pm »

Hi, I'm having a problem uploading to my iPod (3G, 40GB). I think I've noticed a pattern and a new problem i've not seen documented elsewhere. First the big problem I'm having:

If I try to sync my 200 albums to my clean & initialised iPod at around 50% complete (ish) my pc will completely reboot! I'm running XP Pro. This happened twice, and since I'm still using USB1 until I get my new firewire card, I'm not about to spend another hour and a half for it to fail again. If I look at my ipod after this has happened, it reports that it has no tunes on it, yet 4GB of diskspace has been used (leaving around 32GB free, so yes I'm aware that the file system etc uses space, my clean Ipod has about 37GB free). If I then try to upload any tracks that have already gone on via the sync then I'll get an error code of '0' reported, and more disk space gets used.

The tail end of that is also my second problem. Sometimes media center can crash out when I'm transferring, particularly if I continue to scroll about in the album thumbnail view of my library. If this happens, then odds are that the 10 or so albums that have already been transfered will take up disk space on my iPod, but not actually appear either on the device or in media center's view of my iPod. If I try and upload those files again I'll get an error code 0 reported, but I can still transfer other albums that I have not yet attempted to upload.

My guess here is that the tracks are being loaded onto the iPod's disk, but the iPod's library isn't being updated, but I don't know how the internals of the iPod work. Is there anyway I can get the iPod to recognise that there are tracks uploaded to it that aren't in its library?

I'm running media center 9.1 on XP pro, and version 2.1 of firmware on my iPod.
Visit OAP at www.oldageplaystationers.com
Play online FIFA leagues at www.oapleagues.com

SteveG

« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2003, 02:55:18 pm »

Pepper,

The crashing during the upload could be hardware related. At the point where it crashes, if the files are not visible on iPod the database did not get written, but the files are there. Correct this by right clicking on your iPod drive letter and select 'Rebuild database from iPod' and the files will be visible.

Are you doing file conversions during your Sync?

Can you verify using another program that your hardware is not causing problems?

Steve

Pepper

• Recent member
  • OAP Pepper
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2003, 03:21:11 pm »

Cheers for the quick response steve. I was going to hit that rebuild option, but wasn't entirely clear what it did  :)

What I have discovered though is that I can continue uploading my tracks 1 album at a time and it seems to work. Although I just had a case where the last 4 tracks of an album failed to upload (the rest were fine), but they then went on fine when I did them individually.

I've uninstalled iTunes and removed my musicmatch iPod plugin prior to using music center. I'm not doing conversions, just a straight copy of tracks.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2003, 07:52:53 pm »

In regards to the slowness when deleting files not in sync, I just reworked this so it should be much faster. I will post it later today and perhaps then you can let me know how it works for you with many files.

Thanks, Steve!  I upgraded to 10.0.26 with its 9.0.89 plugin, and on my next synch, "deleting files not in sync" took a mere 22 seconds, a big improvement.

Unfortunately, I also lost all the ratings I made to songs within MC (my recent ratings on the iPod are okay, though a while back I lost all of them, too, probably around the last time I had lost playlist difficulties).  I don't actually know if I lost them this time or on my previous sync (I don't always notice that sort of thing).  But it does lead me to repeat a request I made a long time ago when we were debating keeping ratings in synch -- please never let a zero rating on the iPod overwrite a MC rating.  I'd be willing for it to be an option, but I don't really see the need -- who ever removes a rating, especially on a device where it's not terribly convenient to?  If the rating isn't how you like it, don't you fix it to a better value?  Anyway, this whole ratings synchronization seems so error-prone, I think this one little sanity check would make life better.

JeffreyK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2003, 09:09:18 pm »

An excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod can be found here:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/      

This website appears to be down - can anyone point me to equivalent info?  I've got a new iPod and would like to start using it (but don't want to do anything to cause problems down the road...).

Thanks!
-JeffreyK

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2004, 01:48:21 am »

Yeah, it is down.  What's up with that!  :(

I'll see why they took my site down....

Adam

Jas

« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2004, 01:54:38 am »

BarryT - I had the same problem and finally figured out that it was a firewire connection issue. I was using a direct connection: iPod cable + 6 pin adapter to 4 pin firewire port on Dell Inspiron 8200.  My screen showed Drive E: but the only option I had was "Format", which always failed.  Under Drive E: it showed Calendar and Contacts but not the usual options.  After much trial and error, I tried my trusty 'ol adaptec PCMCIA firewire adapter card, and reconnected my iPod. Like magic, I got the normal screen showing my iPod with album, artist, genre, etc. and all the usual menu options when I right-clicked on the iPod icon.  Hope this works for you. Jas

park

• MC Beta Team
  • I wish I had more to say!
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2004, 05:29:36 am »

I've just noticed some strange behaviour with the ipod and MC. I have been listening to tunes on my ipod and haven't synched for a while. In the time since I last synched I have moved all of my files to a new hard drive (but kept the same directory structure, so the only thing that has changed is the drive letter).

When I synched my ipod just now, MC crashed upon finishing the synch. Also, looking at my files in MC I see that they havent been updated (unsurprising since the file path has changed I guess).

But I re-synched again, just to see what would happen. MC didnt crash. But it also didn't give me an error message telling me that some of the files couldnt be updated. And again the files werent updated in MC.

So my point is, that though there is a descrpency between where ipod thinks my files are and where they actually are, MC is operating like everything is working.
Infact i can view the contents of my ipod in mc and see last played info for some songs and then view the same songs on my hard drive and mc says they've never been played. So MC is neither copying the "never played" info to the ipod, nor copying the "played 1 hour ago" from the ipod to the hard drive. Yet it displays no error during synch.

My request (if possible):
When MC tries to update MC's tags with Ipod info: If the file is not found, could you make it so that a box pops up asking you where the file is (like Adobe Premiere, which also looks in the same location for subsequent files, negating the need to tell it for every file).

This would mean I could move files around my hard drive without having to re-initialize the ipopd every time.

JeffreyK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2004, 02:32:06 pm »

Adam

In the meantime, can anyone provide a quick summary of the steps I should do to get my iPod up and running with MC?

Thanks!
-JeffreyK

Endymion

• Recent member
  • I am who I have always been
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2004, 10:09:16 pm »

I've tried using the AAC file import in 10.0.25.   After importing about 650 files, MC crashes silently (no error message).  This is a consistent failure.

An update:  I monitored the memory usage under task manager while importing the AAC files.  The memory usage for Media Center was changing by huge amounts from update to update ranging from 11 to 47 megabytes (moving up and down).  It appears that substantial memory allocation and deallocation are occurring as each song is imported.  Maybe this points to the problem?

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2004, 02:25:22 am »

Adam

In the meantime, can anyone provide a quick summary of the steps I should do to get my iPod up and running with MC?

Thanks!
-JeffreyK

Anyone else, please correct me if I'm wrong!

The basics are:

1.  format the iPod with the iPod Updater (should be v. 2.1)

2.  if you have iTunes installed, load it one time, with the iPod connected. Look in the lower righthand corner and you'll see an icon that allows you to set settings for the iPod. Go in there and turn off the automatic Launch iTunes when iPod detected.

3.  close iTunes

4.  open MC. Go to CD, DVD, Handheld and click on RIGHT click on the iPod and choose "Initialize"

5.  Create playlists in MC.

6.  Right click on iPod icon and choose Sync. Choose the playlists you want to synch and presto!

(There are other ways of copying music to the iPod, but if you're music collection is bigger than your iPod capacity, you gotta create a playlist to choose what you are going to put on the iPod)

Pepper

• Recent member
  • OAP Pepper
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2004, 06:25:48 am »

Further to my earlier posts I've now managed to get 10GB of tunes onto my ipod, I just transfered a few albums at a time. I started by transferring 2, then 4, then 8, 10 etc as I got more confident. At some point (think when I was trying to do about 15 albums) I managed to crash media center again by looking at my album art view whilst transferring. Again, it appeared that about 2 albums had been sent to the ipod but weren't indexed. Running the 'rebuild database from iPod' option sorted that out (Although running this seems to put all the artists under '(Multiple Artists)' back under the original artist name, which was a bit of a pain).

After I'd manually done my 200 albums or so, I ripped some more cds and ran the sync process and every appeared to work fine, I just don't think that either my ipod or MC likes doing hefty transfers in one go (and I suspect MC, cause iTunes worked fine for this same collection).

The only other niggle I have now is that my iPod reports 35GB free from it's 'about' menu, and MC reports 26GB free, and the MC reading is the one that would be about right. Any ideas on how to get the iPod to recognise how much disk space it has free itself? (Not a huge issue, but it bugs me. The track count etc. is fine, just the available space reading that is wacky).

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2004, 07:14:47 am »

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but when you're doing a sync, the "free space remaining" tally is pretty useless.

Specifically, it doesn't seem to take into account whether or not the "Delete Files Not In Sync" box is checked.  Consider the following scenario:

I have a 30GB iPod.  The playlist I have built to transfer music comes in at 29GB.  There are 2GB of files already on my iPod which are not on this playlist.  With "Delete Files Not In Sync" checked or unchecked, the free space report on the sync doesn't change - yet clearly if I deleted the files already on the iPod, there would be enough space to add the 29GB of new files, whereas if I didn't delete the files, there wouldn't be enough space.

The problem, however, seems deeper than this - the free space estimate often seems plain wrong, and even looking at the size of the playlist within MC itself can reveal it to be under the 30GB mark yet the sync still runs out of space.  Adding albums to the iPod and removing them when the device is nearly full seems to be something of a lottery, which is a shame.

JeffreyK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2004, 12:37:50 pm »

An excellent help file (thanks Adam) on using MC and iPod can be found here:

http://www.home.earthlink.net/~ashawley01/      

This website appears to be down - can anyone point me to equivalent info?  I've got a new iPod and would like to start using it (but don't want to do anything to cause problems down the road...).

Thanks!
-JeffreyK

Website is back up, and I got my iPod working with basically no issues.  

One comment for ashawley: Despite the fact that my iPod was brandnew and never was hooked up to any program like iTunes, I needed to run the Updater and do a restore to get it formatted properly for windows.  Just following your steps implies it isn't needed, but windows won't allow it to be renamed until it has been restored.

One comment for steveg: Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I have been playing with using syncronize and songs that are already on the iPod and don't need to be sync'd affect both the speed and time remaining calculations - it would be nice if they were just removed from that calculation.

Thanks for the help!
-JeffreyK

GarrettSRG

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2004, 02:45:10 pm »

I have MC9, all my files are supposedly in "MP3 Encoder VBR" format. That is what the settings are set to. The other day when i plugged in my Ipod, i tried to upload some new, recently ripped(from a CD)songs, and the little error message saying "the device does not support ogg format files, go to options to enable files conversion". I know that the songs are in MP3 format and not ogg. I even took some songs off of my ipod, and then tried to re-upload them, and the same error message appeared.  Also when i am in my library, i can scroll over to "file type", and all of my files are IN MP3 format. Any ideas????thanks,

Garrett  

SRG

rhaehnel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2004, 04:49:40 pm »

Is anyone else having problems playing iTunes purchased files(m4p)?  I have some .m4p files that play w/in MC10 and some dont.  Same goes for the iPod(I would guess its the same files that wont play in MC10).  Some of the .m4p files show up in MC10 as having 0 bitrate and 0 song length, and these files do not play, however, some songs show up w/ the correct length and a 125 bit rate and they dont play either.  I'm running the latest beta, version 10.x.27, but it was also present in the .25 build.

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2004, 05:10:27 pm »

New Question:  I have two iPods, mine and a friend's.  MC10 lists the files on my friend's iPod correctly.  I then disconnected his (first from inside MC10, then the Windows tray, then physically pulled out the 1394) and connected mine.  But the listing in MC10 still shows his files.  I've rebooted Windows and (obviously) also rebooted MC, but I still see his files.  When I select one of the files it displays and try to play it in MC10, it gives me an error message (at least that part makes sense).

Why isn't MC10 flushing the file listing?  I have over 4500 songs on my iPod, but all it's reporting is the 24 songs on the iPod that is no longer attached?

I have the latest MC10 build (.27), w/latest portable drive plugins.  Running Win98SE.  Ipods are both 2nd gen, both upgraded to 1.3 firmware.

Any ideas?

Also, isn't there a way to name your iPod?  It would be nice if it came up in MC as something besides whatever drive letter is available.

Thanks,
Fred

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2004, 05:24:38 pm »

OK, just confirmed my horrible thought: My 4500 songs are gone, and his 24 songs are all I see in the browse window of my ipod.  But they don't play.  It looks like there's a mixup between the database on my ipod and its files.  

MC10 is trying to rebuild the database now...

I don't know exactly what happened (will try to recreate), but this looks like a potential problem...

Pepper

• Recent member
  • OAP Pepper
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2004, 05:33:23 pm »

is MC set to auto sync? I know that musicmatch is quite explicit in it's explanation of what 'syncing is' they use apple's version of the word 'sync' which means that your iPod will always mirror what is on your PC Music Library. I noticed that MC doesn't delete content on your iPod by default, but has a checkbox to allow this to happen. Are things set up this way?

yonkiman

• World Citizen
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2004, 06:18:28 pm »

pepper asked: is MC set to auto sync?

Nope.  And if it had synced, it should have deleted the old files, and written the new ones correctly.  It's remotely possible that I did something marginally illegal (though I don't think I did) like unplugging an iPod before ejecting it, but even then I'd expect MC to know better.  It certainly wasn't writing/reading from the iPod when I disconnected it.

I recovered my files OK, I'll try to recreate the problem tonight or tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestion!

-Fred

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2004, 09:14:20 pm »

Steve -

I am having a problem with the iPod Manager. I reformat from Windows, initialize in the latest Media Center 10 beta, restore from the iPod Updater, and then the iPod Manager launches itself. Everything appears to run smoothly, as I start uploading songs, but when I eject, the iPod Manager is blank, and the icon that appears in the notification area of the taskbar has a red "x" through it.

I have literally gone through this process 5-6 times in the last 2 weeks - reformat, intialize, restore, upload my music to the Ipod (which takes days since I store them in .ape format and they are converted to mp3 VBR High), eject properly, and once the iPod is ejected, the red "x" shows up in the iPod Manager icon. When I reconnect the iPod, the red "x" doesn't go away, and the iPod Manager remains blank. I am still able to load songs, and all other functionality seems to work - except for the iPod Manager.

(I have also re-installed the Apple iPod software several times.)

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2004, 10:51:44 pm »

packyb:

Get rid of iPod Manager.  It's not needed for anything and just serves to mess w/your iPod's connection with the PC.

It isn't needed for anything.  After you uninstall it, check to make sure it was actually deleted (after a reboot).  Check your C:\program files\iPod\bin directory.  If the "bin" folder is still there, delete it.

Adam

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2004, 02:34:13 pm »

With all the iPOD sales this holiday season I fully expected this thread to be flooded with questions.

I guess the lack of problems is testament to the quality of the MC iPOD plug in.

Good job Steve.

Madcow

• World Citizen
  • moo!
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2004, 05:58:40 pm »

packyb:

Get rid of iPod Manager.

I believe the latest firmware does away with iPod Manager entirely - and about time too.  If readers of this thread are not running the latest firmware from the Apple website, this should be their first port of call.

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2004, 11:37:57 pm »

If readers of this thread are not running the latest firmware from the Apple website, this should be their first port of call.

If 2.1 is the latest version of the firmware - then yes, I already have it, and the iPod Manager is still present.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2004, 03:08:00 am »

It's iTUNES installation that does away with the iPOD manager.

FWIW, now that the plug-in seems to be working really well I have been experimenting with using different iPOD apps alonside MC.

So far the iPOD manager, iPODsync and Anapod Explorer all work fine and cause no conflicts.

If only Audible Manager were the same!

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2004, 01:00:21 pm »

If readers of this thread are not running the latest firmware from the Apple website, this should be their first port of call.

If 2.1 is the latest version of the firmware - then yes, I already have it, and the iPod Manager is still present.

Well, I have 2.1 and iTunes and I still had to manually delete the iPod manager. But do this. Do this now. Do this quickly. The program serves no purpose except to screw things up.

Then try again with MC and you should have much success.  ;)

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2004, 01:07:47 pm »

what is the best way to delete the ipod manager? i went to control panel>add/remove programs, but uninstalling the ipod manager is not an option there. should i just delete it from my programs menu - and then check to make sure that the bin file is deleted as well?

asrjcb

• Recent member
Can I uninstall iTunes if I'm using MC?
« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2004, 08:57:29 pm »

Newbie wondering if I can uninstall iTunes if I'm exclusively using MC now.  

I'm assuming I should keep the iPod System Updater utility.

BTW:
I think MC is the best music managment suite I've used.  I've extensively used Music Match, Windows Media Player, and iTunes - - MC beats them hands down.  It's great I can manage the iPod without having to use multiple programs.  THANKS!

Jim

ashawley

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2004, 11:50:30 pm »

packyb:

You can try to see if "iPod Software for Windows" is there.  If so, that'll get rid of it.

Otherwise, just rename c:\program files\iPod\bin to "bin_old" (no quotes).  Then just reboot.

Adam

packyb

• World Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #93 on: January 06, 2004, 12:46:17 am »

thanks for the tip adam.

"Ipod for Windows" is in the list, but it won't allow me to delete it from add/remove programs. it says the size is .92 MB, but when I click Change/Remove the installshield wizard begins to launch, but then closes itself. i guess i would prefer to remove it this way, but unless someone has another idea how, i'll take your advice and rename it.

Ric

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #94 on: January 06, 2004, 09:34:44 am »

I tried MC9 some time ago and had issues with it so have been using iTunes since. I'd like to try MC10 but have a few questions first.

Is it possible to transfer ratings from iTunes to MC10? And back again?

Also, when I had tried MC9 it seemed to break the Alarm Clock feature on the iPod. Has this been fixed?

Thanks,
Ric

SteveG

« Reply #95 on: January 06, 2004, 10:40:25 am »

Ric,

Transferring ratings will work. In regards to the Alarm Clock feature, we have not implemented the ability for the Alarm Clock to play playlsits created from MC yet.

packyb,

I think you should try the rename.

Jim,

You can get rid of iTunes unless you use it to purchase music. Thanks for the compliments.

tlongacre

But do this. Do this now. Do this quickly.
<- good one.

Ashley,

Thanks for the update and the compliment.

Fred,

Hopefully you are all set.

rhaehnel,

I cannot duplicate the m4p problem. If you can give me an example of a file that won't play, I will purchase it and see what I can see.

Garrett,

What version of MC9? Can you go to 10?

JeffreyK and Madcow,

A rework of the sync and the related size checking will happen soon.

Pepper,

Any more details on how to reproduce your crash?

Endymion,

Hard to say, can anyone else see Endymion's problem of importing many AAC files? The memory allocation comes as a result of opening the file to read the tag information. If you can isolate a file that causes the problem (i.e. file 650) and get it to me, this would help.

Park,

Soon I will change the sync to check files in a way where what you are asking for will happen.

bvm,

I will add your suggestion. Can you give me more to work with on what causes the problem for you. Many (myself included) do not have this issue.

Pepper

• Recent member
  • OAP Pepper
« Reply #96 on: January 06, 2004, 11:01:37 am »

Sorry Steve, I don't know how to reproduce the crash, since I left the machine unattended each time. As a software developer myself, I know that doesn't help much  ::)

All I know is that I'm now at the stage where the sync process only actually transfers a few albums i.e. recent rips and it all seems fine.

Hopefully I'll have a firewire card waiting for me when i can get home and if I'm feeling brave I'll do a complete sync on that and see what happens (hopefully it'll take less than the 2 1/2 hours my USB 1 sync was taking!!)

rhaehnel

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #97 on: January 06, 2004, 01:34:02 pm »

<<
I cannot duplicate the m4p problem. If you can give me an example of a file that won't play, I will purchase it and see what I can see.
>>

I dont believe it to be a problem w/ the file itself because the files I'm having problems w/ used to play just fine.  It seems that I started having these problems after adding a new hard drive and reimporting my MC library from the new drive.  I'm not sure why this would matter, but its the only thing I can think of.  I'll try to delete a song from my MC library and then reimport it to see if that fixed the problems.

asrjcb

• Recent member
Synchronizing
« Reply #98 on: January 06, 2004, 08:00:19 pm »

I am choosing to sync my music library which consists of about 3700 songs (versus manually doing it).  I'm right clicking on my ipod drive letter in the "CD, DVD, & Handhelds" section of MC's left pane and choosing "Synchronize".  In one of the check boxes, I select all.  When MC shows the "Sync Progress" window, it says it's syncing playlist entry xxxx out of 14837.  

I don't have 14837 songs - what does this mean?  Are there duplicates?  Did I select something wrong to have MC auto sync all my files?

Also, should I check the Sync info with MC box in the lower right?  What does this do if I do.

asrjcb

asrjcb

• Recent member
Battery Life
« Reply #99 on: January 06, 2004, 08:12:14 pm »

I have a 5 day old, 3rd generation iPod.  Every time I go to sync my library of 3700 songs, I run out of battery.  I only have 4 pin firewire.  The battery only lasts about 2.5 hours at best.

Is this normal?  I thought the ipod got 10 hours (maybe not during file transfer)?

Will I be able to fix this if I go to 6 pin firewire?

asrjcb
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up