INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Disk problem because of MC ?  (Read 1072 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
Disk problem because of MC ?
« on: December 30, 2003, 02:23:37 am »

Since the last builds I experienced a lot of system hang-ups. With the latest 10.0.24 version I experienced a serious disk problem.

Media Center did not respond, also causing other programs to hang. Normally when I close MC the other programs work fine again. This time I could not close anything. In the end I was forced to use the reset button.

Since then the system can not start up when the RAID0 set for MC (storage for music) is physically connected. When disconnecting the RAID0 disks, my PC starts up normally. The configuration program for my RAID0 set reports no errors.

I assume that something went wrong when resetting my PC. But resetting was the only solution to the not responding system.

Any tips on solving my RAID0 set. I don't feel like re-ripping 210GB on ape format music.  

MarSies .....  

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
Re:Disk problem because of MC ?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 08:37:13 am »

It's more likely that MC's problems are being caused by your RAID problem than the other way around.

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2003, 11:39:43 am »

Since the last builds I experienced a lot of system hang-ups. With the latest 10.0.24 version I experienced a serious disk problem.

Media Center did not respond, also causing other programs to hang. Normally when I close MC the other programs work fine again. This time I could not close anything. In the end I was forced to use the reset button.

Since then the system can not start up when the RAID0 set for MC (storage for music) is physically connected. When disconnecting the RAID0 disks, my PC starts up normally. The configuration program for my RAID0 set reports no errors.

I assume that something went wrong when resetting my PC. But resetting was the only solution to the not responding system.

Any tips on solving my RAID0 set. I don't feel like re-ripping 210GB on ape format music.  

MarSies .....  

MarSies...

I'll try to help, but first I have to ask a question that might avoid such a problem in the future:  Why are you using RAID0?  It's essentially used for increases in disk speed because the files are striped between two drives.  But... there is no redundancy.  I can't imagine throughput is causing a problem with APE files.  I'd think you should be using RAID1 or RAID5 for fault tolerance.

If you're having trouble with RAID0 and it's a physical problem with one of the disks, you're SOL.  Are you saying that the RAID setup utility shows both disks as good?  What OS are you using?

Scott-

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2003, 01:11:17 pm »

Scott, thanks for your support.

My system consists of XPsp1 with 1GB RAM and 875 chipset. I have 4 SATA and 2 PATA drives of 120GB a piece. Disk 0&1 are in RAID0 and disk 2&3 also. Disk 0&1 are used for system software and other things. Disk 2&3 are used for storage of ape music. The other 2 disks for videoclips and backup.

My motherboard is an Abit IC7-G with 2 RAID0 controllers. One is from the 875 chipset and the other one is an onboard controller from Silicon Image.

My guess is now that the drivers for the onboard RAID controller are corrupted. Maybe that's why when the system tries to address the onboard RAID set it can not complete the bootsequence.

I agree with your opinion of using RAID1 or 5. The reason why i did this is because i wanted to have:

- fast disks
- I don't trust NT with striping
- save money
- larger capacity then 1 disk

Fault tolerance is not really what I am looking for because I have have my CD's at home. And FT is not possible with the controllers that I have. The configuration software for the SI controller reports a functioning RAID set. This is when I boot the PC and start the configuration utility.

I will try to reinstall the drivers for the RAID set.

Concerning MC, lately my system frequently hangs. Don't know what has changed because it wasn't like this.

MarSies .....
Pages: [1]   Go Up