INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RIP versus convert  (Read 1229 times)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
RIP versus convert
« on: December 22, 2003, 10:58:03 am »

I am trying to RIP my CDs to Ogg, but instead use a commandline encoder available from Ogg Vorbis.  I configure MC9.1.316 for external encoder with the following commandline:

%IN %OUT -q 6

When I try to RIP a CD, the copy and encoding is accomplished, but in the end I get a "failed to import" message (and then MC proceeds with the next track).  The resulting Ogg file will have a strange name, and no tagged information.

On the other hand, if first RIP to WAV, and then convert WAV to Ogg, using the exact same parameters, it works as it should.  All resulting Oggs will be properly named and tagged  Anyone got a clue??

tia  :)
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:RIP versus convert
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 01:40:35 pm »

I really don't think "%IN %OUT" is req'd with MC (in fact, may lead to the problems your seeing). Not all parameters are supported (such as the tagging via -t, -l, -a, etc.). What happens if you drop in/out in both cases?

10-27

rocketsauce

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 04:11:53 pm »

Have you tried -q 6 %IN %OUT?

I really don't think "%IN %OUT" is req'd with MC

Xen, I'm pretty sure when using an external encoder with MC you do need those parameters. I've always used them, anyway, and have never had a problem.

Rob

Edit:

I just tried converting a .wav using vorbis setup as an external encoder in MC 10.022. It encoded fine with the commandline above, no filenaming weirdness, but MC did crash at the end of the encoding.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 04:40:51 pm »

'sauce,

You may be right. I was confusing Custom for Use External Encoder. The tagging scenario it still true, though. MC wildcards (if they exist) are unknown. UEE in MC <> UEE in EAC. He ought to just use Custom if he can't resolve the external thingy. There is no advantage to using UEE as opposed to Custom in his case (both are using Vorbis v1, though with UEE you could specify vorbis V1.01...which is a very minor bugfix upgrade to 1.0, but has no impact on encoding quality). Same is generally true with VBR mp3.

10-27

rocketsauce

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2003, 04:53:45 pm »

I agree, there is no reason to UEE for vorbis unless your using the GT3b1 builds that are tuned especially for -q 5 and above.

Rob

shAf

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003, 08:20:48 am »

... there is no reason to UEE for vorbis unless your using the GT3b1 builds that are tuned especially for -q 5 and above.
Sorry if my initial message was misleading, but this is exactly what I wanted to do.

I ran across another weird symptom ... that is, as an experiment, I tried converting some 320kbps MP3 straight over to Ogg, and came across the same "failure to import" errors, the resulting Ogg being a good file, but untagged and not imported.  So, I first converted them to WAV, and then from WAV to Ogg.  The action worked for many conversions, including tagging and importing ... but then started to fail after about 6 tracks.

I realize "sometimes works, sometimes not" is a lousy amount of info to hand over to developers.  Let me know if I can provide any more info (... btw, I tried moving the files and temp area to a part of the drive, so that MC wouldn't have to deal with long paths, but that didn't work either).

I hope J River will explore this issue with respect to MC9.1.

Happy Holidays!!!  :)

shAf

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2003, 12:47:25 pm »

I found the best work-around, but not the best solution.  That is, simply rename the encoder to oggenc.exe, and (... taking precautions first ...) copy it to the MC\plugins folder.  It works just like the Ogg encoder which installed with MC ... which, only further mystifies why the external encoder method does not work properly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up