INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Girder and Hairstyle?  (Read 1191 times)

jpd5862

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Girder and Hairstyle?
« on: December 31, 2003, 12:02:32 pm »

I am trying to train my remote control to manage Media Center in Hairstyle mode using girder.  I want my remote's up/down/left/right keys to correspond to the actions that my keyboard's up/down/left/right trigger.  I have girder configured to send the keyboard codes to MC, but don't seem to have any luck in MC responding to them.

I cannot run the remote control plugin directly from girder, as I need to have girder to control other HTPC apps (MyHTPC, zoomplayer, etc.).

I have found the excellent .gml file in data/extras/girder, but it doesn't seem to have any key navigation in it.

Any suggestions?

jpd

sraymond

Re:Girder and Hairstyle?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2003, 12:15:08 pm »

Keystrokes can cause complications with focus.

Instead, use Windows messages.  There is a sample .gml which includes the Windows message codes you need - see the C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\Data\Extras\Girder directory.

Or, you could use mjextman.exe - but I discount that as an unelegant solution.

If you need help with the Windows messages, don't hesitate to ask.

Scott-

sraymond

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 12:19:52 pm »

Uh, oh...  I just noticed that you were talking about the arrow keys only.

In this case, just make sure that the "target" of the keyboard's special key "UP" has "Send to foreground task" checked and it should work.

Scott-

jpd5862

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 02:51:28 pm »

Thanks.  That works.

I am now tremendously confused.  It seems that part of my problem is that I cannot send keyboard commands directly to Media Center.  Or, for that matter, notepad.  I used to be able to do this, using the target selector, choosing the appropriate process, and sending the key commands directly to notebook.exe, etc.

Why is this now broken?

jpd

jpd5862

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2003, 03:09:04 pm »

To answer my own confusion...  For notepad.exe, I forgot to target the child class.

This does raise another question -- is there any way for me to target MC (in hairstyle mode) directly, instead of sending my keypress events to the foreground (MC) window?

jpd

sraymond

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 04:48:47 pm »

To answer my own confusion...  For notepad.exe, I forgot to target the child class.

This does raise another question -- is there any way for me to target MC (in hairstyle mode) directly, instead of sending my keypress events to the foreground (MC) window?

jpd

Just for the arrow keys?  Would you ever want an arrow key to go to other than the foreground application?

For specific MC keyboard shortcuts, I suggest sticking with Windows messages.

Scott-

jpd5862

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2004, 08:49:28 am »

The reason I want to be able to send messages to specific apps, as opposed to the foreground, is pure paranoia on my part.  I'm multitasking between 3 apps -- MC, zoomplayer, and Sage.  As I am changing the focus between these three using Girder I want to make sure I send my commands to the proper one.

jpd
Pages: [1]   Go Up