INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording from Mixer (can anybody do it?)  (Read 2193 times)

Archis

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Recording from Mixer (can anybody do it?)
« on: December 16, 2003, 04:55:23 am »

Can anybody do it with Version 9.1? How about 10?  I cannot get this important feature to work in 9.1 and am wondering If it is a problem that will be fixed in V10.

yowzah

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Re:Recording from Mixer (can anybody do it?)
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2003, 10:39:45 pm »

No, I cannot get recording to work with version 9.1.316.  This is the first time I tried, so I'm not sure if it's a software problem or a cockpit problem, but I'm here searching for answers.  I hear my XM radio through the line-in just fine through my speakers, but Media Center seems not to be able to detect the sound when I try the automatic recording level utility.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 02:52:50 am »

I had a similar problem when using MC 9 with my Extigy card.

Now I've upgraded to MC 10 all is fine.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 11:37:36 am »

Works fine for me from mic and web radio (MC91316, Live! card and W98SE)
(Once I had realised that I had to set Record Control to "mic" or "What U hear" but then, you are probably brighter than me!)
Pat.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 07:21:25 pm »

Would any of the successful users like to share what they have to do to make it work?

I'm running on Windows XP and my Mixer Device is a "Creative SB Live! Wave Device".  My understanding of how one should be able to record, say, a web broadcast, is:

I open XP's sound control dialog; under Options | Properties I select the "Recording" radio control.  The control dialog now shows me several input sources (CD Digital, MIDI, CD Audio, Line-In, Microphone, Wave, ...), of which I can check the "Select" checkbox of exactly one source.  I check "Wave", since that's what the web broadcast is playing thru.  Then in MC, I open the recorder, and tell it under Options | Recorder to use "Mixer" as the recording source.  Then record away...

However, when I do this, nothing gets recorded.  There is only silence.  If I ask the recorder to set the recording level with its "Auto" button, it tries for a while, then tells me there's no signal.

This was true in 9.1, and it's still true in 10.0.24.

Am I missing something?

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 08:09:51 pm »

In W98SE my preferred mixer device is SB Live!Wave Out (E400)
In MC my Recorder setting is Recording Device SB live! Wave In (E400) and my Recording Source is Mixer.
In W98SE I have selected What U Hear (But it also works with Wave selected) and I have a (Windows) volume slider for this which needs to be at about 50%.
Now I set a radio station running and bring up the recorder and go to the Recording Volume, click Auto and Start Test. It will tell me I am too high or too low - now I adjust the recording level for What U hear (or Wave) in Windows - this is incredibly sensitive for me but on Start Test again I still get a result (low or high). In fact, I just set the volume slider manually using the recorder peak meters once Auto has got me in the ball park.
I have a feeling that XP and 98SE have big sound handling diffrerences.
If you want any other settings that I use - just ask
The bad news - I was surprised at how easily I got this to work - once I had selected and set the Windows recording volume
Pat.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 05:23:08 am »

Would any of the successful users like to share what they have to do to make it work?

I'm running on Windows XP and my Mixer Device is a "Creative SB Live! Wave Device".  My understanding of how one should be able to record, say, a web broadcast, is:

I open XP's sound control dialog; under Options | Properties I select the "Recording" radio control.  The control dialog now shows me several input sources (CD Digital, MIDI, CD Audio, Line-In, Microphone, Wave, ...), of which I can check the "Select" checkbox of exactly one source.  I check "Wave", since that's what the web broadcast is playing thru.  Then in MC, I open the recorder, and tell it under Options | Recorder to use "Mixer" as the recording source.  Then record away...

However, when I do this, nothing gets recorded.  There is only silence.  If I ask the recorder to set the recording level with its "Auto" button, it tries for a while, then tells me there's no signal.

This was true in 9.1, and it's still true in 10.0.24.

Am I missing something?

A good start point is to set record option to 'What u hear' and have something (CD etc) playing while you figure it out. At least you'll be able to tell if it's software or hardware that's causing your problem.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2003, 05:36:23 pm »

A good start point is to set record option to 'What u hear'

Umm, where would I find that option?  Nothing like that in the MC Recorder's Options dialog, nor in WinXP's Audio Play/Record control.

I can record just fine from Line-In, by the way.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2003, 08:20:20 pm »

BVM, In Record Control is there a volume setting you can boost until Auto notices it? (I don't know XP.)
I think What U Hear was inserted on my system by Live! but I can't remember for sure.
Pat.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2003, 02:11:18 am »

A good start point is to set record option to 'What u hear'

Umm, where would I find that option?  Nothing like that in the MC Recorder's Options dialog, nor in WinXP's Audio Play/Record control.

I can record just fine from Line-In, by the way.

Here's where you'll find it:

What exactly do youmean by 'mixer'? I took it to mean any of the options in the pic above. Is that correct?

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2003, 04:17:26 pm »

I see.  Mine looks like this:

So I guess I'll have to debug some other way.

What exactly do youmean by 'mixer'? I took it to mean any of the options in the pic above.

I just mean whatever MC means by the "Mixer" value for "Recording Source" in the recorder options dialog.  I can't claim to know what that really is, though I was kind of assuming it was a piece of software that acts like an input device, but produces whatever sound is currently being "played" to my speakers.  I'd love it if more knowledgable people could set me straight.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2003, 04:37:31 pm »

BVM
Perhaps your Live! card has not got its surround mixer set up?
What U Hear option appears on this.
The Creative CD installed a ton of stuff on my computer most of which I did not understand but ctsurmix.exe was one I did succeed in configuring.
Pat.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2003, 05:02:35 pm »

BVM.

Did you read this:

Mixer records directly from the sound card regardless of the source. When you select Mixer, you have complete control of what gets recorded. Double click the speaker icon in the system tray and select Options > Properties > Recording and check all the recording sources you want to control. Now set the volume, mute, and balance controls the way you want and begin recording. If there is an "All" or "Sum" recording source in the mixer, use that to control the overall recording volume

You said you can record from line-in. What happens when you have an input to line in and set MC to record from the mixer?

Sorry I'm not one of the 'more knowledgeable people'. Just trying to help.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2004, 12:47:48 pm »

Did you read this:

Mixer records directly from the sound card regardless of the source. When you select Mixer, you have complete control ...

The blurb in MC's Help file?  Yes.

You said you can record from line-in. What happens when you have an input to line in and set MC to record from the mixer?

Interesting question.  Yes, if there is something playing on Line-In, and I select Line-In in Windows' Record Control, then MC gets it.  (But if I select Wave, and play something to Wave output from, say, Winamp, MC hears nothing.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up