INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output playback explanation  (Read 976 times)

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
Output playback explanation
« on: January 03, 2004, 03:52:05 pm »

Could one of you who is far more knowledgeable than me please explain the difference between WaveOut, DirectSound, or ASIO.

I believe ASIO can be used to use one sound card for 2 Zones. Is this correct? What are the disadvantages in doing this?

Thanks in anticipation.

LisaRCT

Re:Output playback explanation
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 02:09:06 pm »

ummmm, I can take a shot at it, but am not any where near knowledgable in this issue, so call this a guess and a bump   ;D

Wave Out - I think allows Windows to do more processing to the sound on the way between the source and the soundcard.

Direct Sound - from the name implies to me that it goes directly from the source to the soundcard, bypassing the windows junk.

ASIO - umm. .  the letters stand for something LOL
It helps reduce the latency inherent in PC digital processing so can be used to merge playing files with live sounds in realtime, thus is used for recording & mastering.

Hey, it sounds good to me   :D
and you're best to go with what sounds best to you, Right?   :P

Well maybe that only applies to audio and not science   :-\

;D

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 02:28:30 pm »

Thanks Lisa, that's great.

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 06:56:25 pm »

FWIW I have my onboard audio (driven with its SoundMAX drivers, this is on an Intel 850emv2) using DirectSound assigned to Zone1, and a Xitel HiFi Link Pro USB device using Wave Out assigned to Zone 2.   I use Zone 1 with either headphones or monitor speakers, and Zone 2 uses the HiFi Link's optical out to my Home Theater system.  Both can be playing totally separate playlists/tracks at the same time -  COOL!
Pages: [1]   Go Up