INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: strange cover art behavior  (Read 1209 times)

hakuin

• World Citizen
  • Old pond, leap-splash-a frog.
strange cover art behavior
« on: January 04, 2004, 11:27:50 pm »

I have an odd situation going on with cover art.  In certain situations, a new track's cover art always gets defaulted to Steel Dan-The Royal Scam (a really ugly cover, btw!).  I haven't quite been able to isolate in exactly what situations this ocurrs, but it seems to happen when I drag an MP3 file from a windows folder directly into a Genre/Artist/Album folder in MC.  The MP3 of course gets automatically imported and tagged for that folder, but the cover art ends up being the steely dan album.    

Anyone else have a similar problem -- or know why this might be happening?

Also, I noticed when i display the Image File column for my library, that many files have Folder.jpg as the cover art file.  Why does this happen?

Thanks,
Lee

LisaRCT

Re:strange cover art behavior
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 07:40:20 am »

Not me.
But I think I'd try moving that SteelyDan cover art file to another folder temporarily and see what occurs.  I might also set a column for 'Image File' in my file list and see which files have that same wrong cover art and remove it from those files so that the correct ones can be assigned.

As to what caused this and how to prevent it again . . .  :-\  dunno!

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 09:01:52 am »

I've seen this too - not with Steely Dan, but with another cover. Also, sometimes MC doesn't pick up cover art as folder.jpg, even when I try to add it manually. The .jpg appears in the file selection dialog, I can pick it, no errors, but it doesn't appear as the cover art. Windows XP shows the thumbnail fine.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the relative priority of files in the Cover Art directory vs those in the album directory?

LisaRCT

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 09:21:21 am »

A little O/T - but related . . .  .

I moved away from using the 'folder.jpg' approach since I rarely browse my media files in windows anymore as MC does such a wonderful job   ;)
However, I did also benefit in another way . . . .  having all myy cover art in one central location gives me:
-more power/control over my cover art,

-cover art files are easily located to access them in windows

-MC now DOES actually remove the empty folders when I move media files as there is no 'folder.jpg' file left there to cause MC to leave the folder

-I can use the same cover art files for ALL my libraries (I use several different libraries and drives) avoiding duplication and preventing repeat internet searches for cover art ( I use 'Quick find in file/cover art directory' first)

Just what I find works best for me . . .  for what it's worth   ;)

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 12:40:40 pm »

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately I use other programs that are happiest with the cover art in folder.jpg, and it is nice to be able to move everything as a unit.

It still seems like there is a bug, if I can't manually add cover art. Like I said, the image file turns up in Windows, I can pick it from within MC, but then... nothing. It's not a problem with the image file - I actually rescanned some of them. I suspect it is a problem with how MC searches its cover art directory first?

I have an extensive post on these issues here

zevele10

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 03:48:39 pm »

i put art sleeve in the album folder.
Any problem to do it ?

The raison is that ,when i burn to data cds , i allways have the art sleeve  with the songs.
In good english : i cannot forget to burn the art sleeve.

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 12:48:08 am »

I'm having exactly the same problem as gpvillamil, though with a nicer looking cover (gotta love those Corrs women :D)

Still, I would rather buy a poster of them for my wall and have my MC albums show up correctly.

gpvillamil

• Listen to the music...
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 02:25:33 am »

bump

Any word on problem with not being able to add cover art manually? 2, maybe 3 users having this problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up