INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to MC having 2 problems  (Read 855 times)

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
New to MC having 2 problems
« on: January 09, 2004, 06:27:13 pm »

Hi,

this is the first time I spend extended time with MC investigating whether I can migrate my media server to it. Currently I hit 2 problems that I can't get over.

1. One of my machines is a laptop with an Echoaudio Indigo sound card. I am currently using the ASIO plugin for winamp and it works fine. I can also use the ASIO plugin for foobar and it works okay when I select 32 bit output format. In MC status bar goes from "buffering" to "waiting" and then it crashes. Has anyone figured this out?

2. All of my music is currently in Monkey Audio files. When I edit the tags in MC they show up correctly inside MC but seem to disappear from the standalone monkey audio tools. Is this intentional or am I making a misake here?

Otherwise this tool looks great!

Cheers

Thomas

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
Re:New to MC having 2 problems
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2004, 11:06:04 pm »

Don't know about 1 (I'd say it's specific to the hardware setup and/or sound card... I have ASIO working fine on my onboard Nvidia nForce).

As for 2 : check the options (Tools\Options) under General\Importing & Tagging, there's an option titled 'Update Tags When File Info Changes' - if this isn't ticked MC won't update the actual file tags, it'll just keep the info in it's own internal database.  Also you might want to try and manually update the tag info.  Make sure the option just mentioned is ticked & select one file (to test... if it works fine you can select them all) and rightclick and select 'Library Tools\Update Tags (from Library)'... then check the file in your other APE audio tools.

I keep the option turned off for speed purposes... also since I don't use any other audio tools, so it doesn't matter to me. [ I also keep daily backups of my library and then back them up to another drive weekly though... just to be safe :) ]

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 12:22:45 am »

Thanks for the reply Zarius

The ASIO driver for the Indifo card is a bit strange in that it only takes 32bit input. In foobar I can select 32bit output frmat and it works while the same strategy end up crashing MC. Has anyone tried the ASIO driver with 32bit data?

I payed around with the update tag switch turned on and off. It is off MC leaves the files alone and my tags readable by the standalone Monkey audio tools. If it is turned on it erases them on any change or even of I drill down into an album in the tree view. This is very strange behavior. This is true for both MC9 and the beta of MC10. Is this a known bug?

Cheers

Thomas

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 12:34:51 am »

What you're saying is that you have a file that has tag info... eg artist=blah... and MC shows artist=blah, then when you update the file "Update Tags (from library)" that the file now has artist=""  (empty artist tag)?

Hmm... I don't think it should be working that way... unless the info in MC is empty?  I haven't got any APE files... I tested it with an OGG and tag updating seems to work fine (both update to file and from file) with version 10.0.31.

If the info in MC is empty you can use Update Library (from Tags) on that file to import the info into MC, otherwise I can't say what the problem is without more info.

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 01:26:19 am »

For (1), I assume you are using DSP Studio to convert the output to 32-bit, right?  If so, then I can't help you there.

For (2), MC uses Matt's latest libraries (3.98).  Are your Monkey tools still the older 3.97?  If I recall correctly, I think the bulk of the changes dealt with how the tags are stored.  I know UNICODE support is there now, but I don't remember what else changed.  Maybe this is the source of your problem? <shrug>

I do know for a fact that 3.98 APE tags can't be read with the 3.97 DLL.  I encode everything in APE, and if I do it inside MC, WinAmp nor dBpowerAMP can read the tags anymore since they are still using the 3.97 DLL.  (I don't get any errors or anything; only the fields are all blank.)

Omni

thomaspf

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 01:58:08 am »

Thanks Omni,

installing the 3.98 alpha did the trick on the tags. It looks like MC is updating the tags to the new format when touching them which made them disappear for the old tools.

Yes I use DSP studio for the 32bit conversion but it only leads to a crash.

Cheers

Thomas
Pages: [1]   Go Up