INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording Streaming Audio  (Read 1437 times)

kess

Recording Streaming Audio
« on: January 17, 2004, 07:24:51 pm »

I read the other posts, but I'm not sure where to start??  I'm using MC10 beta, and trying to copy streaming audio.  Everytime I record, I end up wiht blank tracks?  Are there instructions anywhere how to do this?

Thanks!  -Kess

pat1066

• World Citizen
Re:Recording Streaming Audio
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 08:00:39 pm »

Kess
I just opened the Sound Recorder... tool and did what the help said. Reading other posts I may have been lucky.. It certainly was not skill! I put my W98 record level slider at the midpoint. It is incredibly sensitive on my system to get a good report on auto but unless it was a lot too low the recorder still recognised it, so start high?
Pat.

pat1066

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 08:02:54 pm »

Oops! I am talking about radio stations on web media - is that what you meant?
Pat.

kess

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 08:36:24 pm »

I mean streaming media from the internet, which i guess is the same.  I'm not even sure where to find what you are talking about? :-(  Are there instructions for this anywhere?? I am using Win XP.

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2004, 08:56:07 pm »

I was under the impression that you weren't supposed to do that.
That's right.
I'm cool.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2004, 06:37:42 am »

try "Total Recorder" if you can't get mc9\mc10 to work, most people who tried total recorder liked the program.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Squanderbug

• Recent member
  • It should work
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2004, 06:41:46 am »

StreamboxVCR also works well.

I've recorded streaming radio broadcasts with this and they play back perfectly with MC10.

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 09:27:30 am »

There is also the DiskWriter output mode of MJ/MC which simply directs output to disk. Have never used it...so I don't know the specifics.

Rx

FXTim

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 12:40:15 pm »

I use Tools-Advanced Tools-Record Sound. Then I open my sound options from windows switch to record from Stereo Mix and slide the volume way down. When you start recording back in Media center keep the levels around 75% of max. I got some good results. The trouble is track splitting and naming. If you set Start New Track in Recording Studio Options to a few seconds and check the box, Media center will split tracks for you when and if the stream is silent between tracks. Then you have a folder of unknown artist and track 1, 2,3 to sort through.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2004, 05:02:04 pm »

I know that MC Recorder works well with vinyl and cassette. If the tracks are splitting too often, lower the gap level percentage (try 1 percent at a time). If not often enough, as with a particularly noisy record, raise it. Or maybe that's reversed. Try it and see. You can also try raising and lowering the minimum gap. 2000 ms is 2 seconds. The trick is to detect track gap while ignoring silent sections of the songs.
ALSO, put the track time (if you choose to use it) about 5-10 seconds lower than it is listed because the gap is looked for AFTER the time has elapsed. Some track times were calculated including the gap between songs so will in actuality be less.

The automatic volume setting is very tricky. Try setting the volume at 67% and do a test. If the "LED" bars go all the way over, lower it a few points. Raise it if they travel less than half the distance. They don't seem to be real-time sound level meters but they do give you a general idea of the sound level.

If you can get MC Recorder set correctly for your setup, it's worth the trouble. Most of the time, you can fill in fields before recording with the YADB database (isn't that redundant?) and the tracks will be tagged with at least Artist, Album and Track Name fields and imported into MC's database when you're finished.

CVIII

BTW- If you MUST record streams, make sure you're using Line-in and a patch cord or have your sound card set to "What-you-hear".
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up