INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature request for RIPPING  (Read 1172 times)

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
Feature request for RIPPING
« on: January 14, 2004, 06:56:31 pm »

Hi MC team,

Very good job in creating v10.  The performance has improved to v9 days.  Very well done!

I'm trying to enjoy more of the ripping function of MC, and recreating my CDs from my library.

I've recollected all the songs I enjoy, and have rated them.  I realise that I need to rip them into 6-7 CDs.  

It would be perfect for v10 to have ripping functions which splits songs into different CD volumes.  This would certainly help us.  Now, we have to manually organize them.  It can be very troublesome.

Also, after we ripped, we hope we can save the project and reuse them the next time around.  I would call this ripping projects.

JNKH

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Feature request for RIPPING
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 11:32:48 pm »

I, for one, am not sure exactly what your after, especially regarding the following..."Also, after we ripped, we hope we can save the project and reuse them the next time around". When you rip a CD, you generally rip to one format (ie ogg), which MC remembers, along with rip mode (secure, burst, etc). With this, and (more) accurate lookup & tagging...what more could you want?...(besides the enhancements listed in JohnT's recent "CD Ripping Changes for v10" thread). I'm confused by your use of "project"...so please enlighten me.

10-27

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 05:46:03 am »

Hi Xen-uno,

Thanks for the interest, and apologies for not being clear.

We can drop files in our library, so that it can be ripped. After we have successfully ripped the CD, we are not able to save the project, and recall it later.  I would like the dropped files and the collection to be saved as a project, which can be recalled, and I can rip the same collection again.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 07:26:49 am »

Do you mean "burn" instead of "rip"? If you're talking about burning (creating) CD's from songs in your MC collection, you could easily create a playlist for each burn and put them under a heading of "Burn playlists" or some such.
For data mode burns, if you do a lot of custom file and folder naming, you can choose "Save folder structure" from the burn options menu.

If you're talking about ripping (copying CD tracks to your hard disk), I'm not sure what you mean.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Sir Alan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 09:36:09 am »

If I understand it correctly, the request is for some means of remembering a ripping task that requires special post processing;  for example, to create a single album folder from a double album such as "War Of The Worlds", or a set of (say) 4 CDs of 1969 singles.  Anything, in fact, where a single entity is split over two or more CDs.  If this is what JNKH meant, then yes, it would be useful.

Perhaps it would be more feasible to specify that a ripping job is a multi-CD set.
"Progress just makes bad things happen faster" – Granny Weatherwax

Wobbley

• World Citizen
  • What a bum rap for a nice, sensitive guy like me
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 04:29:25 pm »

I'd like to just add (and maybe this is similar to what JNKH meant) that it would be nice if I could select playlist of songs (or any group of songs), and then tell MC to burn those songs.  If the total file size of all selected songs is greater than 700 MB or 80 minutes (which is the standard blank disc storage capacity at the moment), then MC would offer to split the songs into groups, however many are needed, and then start the burn process, prompting me for a new blank CD each time one was needed to complete the burning process for all selected songs.  It would be even greater if MC could offer the option of logically analyzing each selected song, then intuitively group songs together so that each blank CDs capacity was maximized.

Here's an example just in case I haven't been exactly clear about what I want:

I have a playlist of 117 songs.  Someone come's to a party I host and likes all the songs on the playlist and wants a copy.  She's too PC-illiterate to let me burn them as mp3 files so that she can import them into her PC, then burn her own damned CDs, so she wants to burn all the songs as CDs that will immediately play in her car CD player, etc.  Obviously, 117 songs won't fit on a blank CD, so I have to select the first set of songs, say the first 15 or so, then burn them to a CD, then select the newxt 15 or so, and the process is repeated until I've burned all the songs onto about 7 or 8 blank CDs.  Instead, I would like to select the playlist, chose burn CD from the Action Window, and then have MC calculate, based on the current sort order, how many CDs I'm going to need to burn all of these songs, then prompt me for CD x of y, and continue doing so until y number of discs have been burned.  Additionally, I'd like to have an "attempt to optimize the ordering of songs to limit the total number of CDs required to burn the selected songs" option.

JNKH

• World Citizen
  • I love Media Center
Re:Feature request for BURNING
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2004, 03:49:59 am »

Hi,

Oops.  Yes, it is BURNING NOT RIPPING.

My mistake.

My request is exactly what Wobbley wrote, that MC can split the songs into different volumes for us.  If we can arrange between the songs before burning, even better.

Afterwhjch, if we can save it as project, it would be nice.

An alternative is what JohnT recommended- to put into playlist.  This is how I am currently doing it.  But this is not very exciting.  Musicmatch offers a split CD function, which is quite neat.
Pages: [1]   Go Up