INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT: Has anybody else tried iRider? I love it!  (Read 2662 times)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
OT: Has anybody else tried iRider? I love it!
« on: January 10, 2004, 12:14:06 pm »

I have the same feeling now that I had when MC first came with multi-zone (and of course when NetRemote came): Ths is something that's really going to change a lot! There's a new (at least to me) program called iRider that's sort of a shell for Internet Explorer, but it really adds functionality above and beyond what I thought possible and also above and beyond the price (30 dollars).

Instead of having a gazillion windows when surfing (I open new windows for the threads I'm looking at) I now have one window with a thumbnail display in the left part of the browser. If you click on something with the right mouse button, there's another thumbnail surfacing, and it loads the page while you're reading the one you're on. It sounds pretty mundane, but believe me, this is really great! Instead of waiting for pages to open, they open in a nice sequence (I have set it to open two at at time since I have a pathetic ISDN line). You can move up and down with F4 and F2, and close pages with F12.

I still only have the trial version, because I got it two days ago, but this is one program I'll buy!
www.irider.com

Oh, this is a rave of my own account, I haven't even registered the program yet, as I stated above, and I have nothing at all to do with the company. It just amazed me!  ;D
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
Re:OT: Has anybody else tried iRider? I love it!
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2004, 01:22:33 pm »

Wow-looks great! It can surely bring order to untidy web surfing...

Regarding your ISDN connection: Have you ever checked with Telenor Satellite Networks for a consumer quasi DSL via satellite solution?

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2004, 01:37:20 pm »

ISDN? I dream of ISDN!

I'm lucky to get 28k with my dial-up.

I'm downloading iRIDER now so I'll add a review when it's finished getting here - in about 2 days.

In about 6 months time our valley's getting a radio link at 10Mbps! Now that'll be surfing.

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2004, 01:56:42 pm »

I use AvantBrowser, don't think it does as much stuff as iRider but its free.
It has function like middle clicking a link opens it up in the background, holding right mouse button and pressing left goes back, popup blocking etc..
it uses the IE engine so works with all the web sites too.
Not bad for free.
Rich

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2004, 02:09:29 pm »

sapnho, I have SDSL from Song Networks coming up in a month. I did check the satellite option, but it's expensive and has a megabyte roof.  I'll need to download 4-5 gigabyte every month for my job, so it's not an option.

mindracing

• Galactic Citizen
  • Bike, Mind and Body are part of the same system
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2004, 02:32:31 pm »

Good recommendation, Mastiff.

It's excellent.

I'd been using Mozilla Firebird until now but after 10 minutes with this I love it.

Just got to find out how to import my Mozilla favourites.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2004, 03:30:29 pm »

I have SDSL from Song Networks coming up in a month.

Surfing will never be the same again... :P 8)

sraymond

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2004, 03:54:14 pm »

Mastiff,

Thanks for the cool link...  I had tried a "3D 3-pane" browser a year or so ago (it had the last page on the left, the current page in the middle, and the next page on the right).  Is was OK, but nothing to write home about.

I gave iRider a try - and it's great, especially for reading INTERACT.  My only big complaint is that it doesn't see to have mouse gestures.

I wonder if someone will add an extension to Firebird that does something similar?  Until then, I think I'll use this 'til the trial expires.

Scott-

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 04:50:00 pm »

Mouse gestures? You mean the obscene kind?  ;D Right click will bring up the regular menu if you hold it down for a little while, if that's what you mean.

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 06:23:32 pm »

I currently use myIE2 (free, though I donated), and I love it!

sraymond

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2004, 06:37:21 pm »

Mouse gestures? You mean the obscene kind?  ;D Right click will bring up the regular menu if you hold it down for a little while, if that's what you mean.

Mouse gestures are things like "hold right click and make an L movement" to close a window.  It's amazing how more efficient it is that right-click menus or toolbars.

Scott-

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 01:23:59 pm »

i use opera and frequently open pages in the background, they are created as tabs. Tabbed viewing makes it a heck of a lot easier to participate on forums. i can even set them to refresh at a custom interval as well. Have bout 20-30 windows up at any time.

What does irider have to offer over what i've described ?

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2004, 01:43:40 pm »

Maybe nothing, I don't know. Even though Opera is a norwegian browser I have only tried it briefly, but it did not work with my internet banking for some reason, so I scrapped it.

sapnho

• Galactic Citizen
  • Leave a legacy
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2004, 02:16:24 pm »

After 24 hours of using iRider I find using Internet Explorer to be ridiculous at best. This software is great! €24 is not cheap ($20 would be a better price tag) but it is so bloddy convenient.

Do you know of more good software programs like this (except MC and NR of course)?

P.S.: I just noticed an interesting thing. I had first entered "d-a-m-n" instead of bloddy but d-a-m-n was replaced by **... Is there a list of barred words?

LisaRCT

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2004, 04:57:46 pm »

iRider does look very interesting.
Is it it's own actual browser, or is it a front-end for one of the standard browsers??

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2004, 02:06:37 am »

sapnho, yes, how about NetRemote? www.netremote.org Or maybe you've heard about that already?;D ;)

Except for that I use Forté Agent www.forteinc.com for e-mail instead of Micro$oft's sorry excuse for an e-mail program. That saves me from any and all e-mail worms and viri.

And yes, there's a list. First of all the correct english spelling is "bloody", that is two o's, not two d's. It's considered less strong than d-a-m-n.  And that concludes the english lesson from foreigners to foreigners for today... You could of course use "darn", but that sounds too much like a kindergarten pupil or George W. Bush...

Lisa, it's a frontend for IE, which means that you've allready got the browser, and it works perfectly with it. The only thing missing is word completion in writing addresses, but it's supposedly coming.

LisaRCT

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2004, 09:33:14 am »

Lisa, it's a frontend for IE, which means that you've allready got the browser, and it works perfectly with it. The only thing missing is word completion in writing addresses, but it's supposedly coming.

OK, makes sense and works extremely well.
I do however find that as a negative . . . I would much prefer it was a front-end for a non-M$ browser, oh well.  
I have moved away from using M$ browsers and eMail programs, finding that Eudora and Firebird appear to reduce vulnerability. However this iRider is very tempting.
Pages: [1]   Go Up