INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long filename bug with NOMAD Jukebox 9.0.31 plug-in.  (Read 1040 times)

El Phantasmo

• Recent member
  • i blast chickens that run everywhere
Long filename bug with NOMAD Jukebox 9.0.31 plug-in.
« on: January 10, 2004, 03:27:45 pm »

Hi All,

I would like to report a bug that I have come across in my trials with Media Center.

I am using Media Center 10.0.30 Beta, the NOMAD Jukebox 9.0.31 Plug-in and my portable device is a Nomad Jukebox Zen 60 GB (no, it's not the Xtra... just the older model. Don't get me started.)

First of all, it seems that whenever I upload an mp3 to my Nomad, the “title” field of the track is replaced by the filename, regardless if there exists a valid ID3 tag containing the title.

Next, when I try to upload an mp3 with a long filename (60 or more characters) to my Nomad, the filename gets clipped after 60 characters, and the “genre”, taken from the ID3 tag, is pasted afterwards. Please note, I am able to upload long filenames properly to the player using other software, namely Creative’s proprietary PlayCenter.

Furthermore, the new filename (60 chars + genre) still gets inserted into the title field of the track, (whether this is actually editing the ID3 tag at this point is unclear, I have the suspicion that the NOMAD uses it’s own database, it would be interesting to find out if anyone knows for sure...) “replacing” any information that is contained in the Title field of the ID3. Note that after downloading the file from the Nomad the original ID3 tag is “restored”, however the filename is still corrupt.

Finally, for these long filenames, if no genre is supplied in the ID3 tag, “<UNKNOWN>” is pasted after 60 characters of filename, and in this case I am not even able to download the file from my Nomad through Media Center. (The download bar just appears and disappears really fast.) I can however still retrieve the file using other software. (PlayCenter)

As an aside, I also noticed that the when I upload mp3’s using Creative’s PlayCenter software, it always renames the uploaded file according to the title field, which may suggest that the Nomad has some kind of irrational limitation where the track title needs to be the same as the filename ?? Not sure...

I’m not sure if these problems lie with the plug in or with Media Center itself, but I figured I’d post here. If anyone has encountered the same problems it would be nice if you could acknowledge that and/or expand here. The plugins site was down for the last day or so and I couldn't find any real documentation on this, but if you know of any that exists, please share! More importantly, if the developers could acknowledge this bug and create some kind of fix please let me know!!  :) ? :)

Thank you!

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:Long filename bug with NOMAD Jukebox 9.0.31 plug-in.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 04:32:46 pm »

I think you may want to post this on the 10.0.30 bug thread... THe nomad plugin was done by JRiver...
-

SteveG

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 10:22:11 am »

El,

There was a bug with filenames longer than 60 characters. I have fixed it and will post it later today as plugin 9.0.32.

In regards to title/name/filename, Nomad provides one field for 'Title'. MC can assign either its 'Name' or 'Filename' field to this field. You can select either by right clicking on the Nomad and choosing 'Select Title Field'.

Steve

El Phantasmo

• Recent member
  • i blast chickens that run everywhere
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 06:25:30 pm »

Steve,

Thanks for the response. I await your update eagerly. :)

Also, thanks for the name/filename tip. It seems that if I choose "name", when uploading a file, the actual filename stored on the Nomad will be renamed to match the name field. Is this some kind of limitation of the Nomad where the title field must match the filename?

I'm interested because I purchased the nomad partly as a backup device. In case my computer HD were to fry I could still retrieve the music from the Nomad, however, if all the filenames are changed it's not much of a backup...

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 08:24:18 pm »

Thanks for pointing out the renaming thing, I didn't know about that.  However, I figure if I have to restore my music to the PC from the Xtra (which I don't expect to happen, since I backup my music on the pC to a hard drive on another networked PC), I'll just use the tags to recreate file names and directories in a batch action.

Even if the filenames weren't changed, they would all be dumped into a single folder when you restored them if you did a mass restore (instead of one ablum at a time specifying a different folder for each album) , so you'd still have a lot of work to do.  I don't think there's any way around this with the Zens.  

By the way, custom fields you create in MC9 will retain the info when you transfer them to the Zen and back, so perhaps you could save your windows file name in a custom field.  (I save the actual album name in a custom field named "albums" and show the album as "artist name - album name" in the album field so I can tell what albums are what in the Zen because of its limited sort levels.  But in MC9, I have my library columns set up for genre / album artist (auto) / albums (the custom field) so I see the actual album names in the albums column instead of the hybred name that I use on the Zen.

Pages: [1]   Go Up