INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re-encoding and keeping library info  (Read 1558 times)

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
Re-encoding and keeping library info
« on: January 06, 2004, 08:47:22 pm »

Here's a question I wasn't able to figure out - I'm in the process of re-encoding some of my files from CD and going to a higher bitrate and different codec (from 128 kbps MP3 to 192 AAC/M4A).  Some of these files are songs in "heavy rotation" on my iPod, and I'd like to keep the current playcounts - is there a way I can keep the info in the library (most particularly rating/playcounts) and point to a new file?

yonkiman

• World Citizen
Re:Re-encoding and keeping library info
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 11:26:45 pm »

I also plan on re-ripping all my 800 CDs to aac in the next few months (as soon as AACs are as easy to manipulate and interchange between iPOd, MC and iTunes as MP3s are now).  I assumed I'd have to go through all the same massive, painful, long library cleanup I did the first time, but maybe if enough people are in the same boat it would be worth the awesome JRiver team's time to add Yet Another Feature to the outstandingly outstanding Media Center!

In other words, I'd like what bdjohns1 suggested, too!

-Fred

bdjohns1

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cheese Whiz
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 11:34:45 am »

Something like - point this library entry from oldmusic\song.mp3 to newmusic\song.m4a, keeping tag info, playcounts, etc - just update the "intrinsic" properties - bitrate, time, filetype.

phelt

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 03:35:06 pm »

This would be a useful feature. I wonder if it might be faster, from a development standpoint, to use taglists. Like a playlist, but nothing to do with file type or location. Then select the new files and apply tags from the taglist.

I use MP3 Tag Studio and it lets you do this with MP3s, but it doesn't have AAC support. Is there an AAC tagger that can perform a similar function? My impression is that AAC tagging apps are not quite plentiful yet.

Nolonemo

• Galactic Citizen
  • I'm still a malla!
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 06:05:46 pm »

phelt, you might want to ask about AAC taggers on the hydrogenaudio.org AAC forum

V-Man

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 06:04:59 am »

This is the re-rip feature which users have been asking for for a very long time now. I really want this feature too.

J River Team: How high is this feature on your priority list?

mclaugh

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 10:37:41 am »

Add me to the list- I've been slowly re ripping, and losing playcounts is a huge pain.  At first, I would actually "re play" the files, double clicking near the end of the file to count it as a play.  But now, it's just too tedious- I own over a 1000 CD's, and it's really eating at me to lose all that playcount info.
Even if we were just able to manually adjust playcount info, that would be supremely helpful.

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 07:21:02 pm »

Hmm... this may be a (albeit a little convuluted [EDIT: after writing it out, very convuluted :) .. but easier to do than describe]) way to do what you say...

I haven't got an IPod, but I assume the fields you want to keep are "Last Played" and "Number Plays" (although this should work with any field MC can see and store in a file)

Please: make sure you read the whole message before you start :)
Before you start you must make sure that the fields you want to transfer to the new files are set to "Store in File Tags" under Trees & Views in the options.

Backup the library and whatnot to make sure you don't stuff anything up...

Rerip the songs as usual.

Now, I'm assuming they go to the same place as the old files (eg .mp3's) but just have a different extension (eg .m4a) - if not, you should be able to modify the process below to suit you.

Assuming all files ripped to the same place and have the same filename, just a different extension - delete the recently imported files from the library (note: only delete from library, not to recycle bin).

Go into explorer (this step can't be done in MC... it has to be done behind it's back :)) and rename or move the old (eg mp3) files (or delete if you really don't need them anymore... I wouldn't recommend this until testing this whole process.)

Select the files you want to change (I would suggest testing with one file first) and rightclick - select "Library Tools\Find and Replace..."

Click on "Select None", then scroll down to "Filename", check (tick) it and type the old extension (eg .mp3) into the "Find What" box, and the new extension (eg m4a) into the "Replace" box.

Click ok, then click on another file in the list.

This should point the library entry at the new file (it will complain about not updating a file or something, ignore this) and since the old file is 'gone' (renamed in explorer) it won't be able to copy the old file over the new one.

At this stage the tags still refer to it as an mp3 & wont be able to play, that's ok...

Make sure you have the "Update Tags when file info changes" option ticked (under General in the main options) and rickclick on the file\files and select "Library Tools\Update Tags (From Library)"... this should take all the old info and put it in the new file.

Now rightclick the file and select "Library Tools\Update Library (From Tags)" and it should correct the file type and be able to play now, and if everything went right you still have the fields you want in the file (eg "Last Played" and "Number Plays"). Yay!! :D

Sorry if I explained this the long way, I just wanted to make sure everything was as clear as possible.  Hope this works for you... it's actually a bit easier than it seems when you do it. Of course, a automatic way to do this would be great :)

Tip: An easier way for the file renaming part might be to rip the new files to a different directory, then you can just rename the old directory to have MC "lose" the files, then add another "find & replace" to change the directory too (you will have to do two "find & replace"s.. I can't see a way to do it with one).

Any questions, just let me know :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up