INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RealPlayer 10 -- RealAudio 10 Codec Support  (Read 1700 times)

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
RealPlayer 10 -- RealAudio 10 Codec Support
« on: January 11, 2004, 01:47:04 am »

With the release of RealPlayer 10, are you guys going to add support for the new RealAudio 10 codecs?

I ask this hoping that it's just a matter of adding the file associations (.rmx for one) and a wrapper like you do for iTunes' AAC files.  If it's more complicated than that (which it probably is), then never mind.

It would be sad if you didn't support it, though, because 192 kbps AAC files are kind of hard to resist.  Of course, given the $9.95 monthly subscription rate, it will still be hard for them to compete with iTunes (which is free).  Time will tell.

Omni

LisaRCT

Re:RealPlayer 10 -- RealAudio 10 Codec Support
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 10:52:41 am »

I wonder if (when) this will be included in Nimo's Codec Pack?

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 04:33:54 pm »

Of course, given the $9.95 monthly subscription rate, it will still be hard for them to compete with iTunes (which is free).  Time will tell.

What $9.95 monthly subscription rate?  Real Rhapsody is $9.95/month, but that's something completely different.  Real 10 basic is free and Real 10 plus is a one time $19.95 fee.  Downloads are $0.99 a piece or $9.95 an album...

Don't think I'm backing Real with this post.  They managed to create an AAC implementation that nothing but Real can play, since they put it in their own wrapper.  Of course you can probably unwrap the non DRM ones from stuff you've ripped.  However, the downloads are wrapped in their own DRM, so there's no way to get at the AAC.  You can't even play the downloaded files on an IPod, since it can't read the Real DRM'ed files and there's no way to convert them!

-John

Omni

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 08:22:49 pm »

What $9.95 monthly subscription rate?  Real Rhapsody is $9.95/month, but that's something completely different.  Real 10 basic is free and Real 10 plus is a one time $19.95 fee.  Downloads are $0.99 a piece or $9.95 an album...

I don't know.  Frankly, I think it has been a very poorly implemented and extremely confusing launch.

When I upgraded my player, it made me fill out a bunch of stuff, and one of the things was for what they call a RealOne SuperPass membership.  This is what I'm being charged $9.95/month for.  (I'm looking at my account right now in other window, so what I tell you is not in err.)  I had to sign up for this to get my one 10 cent download.

Can I cancel my RealOne SuperPass membership and still continue downloading tracks?  I have no clue.  If what you say is true about their music store being a "free" service like iTunes, then this is a very shady business practice!

You can't even play the downloaded files on an IPod, since it can't read the Real DRM'ed files and there's no way to convert them!

I read the same thing in other forum, but I'm not sure that is really true.  I'm looking at their "AutoUpdate" page right now, and one of the plug-ins is as follows:

Apple iPod Plug-in
Update RealPlayer with this plug-in to enable music transfer with your iPod device. With drag-and-drop and auto-sync functionality, taking your music on the go has never been easier!  1.0.0.8
Size:  1.6 KB

skeeterfood

• We're all just food for the skeeters.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2004, 09:01:43 pm »

I don't know.  Frankly, I think it has been a very poorly implemented and extremely confusing launch.

When I upgraded my player, it made me fill out a bunch of stuff, and one of the things was for what they call a RealOne SuperPass membership.  This is what I'm being charged $9.95/month for.  (I'm looking at my account right now in other window, so what I tell you is not in err.)  I had to sign up for this to get my one 10 cent download.

Can I cancel my RealOne SuperPass membership and still continue downloading tracks?  I have no clue.  If what you say is true about their music store being a "free" service like iTunes, then this is a very shady business practice!

Ahh, I forgot about the RealOne Superpass.  I believe that gets you streaming radio access.  As far as I can tell, you don't need any monthly service to use the music store.  I can't confirm this though, because I'm in Colombia at the moment and the music store tells me I can only access it from the US.

You can't even play the downloaded files on an IPod, since it can't read the Real DRM'ed files and there's no way to convert them!

I read the same thing in other forum, but I'm not sure that is really true.  I'm looking at their "AutoUpdate" page right now, and one of the plug-ins is as follows:

Apple iPod Plug-in
Update RealPlayer with this plug-in to enable music transfer with your iPod device. With drag-and-drop and auto-sync functionality, taking your music on the go has never been easier!  1.0.0.8
Size:  1.6 KB

I believe that plugin allows you to transcode non DRM'ed Real AAC files to mp3 on-the-fly while moving to the IPod.  From what I've heard it won't allow you to move the purchased DRM'ed AAC files to an IPod.  I could be wrong though...

-John

ThatAdamGuy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a llama's iguana!
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 04:16:14 am »

I can confirm (from experience) that you do not need to subscribe to any monthly service to get a la carte (99 cent) downloads from Real.

They sure do make things confusing, though, I agree!

But with that said, their Rhapsody service (which, as of yet, doesn't even use the RealOne player) is absolutely worth a try at $9.95 a month.  Excellent sound quality, amazing selection, and quite nice radio stations.

Omni

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 01:35:27 pm »

But with that said, their Rhapsody service (which, as of yet, doesn't even use the RealOne player) is absolutely worth a try at $9.95 a month.  Excellent sound quality, amazing selection, and quite nice radio stations.

Yeah, but you're the same guy who recommended MusicMatch for radio streaming!  ::)  (I signed up two weeks ago, and I haven't regretted it so far.)

About the Real SuperPass thing, I did notice that I'm under a 2 two week trial period, so I plan on canceling today.  I'm not too interested in their DRM'ed AAC files for purchase anymore either.  As I stated in the other forum, you can only play them inside RealPlayer, and worse yet, when you burn them to CD, they sound horrible!!  (They are very "echoy," and no, I didn't have any mixer options set or leveling or whatnot.)

Omni

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 02:06:19 am »

I play my purchased tracks from the Real Music Store on my Palm Zire 71.  ;D

BTW, they had the 79-track ZZ Top box set priced at only $9.99, so I snagged it.  I'm sure they must've fixed the price by now.
The Real Music Store is my favorite so far, because it has a good interface, and has the best quality audio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up