INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ReWriting to CD-RW?  (Read 1091 times)

hobbesateclavin

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
ReWriting to CD-RW?
« on: January 13, 2004, 09:42:46 pm »

I know this may be a stupid question, but can I rewrite music to a CD-RW? I started to burn a disc, then I checked the options and saw something called close disc - half expecting options for doing this. Well I hit cancel but apparently not fast enough - it closed the disc off and wouldn't let me reuse it for writing music.

Once a CD-RW is written on for music, does is it become useless for rewriting or do I need to do something to get it ready to write on again?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:ReWriting to CD-RW?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2004, 09:09:53 am »

Audio CD's are always closed after burning (including RW's)...and so are 1 session only.
Data CD's are multi-session (appendable).

To reuse an Audio RW, you must erase it first (yes...MC will do this).

10-27

hobbesateclavin

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2004, 08:57:12 pm »

I wrote it as a data CD with MP3s. When I insert the CD-RW back in and add more tracks to burn and am at the burn options - Erase CD-RW is blanked out.

WinXP - I tried disabling Windows Desktop CD Recording and rebooting as was suggested in the MC9 Help. But that didn't help either.

Any ideas?

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2004, 11:37:00 pm »

hobbes,

I don't know what's going on. I'll try a test with the 10.0.35 build and post back tomorrow.

10-27

xen-uno

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 12:55:32 pm »

It appears that MC has to understand what the current RW format is before it will un-grey the Erase RW Disk function. For instance, with a UDF formatted RW disk, the mentioned ERWD function no longer shows up under Drives & Devices>your drive (right click). The only way to hit it is to initiate a burn, drag over a couple files then select Options>ERWD...but it is of no use for the function is greyed out. On a blank RW (or a disk with previous sessions created by MC), MC behaves as expected. MC can read the contents of a UDF disk just fine...it just can't erase them.

10-27

hobbesateclavin

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 08:16:46 pm »

Maybe I should just drag the MP3s that I want to play in the car CD player to the disc via windows built in write interface then overwrite them when I'm sick of them. I don't think that closes a session like burn the songs to disk.

Is this correct?

So should I just throw away that disc that I accidently Closed?

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 09:14:45 am »

> Maybe I should just drag the MP3s that I want to play in the car CD player to the disc via windows built in write interface

Sounds like you have DirectCD or InCD or DLA installed if you can do this (these are packet writing apps, which write in UDF format). XP's built in writing app is based on DirectCD...AFAIK. If so, then there should be some utility included for erasing (both files contained and the UDF format itself).

>... should I just throw away that disc that I accidently Closed?

Throw away an RW?..no way, Jose. Although MC isn't able to erase (for my UDF RW's, I used Record Now Max), you should have something there that can do it...or you may be able to get a utility off the web.

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up