INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC10 tries to remember previous CD when ripping  (Read 731 times)

twriter

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
MC10 tries to remember previous CD when ripping
« on: January 24, 2004, 06:34:52 pm »

Background: MJ8 user giving MC10 a shot. MC10b v. 10.0.43 (latest build).

I decided to re-rip me entire collection. (Some of you may remember previous posts about why MC didn't have MP3Pro as a format. I did some tests with MP3, MP3plus, and MP3Pro and found no file size advantage to any format: different formats and different bitrates created a nearly linear equation.) Because MC10 allows me to enter album and song data before I rip (when the DB is incorrect or incomplete), unlike That Other Popular Jukebox Program, which I had used to rip some of my collection at a bitrate of 64 as MP3Pro, and because i determined that I really wanted a bit better quality, yet for my needs (portable player, a Rio Nitrus, and a CD/MP3 player in my car), the super fidelity of higher bitrates was less important to me than filesize, I decised to settle with a bitrate of 96, ripping all as MP3. (Don't get me started about MP3 vs. WMA; while WMA may work in most portable players, CD/MP3 players still, as far as I know, require MP3 format).

But after I'd ripped a few CDs, I started to get what I can only call a "memory" effect. that is, here's what happens:

CD rip is finished and the drive ejects. I take out the CD and click the MC10 button to end (because I don't want to rip the next one right away because of the aformentioned need to ensure track data will be correct before ripping begins).

When I insert the next CD, the title is recognized correctly. I make my tag edits, right click on the CD name in the Drives & Devices list, and choose Rip CD. the Action Window appears, but it indicates that it want to rip the previos CD. The previous CD's title is there, and if I don't notice it and click the button to start ripping, it tries to rip the first song from the previous CD.

Of course this fails, so nothing at all happens. It simply indicates that there was a failure and goes no further.

This has happened a number of times, after I'd ripped a few CDs with no similar problem. One thing I did after the first couple of CDs, but I dont' know if there's a correllation, is change the Album name in both the device list and in the Tag info. I don't recall if this issue began when I started doing that or if it began later.

I can work around this be selecting all the tracks in the track list pane, then selecting the right-click Rip CD command from there. The Action Window indicates that it's trying to rip 2 CDs, but it seem to "ignore" the CD that is no longer inserted and goes ahead and rips the current CD.

That's all the info I can give. I hope the engineers at JRiver can duplicate this.

Couple of side notes.

Seems to me that when someone inserts a CD, one primary goal is probably to rip the CD. Yet ripping is nowhere evident in the interface. Seems to me that something might be better served survacing.

I can see no good reason why the Tag Info and the Action window panes can't be open at the same time.

What's a Zone?

Are there any skins available that are less wasteful of screen real estate? I have no dsire to make MC "pretty." I want it functional. For example, that huge-a** bar at the top in the default skin with the progress indicator wastes a huge amount of space.

Is the type of information that goes in the various tag fields defined in the Help file? I searched and couldn't find and such information. It's not always self-evident from the names--especially when the names are similar. (And what's the difference between "Album Artist (auto)" and "Album Artist," for example.

thx,
cm
Pages: [1]   Go Up