INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much other work can I do while ripping?  (Read 1482 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen
How much other work can I do while ripping?
« on: January 20, 2004, 11:02:04 pm »

I'm just wondering if it is safe to browse, write emails and do other work while ripping a CD... How much other work can I do safely without causing 'hiccups' or bad rips?  How easy is it to make a bad rip using a P4, 1.6GHz 256 Mem, Cheetah SCSI... ?  

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
  • gettin' in touch with my inner child, watch out!
Re:How much other work can I do while ripping?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 11:49:32 pm »

I'm just wondering if it is safe to browse, write emails and do other work while ripping a CD... How much other work can I do safely without causing 'hiccups' or bad rips?  How easy is it to make a bad rip using a P4, 1.6GHz 256 Mem, Cheetah SCSI... ?  

I'd guess you could do pretty much any of the things you mention. I have a 2ghz machine and I just keep on working on stuff. Sometimes things get a bit bogged down for a moment (like when it starts a new CD), but other than that I haven't noticed anything. I have had a couple of rip problems, but they were all when I wasn't even using the computer at all while ripping.

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 11:59:25 pm »

I doubt you'll have too many problems, however if you want you can rip in secure mode (available under Tools\Options\Device\Advanced Ripping Settings) then you can do whatever you want on the PC and when it's finished ripping it'll present a log that shows any tracks that didn't rip 100%.

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 12:03:33 am »

be forewarned that Secure mode is much slower than insecure mode. Just FYI.

Zarius

• World Citizen
  • Addicted to smilies.
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 12:15:02 am »

be forewarned that Secure mode is much slower than insecure mode. Just FYI.

True (although 'much' is relative and depends on the machine/drive - then again, I don't use normal rip now, so I can't remember the speed)... thanks tlongacre, I'd forgotten to mention this since I only rip in secure mode now (I just like to be 100% sure, even if I'm not doing anything on the PC) :)

[size=-2]Edit: That thanks looks a little sarcastic in the middle of all that... but I assure you it was sincere, thanks again :)[/size]

Robert Taylor

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living in a Smokeless Zone...
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 12:26:25 am »

Ingredients:

1 PC
1 Copy of Media Center
1 CD
Various other software

Method:

Combine all ingredients with other software. Use all at once.

Suck and see!
Cheers
Rob

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 02:16:14 am »

I do whatever I can when I rip. And at the moment I'm almost done ripping my CD collection. And I really mean things like virusscanning, video tasks, intensive copy actions and heavy duty tasks.

When I do this MC always plays music and the system tends to make hicks and plops when it's heavily loaded. Think it's just the system coping with the heavy load.  :-\

MarSies .....

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2004, 07:22:59 am »

Maybe it was back in the day with a 386 processor when you had to be careful of doing multiple tasks and burning CD-R's... perhaps burning is more critical while ripping there is no chance of causing bad rips... just bad burns... how likely are bad burns?

Wow.. can't believe how good something sounds with only 6% quality ... sounds perfect (heavily scratched CD).

bmunroe

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Where ever you go, there you are
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2004, 09:19:04 am »

Maybe it was back in the day with a 386 processor when you had to be careful of doing multiple tasks and burning CD-R's... perhaps burning is more critical while ripping there is no chance of causing bad rips][/b]... just bad burns... how likely are bad burns?

I disagree.  I have a 400 Mhz Pentium II machine (I know, I konw) and I need to be very carefull when ripping or I will get bad quality mp3's.

BTW - I have 5000 files in MC and I do not see any of the slow database issues people are referring to.

Brian

tlongacre

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2004, 09:24:39 am »

I haven't done much burning, except copying whole CDs occassionally and I never even think about what else I'm doing. I've never had any trouble with this. But yes, I do think the speed of your machine makes a big difference. When I moved from a 500mhz, 256ram, Win 98 machine to a 2ghz, 512ram, WinXP machine, the only significant performance increase was in ripping and burning CDs and how easily I could do other things at the same time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up