INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC9 and iPod newbie  (Read 1132 times)

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
MC9 and iPod newbie
« on: January 16, 2004, 11:58:46 pm »

I'm an MJ 7 & 8 veteran and about to move to MC9 and an iPod in the next couple of days.
I've been reading the iPod threads and the blizzard of problems and fixes has given me one huge headache.
Is there a thread I haven't found, or a FAQ, that will give me the best advice on how to proceed from Point A, which is: MC9 is installed and I've just opened the iPod box!
iTunes is nice, but MJ is the best and I don't want to mess with a system that works for me.
I'm totally confused reading about formating, initializing etc ...
I'm also not clear about whether MC will play protected AACs, or burn them to audio CD. I assume it will move them to the iPod.
Thx in advance.
Barry

SouthsideIrish

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re:MC9 and iPod newbie
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2004, 07:15:03 am »

Well, there is a whole wealth of information of using MC9 with the iPod at http://ipodlounge.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=20. You can find Adam Shawley's Media Center guide,  and another thread on how to manage your music. There should be enough to keep you busy for awhile.

Bill McNair

RemyJ

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2004, 01:30:48 pm »

I'm not sure about the AACs but the latest MC9.1, the latest iPOD Plug-in, and a 3G iPOD with the latest firmware (2.1) seems to be working great for mp3 synchronization, transfer and playback.

Adam's guide is good (it's where I started) but it's not updated for the latest iPODs which come with iTunes and the iPOD Updater instead of MusicMatch and the iPOD Manager.  There are still some older iPODs on the shelves though.

Here's my quick setup guide.

Install MC9.1.316
Install the latest iPOD Plug In for 9.1
Close MC.
Run the iPOD CD Install but CANCEL when it starts to install iTunes (unless you want it).
Connect the iPOD.
Run the just-installed iPOD Updater.
The iPOD should now show in My Computer with a drive letter.
In My Computer do a rename to IPOD (all upper case).   (You're actually setting the volume label).
Start MC, you should see the entry for the iPOD.
Right click on it.  MC should complain that it's not initialized so just select Initialize from the pop-up menu.
When the initialize completes you should now see menu options to synchronize, select artist field, etc.
Set the artist field appropriately.

That's it!

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

elgibby

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go Red Sox
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2004, 01:51:21 pm »

Thanks, Bill; thanks, Remyj

Great places to start!
Barry

SteveG

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2004, 04:44:16 pm »

Thanks also.

Steve

RobOK

• long time MC user for PC, iPod and Tivo
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 12:50:11 pm »

Couple other quick hints....

Start small -- get a few synchs under your belt with a small number of songs, 20 to 50.  Get a feel for how fast things should run and synch.

Start basic -- dont feel any rush to get complicated SmartLists, they will come over time.

Plan a bit -- when you do start making playlists, look for posts here about how to organize.  For example, many people create a base list of "iPod Music" (call it whatever) that might exclude holiday songs, comedy, and songs with 1 or 2 stars (obviously you fill in the specifics of your overall iPod rule).  Then base all other iPod lists on that original list.  That is just an example, but planning can help you figure out when you want to use keywords in the comment field, or use manual playlists or when to use ratings.  For me, I organize my music around "listening activities" -- work out, sleepy, wake up, commuting, cleaning the house, dinner party, office, etc.

Hope this helps!
Pages: [1]   Go Up