INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to re-associate tags with files?  (Read 1299 times)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Getting older every day
how to re-associate tags with files?
« on: January 24, 2004, 06:26:38 pm »

I tried to move 78gb worth of music to a new server, from an external hard drive.  about half-way through the process, my computer locked up tight, had to hard boot :(

After restart, I highlited all of the music in my library, and told MC to move it to the server.  Once finished, it shows all of the files that were moved after the restart as being in the right location, but shows all of the files that were moved previous to the reboot as still being in the old location, but 'cannot find the file'.  I tried to highlite those files and move them, but since the files aren't actually there, nothing happens.  Most of the files 'in limbo' are rated and organized, so I don't want to have MC just locate files from the server, because I don't think it will recognize the tag info, and I'll have to redo everything.

How can I re-associate the tag info (missing files in old location) to the actual files on the new server?

Please tell me it can be done  ?
pretend this is something funny

Tanushan

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:how to re-associate tags with files?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 06:43:55 pm »

i think this will work,

firstly have u changed the file names? if not move all the files to the original place and then ask mc to import media and the clean up library

that may work

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 06:52:29 pm »

Yeah, I thought about just moving everything (too hard to try to locate just the missing files) back to the original location, which would hopefully reassociate the tag info, since the files would be where MC thinks they are now, and then re-move them to the server.  The problem with this is it took nearly 2 hours to move them in the first place, which means 4+ hours to move them all again twice.

If there is no better way, I'll do it, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a faster/easier solution.  Besides, moving the files back to their original location might delete the tag info.

Any other suggestions?

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 10:08:46 pm »

You don't need to recopy everything.  If you know where the files actually are now, you can use MC's "Find and Replace" function to do what you're attempting.

You select all the files that are showing as "unlinked," right click, then select Library Tools/ Find and Replace.  Select "filename (path)" from the list, then enter the old path in the "find what" window, i.e. the one that the files CURRENTLY show, which is the "incorrect" one (just enter the path that's common to ALL the files, not the entire filename.)  Enter the "new" path in the "replace" window -- this is the path to where the files are actually located now.  (This might be as simple as changing the single drive letter in the path -- I don't know if you've made any other changes to your directory structure.)

When you hit "Okay," MC will restruture the list to reflect the new path to the files.  The message will tell you if and how many changes were made.  If it says "0" files were changed, you need to play with the settings and what you type in the windows.

Just in case I might have misunderstood some of the specifics of your particular case, you might have to play with specifics of what I said above.  From your description, however, it sounds like the Find and Replace function will in fact solve this issue for you by simply renaming the path to reflect the new location of the files -- and it's a LOT faster than recopying everything.

Good luck,

Larry

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2004, 10:03:05 am »

Cool, thanks.

I'll try it now.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2004, 03:00:48 pm »

Well, it was an anxious 2 seconds...but...all's well now.

Thanks for the help!!!

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2004, 10:42:59 pm »

Well, it was an anxious 2 seconds...but...all's well now.

Thanks for the help!!!

Just to clarify, the "Find and Replace" funciton did what you were looking for, correct?

Thanks,

Larry

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2004, 10:48:33 pm »

yep.  took about 2 seconds.  moving the files would have taken about 6-7 HOURS!

Find and replace worked perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up