INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparing 2 separate libraries  (Read 949 times)

Rudy

• Recent member
Comparing 2 separate libraries
« on: January 28, 2004, 06:12:48 am »

I've been moving files from one machine to another (work to home) and realized there are gaps all over the place. Looking for suggestions on how to compare the two libraries i have so that i can figure out whats missing.

Tried figuring out an export that I could dump into access and compare, but no luck. Any ideas?

thanks  :)

jleerigby

Re:Comparing 2 separate libraries
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2004, 07:46:42 am »

If you show your full library you can highlight all items in the list and paste into excel (not tried access).  If you have a very big library then this might crash MC.  You can avoid this by doing it in smaller chunks and only showing the columns that you really need for the compare.

Can't you just reimport all of your files into a new library.  Provided that tags are saved to the files this should solve your problem.  There's certainly nothing to lose by trying it.

Rudy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 04:14:59 am »

Copy and paste - I shoulda thought of that  ::)

Thanks, just put it all into Excel, which i can pop into Access.

The moving process was time consuming and not as well done as it could have been. The thought of moving all of last years files to re-import was what was paining me. Now I can compare and be done quickly.

Thanks again

sraymond

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 08:43:44 am »

Copy and paste - I shoulda thought of that  ::)

Thanks, just put it all into Excel, which i can pop into Access.

The moving process was time consuming and not as well done as it could have been. The thought of moving all of last years files to re-import was what was paining me. Now I can compare and be done quickly.

Thanks again

This is one, albeit very manual, solution.  For another (automated solution), look to MCXMLExport.  You can see some existing presets on my website (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/scottraymond/Presets.htm) or go to the Third-Party Plugins forum and look for "MC XML Export" something or other.  There is a preset that lets you import into Access.

Or... use the built-in Export Playlist (as XML) or MCXMLExport and use one of the many "XMLDiff" utilities out there.  I happen to use IBM's (http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/aw.nsf/reqs/xmldiffmerge), but I'm sure there are better ones available.

Scott-
Pages: [1]   Go Up