INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library dissapeared!  (Read 1035 times)

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
Library dissapeared!
« on: November 28, 2002, 10:27:06 am »

I was using Media Jukebox 8 today, and my computer crashed to the blue screen of death, when I rebooted and reloaded media jukebox, my media library was completely empty!! last backup i did a week ago (I have added a lot since then) was 1,395,481 bytes big on the mediafiles.jmd file,  somehow during the crash Windows has wiped out my existing mediafiles.jmd and replaced it with an empty one, what on earth (refrains from swearing) happened??? I`m running XP Pro SP1

Im off to sulk now

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library dissapeared!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2002, 11:18:22 am »

when windows crashes files and dirs have a chance of being corupted.

even more so if the computer is writing to the drive at the same time.

It's Life in windows Land
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Bucko

• Recent member
  • Programmer
Re: Library dissapeared!
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2002, 12:28:43 pm »

My library was lost, but I managed to get most of it back, since it might help other people if they have an unfortunate crash here is what I did.

Firstly, you need some undelete software, I used Norton Unerase Wizard. Search for files that are named *.jmd. You will probably get a list of results of files called temp.jmd, these are I think temporary files media jukebox uses as you enter stuff into its database. Look for the file which is biggest out of the lot, (if there are several large files, choose the most recently deleted one) this is most likely your mediafiles.jmd file from a few moments ago, this file contains the bulk of your database (I think the rest are playlists and viewschemes, which are pretty easy to set up again anyway) restore this temp file, then delete the mediafiles.mjd out of the media jukebox/data folder (yes, the one with the warning not to ever change any of the files in it) rename temp.mjd to mediafiles.mjd and fire up MJ again, if you are lucky like I was, you get most of your database back bar the last few changes you made, if your not lucky, who knows what sorta trouble you have bought upon yourself  :o  ;D
Pages: [1]   Go Up