INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Most effective way to organize music with multiple genres?  (Read 3930 times)

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
Most effective way to organize music with multiple genres?
« on: August 30, 2004, 01:04:31 pm »

Well hello everyone,

I've been away from a few months and I'm finally back.  ;D

So I was wondering something: How do I assign several genres to songs? I believe there must be a way to do so the same way atagger feels tags such as "styles" or "mood" where different values are separated with a ";". My guess is that I would have to create a new tag called "my genre" or something like that. Now how would I go about populating a tree system with it? i.e. so that it wouldn't show a "my genre" as: "electronic; dance" but rather 2 "my genre": electronic" and "dance"?

The next question would be how to use this with my ipod... As the Ipod wouldn't support such a tag... Is there a way to maybe automatically create a set of playlists according to all the values in "my genre"? By "automatic" I mean that I would make a single template and then MC would create all the different playlists on its own rather than having to create 100 playlists myself.

Any thoughts on this? This would help me a lot as some tracks really belong in more than 1 genre, but creating hundred's of playlists would drive me nuts... :P

Thanks,

-Cascius

pipsqueak

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
Re:Most effective way to organize music with multiple genres?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 03:15:54 pm »

cascius

welcome back! now i can begin hassling you to take a look at the SB hairstyle skin - which doesnt load up with mc 11... ;)

i'm also glad to see another electronica fan, bit thin on the ground round here  :P

this is my understanding of the subject:

the default field 'genre' doesnt understand comma deliminated fields. therefore you either need to create your own 'genre' field where you can do this (then use the F4 tagging mode to tag them quickly) or do what i've done...

i use genre (default field) and have created a sub-genre field. in genre i have things like:

Ambient / Trance / Electronica / Techno / House

these are each sub-divided depending on the category. For example Ambient has IDM / Chilled / Industrial / etc.

Whereas Trance has Acid / Euro / Goa etc...

as for the ipod - i've no real idea, but i think its more likely to understand the genre / sub-genre setup than the ';' separated multiple genre setup.

i guess it all depends on whether you want to sub divide what you have so each thing is only in 1 category or if you want less categories but with cross over songs ...

pip

Listening to: 'Good Shot' from 'Deeper Euphoria, Disc 2' by 'Hands Burn' on Media Center 11

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 05:09:56 pm »

Well hello pip!

Glad to see you're still around. I didn't know that old skins didn't work with 11 anymore... I have no clue why this wouldn't work but i'll look into it sometime this week.

I like your way of using sub-genres, it makes quite a bit of sense. I think I'll have to go a slightly different way though because of the following cases:

Some of my subgenres are: "Lounge" "Lounge-Latin Vibe"... In lounge there would be some electronic music, but also some alternative, and french music... Obviously these wouldn't go alltogether under one single main genre.

I think I'll figure it out though. I've already found the way to use ";" delimited tags. Now what I just really need to seat down and figure out exactly how to organize my music genres as I really have a bit of everything from all around the world.  ::) My 12k+++ songs are already organized very well under main genres, but creating those sub-genres is going to require a well thought process as I'm not going to do this twice...

Anyway, check your PMs,

-Cascius

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2004, 06:01:02 pm »

okay ignore the hairstyle comment - its actually any skin other than the original hairstyle one that won't load... i dont think i can pin that on you   ;D

i did have some multi info skin requests, but (unless i'm out of date) that plugin doesnt work with MC11 yet, so i'm not too bothered either...

as for the genre work, i did mine in just over an hour. i had had it set up like: 'ambient - idm', 'ambient - chilled' etc etc. so all i did was create a new field, copy the genre info across then run find and replace for each sub-section (eg: replace 'ambient -' with ' ' etc...)

as for lounge, i have the following sub genre's: trip-hop, easy listening, acid-jazz, ethnic beats. Now trip hop and acid jazz are okay together but to have burt baccarach slip in the middle of that would be a disaster!

to avoid this i've started to make some smart lists with basic (irreverent) 'mood' names like ('sunday social' - which is lounge type stuff; 'wind it up' - any decent house, techno etc; 'chill out' - acid jazz, ambient, chilled house; 'thinking' - which is IDM, big beat etc etc...

and i now spend most of my time just putting one of these on random.

pip

Listening to: 'Xtal' from 'Selected Ambient Works 85-92' by 'Aphex Twin' on Media Center 11

CDvd

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 02:54:03 am »

You can try what was suggested on this thread :
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=23275

I now have "Genres" and "Artists" fields that works the way you want.

David.
A computer without COBOL and Fortran is like a piece of chocolate cake without ketchup and mustard.

hit_ny

• nothing more to say...
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 03:53:12 am »

My 12k+++ songs are already organized very well under main genres, but creating those sub-genres is going to require a well thought process as I'm not going to do this twice...
-Cascius

Looking forward to hear what you come up with.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as well with those Ambient & Lounge genres. For the moment they are lumped into those 2 but clearly there are albums that span variations on those genres. The Lounge genre is really a catch-all for me for music that would be suitable in a lounge setting.

Do people individually tag tracks from a lounge compilation to different Genres or do the individiual traks get tagged differnently even though they come from one compilation ?

Having not found a solution as yet, i'm looking to see what others come up with.

Interesting enough i found allmusic guide a bit lacking in the various electronica genres,  so the moods it had were not that useful for me.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 06:15:18 am »

Well, it is not clear yet as for which way I'm going to go. The only issue being finding a way that works with the ipod...

I think the only effective way of getting this type of genres to work both in MC and the Ipod will have to be the following:

1. Use a new tag "GenreS" that supports multiple value separated with a ";"
2. Create playlists by Genres.
3. in the Ipod, rather than using the "genre" tree system, I would use the Playlists' genres.

I guess that would work.

Justout of curiosity I just searched on google for info regarding using multiple genre values and the Ipod. It just doesn't support the feature yet... (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20030409021945127) Therefore the way I've described above seems to be the only way.

-Cascius

::::::::::::: EDIT ::::::::::::::
I just found this website that has some very interesting information on th emain genres cathegories and their subgenres:
http://www.wordiq.com/definition/Musical_genre#Electronic_music
I found this information quite interesting and think there might be a way to create a tree system in MC that would use those genres and subgenres.

I'll get a little brainstorming going on tomorrow.

salsbst1

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 09:00:50 am »

Thanks for that link, cascius.
Pages: [1]   Go Up