INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: M-Audio, K-Mixer, ASIO, 48 kHz resampling, M-Audio BUG???  (Read 2217 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen
M-Audio, K-Mixer, ASIO, 48 kHz resampling, M-Audio BUG???
« on: February 07, 2004, 06:06:51 pm »

This is what I have learned:

"48 Khz resampling hits you when you have a soud card adhering to an early AC97 standard. these cards have a fixed frequency crystal to drive their DACs and digital outputs. As a result all input stream will get resample to 48Khz independent of theor source frequency. DVDs have mostly 8khz tracks so you are fine but audio CDs are 44.1Khz stream which get resamples with loss in fidelity.

The kmixer problem is caused by the audio stack in windows and shows up when the sound card drive is implemented towards certain driver models. There are cards that do not have this problem. The M-audio cards implement wave-pci driver (except for the beta 31 which is wave-cyclic to avoid a bug leading to lip-sync problems with DVDs) which is exposing this problem. Kmixer modifies the bit stream of yor music before it hands it to the sound card. The modifications are subtle are there are discussion about audibility but personally I am in the camp that this is audible.

You are NOT okay with the Revo card and the supplied driver unless you use the ASIO support in Media Center 9.  HOWEVER, The Revo driver currently has a bug that does not let you pass ASIO over S/PDIF."

I'm confused... everybody recommended M-Audio specifically because it bypases K-mixer... I'll try to go to J Rivers Media Center and find ASIO support... you wouldn't happen to know where to go and what box to select? You are saying that the entire reason I bought this M-Audio card to avoid Kmixer and resampling, and I'm stuck with resampling to 48 kHz regardless??? I use only APE lossless compression for my audio playback. I cannot TOLERATE resampling, nobody told me about this! What should I do?? Is this true?

Health Nut

• World Citizen
Re:M-Audio, K-Mixer, ASIO, 48 kHz resampling, M-Audio BUG???
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2004, 09:53:54 am »

"For stereo you will still have to use either kernel streaming or ASIO since Windows modifies PCM streams in kmixer.

Unfortunately the driver of the Revo has a bug that prevents you from using the ASIO driver over the S/PDIF output."

Anyone Else know about this or what I can do?  Apparently I an getting my 44.1 CD's (APE FILES) resampled by k-mixer!!!  The ENTIRE reason I bought an M-Audio card was to avoid this.... ideas???

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 11:42:22 am »

Well, it sounds like you copied some stuff from another forum....

What's your problem exactly? Your information sounds right with regards to KMixer & resampling, but I'm not sure about MAudio.

Personally, I've used MediaJukebox/Center since the v8 ASIO betas with my MAudio DiO 24/96 and pass the bitstream over S/PDIF without any problems. DTS audio CDs work as well, proving that there is no resampling going on.

Perhaps you can rephrase your question?

Brad

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2004, 11:50:58 am »

My understanding is that the M-Audio Revolution 7.1 has a bug that "prevents you from using the ASIO driver over the S/PDIF output".  In other words, I have no way to avoid resampling of 44.1 to 48kHz by kmixer becasue of the bug with the M-audio Revolution 7.1

I am using MC 9.1 with a Revolution 7.1 sound card connected to a Merdian 861 processor via SPDIF.  I cannot tolerate 44.1 to 48 khz resampling by k-mixer...

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2004, 12:55:09 pm »

I got the Meridian 861 (version 2.xx) at cost so I got lucky.... I'm broke and just put a Toshiba M200 tablet PC on the credit card... It is under 30 days, so maybe I can get it exchanged...?

lpr

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 08:24:54 pm »

Here's an official reply I got from M-AUDIO tech support regard ASIO over S/PDIF and the Revo 7.1.

" Unfortunately there is not enough consumer demand for ASIO with our
Revolution cards. ASIO will most likely not be an addition to the Revolution card.  We hope this doesn't inconvenience you! "

Well, it does...

Health Nut

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 09:00:17 pm »

It is a bug and for some reason they can't fix it ...  Last I heard it had ALL the original bugs as when it was first released.

I sent back the REVO 7.1 and got the ALL DIGITAL delta Dio card... I figure I'll have onboard Nforce-2 chipset so I only need digital... may as well have optical, etc...   Would never use analog outputs of a sound card either...
Pages: [1]   Go Up