INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I Do This with MC  (Read 1101 times)

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
Can I Do This with MC
« on: February 10, 2004, 08:33:53 pm »

OK, I've used up my free month (and spent many hours reading the forum), so now it's time to decide if I buy this fine program or not.  I just have a few things I want to be able to do that I couldn't figure out how.

What I really want is a system that works like a digital Jukebox in a bar.
Click on Album Cover and get track list.
Click on Track and it gets added to cue  (Select entire album if desired)
Click Back button and return to cover view where you left off.  Repeat.

On Current Album veiw you can double click and get the whole album, but not individual tracks.

Some other features I'd like to see (or Learn How to Make Use Of):

HIT OR MISS CRITERIA:  Select a criteria in one of the filter columns to narrow search, but allow some leeway.
Choose '78 and be able to allow it to show '77 thru '79 using user defined fudge factor.

JUMP TO SELECTION: Choose letter 'D' and have view jump to 'D's but still have entire list, so I can scroll up to 'C' or down to 'E'

CUSTOM COLUMN WIDTHS: Self Explanitory

CUSTOMIZE TEXT: Be able to show Artist Name (or whatever tag field) on Album View by Thumbnail.

TURN OFF SPYING:  Call me paranoid, but I really don't want MC to keep a record of every CD or DVD I put in my system (Even if I don't use MC to access it!).  And I really don't need to keep a record of how many times I play a song, although I can see why some do, so let me turn it off.

CUSTOMIZE INTERFACE: Add Buttons to Clear Playing Now (or Whatever).  Can plug-Ins do this?

LEAVE TAGS ALONE:  I spent a lot of time ripping my CDs and setting up the Tags and I don't want to alter them accidentally or automatically.  I think I was able to get MC to leave them be, but Sparta's Album Cover Plug-In still altered them somehow (? File size changed).

BETTER COVER ART LOOK-UP: I'm surprised how many popular albums that both the built in Art Finder as well as Sparta's Plug-In cannot find.  Eventually I will have High Res Scans of all my Art myself (I'm only halfway through the 'B's) 'till then, It sure is handy getting them off the net.

Like I said, these things may exist, but I haven't figured out how, so any help will be appreciated.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re:Can I Do This with MC
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 08:39:06 pm »

LEAVE TAGS ALONE:  I spent a lot of time ripping my CDs and setting up the Tags and I don't want to alter them accidentally or automatically.  I think I was able to get MC to leave them be, but Sparta's Album Cover Plug-In still altered them somehow (? File size changed).

you can do this in plug-in manager.

TURN OFF SPYING

Did not know it had any
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ja

• Recent member
  • Opinion? I Got One!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 10:22:33 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply.

Using the Various Options I was able to keep MC from altering files, but your plug-In still changes them.  The cover Art still goes to the Data\Cover Art Folder, but file size changes a couple k, and modified date changes to now.  I didn't see anyway to change the Plug-In settings within the Plug-In itself.

I'm not sure if I messed with the Plug-In Manager.  I did dig deep over the past month, but I can't remember everything I did.  I created my list as I went, but unfortunately let my trial run out before posting it.

As for the Spying, I didn't intend to infer it was spyware of any kind.  But it does include the 'feature' of tracking all media inserted while program is open (posibly while closed, I didn't check it).  I'd just as soon not have it do that, or keep any kind of favorite records based on the frequency of play.

Like I said, it is probably a welcome inclusion for many, I want to be able to disable it.

Any feedback on my other points?

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 03:25:54 am »

What I really want is a system that works like a digital Jukebox in a bar.
You might want to check out Music Lobby though I've not tried it myself.

On Current Album veiw you can double click and get the whole album, but not individual tracks.
Edit the view scheme and add a pane for the field Track# - Name.  Then when you select an album in the pane you can see the track listing and select tracks to play from the pane to the right.  Track# - Name is a calculated field.  If it's not listed you can set it up via Options>Tree and View>Add.  If you look carefully it should be obvious how to make a calculated field out of [Track#] - [Name].

Select a criteria in one of the filter columns to narrow search, but allow some leeway.
Choose '78 and be able to allow it to show '77 thru '79 using user defined fudge factor.
Not possible but you could just select 77, 78 and 79 in the pane by holding control key as you select.

CUSTOM COLUMN WIDTHS: Self Explanitory
In the library list you can do this and save the settings but in the panes you cannot.  It's been asked for many times and the developers have experimented with it in past builds.

CUSTOMIZE TEXT: Be able to show Artist Name (or whatever tag field) on Album View by Thumbnail.
Check out the Album View plug in.  If it's not in the downloads page do a search in the plug ins forum.

CUSTOMIZE INTERFACE: Add Buttons to Clear Playing Now (or Whatever).  Can plug-Ins do this?
There are a whole load of command line parameters that will do this (mjextman.exe /someparameter).  You can trigger these from anywhere e.g. buttons on a multimedia keyboard, an IR remote using Girder or a custom toolbar on your windows taskbar.  For information on the latter try here.  For the list of command line parameters check out the dev zone link at the top of the page or the csv file in the C:\....data\extras\girder folder.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 05:53:13 am »

As for the Spying

It just saves it to the database
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Drowbe

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 05:09:49 pm »

As for the Spying, I didn't intend to infer it was spyware of any kind.  But it does include the 'feature' of tracking all media inserted while program is open (posibly while closed, I didn't check it).  I'd just as soon not have it do that, or keep any kind of favorite records based on the frequency of play.

Like I said, it is probably a welcome inclusion for many, I want to be able to disable it.
If I'm not mistaken, it only gets saved to the database.  Also, without traking ratings, plays, last played, etc. the SmartList feature wouldn't be very smart.  It's the tracking of this info that really make the smartlists smart. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up