INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can Media Center Handle Ripped Music DVD-V same as Audio CD's (playlist, shuffl  (Read 1286 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Hi,

I finally discovered the beauty of re-authoring software such as DVD Shrink, etc... I am now ripping various tracks and categorizing ripped DVD-V music for playback.  I would like to at least make playlists and have the ability of random... crossfade would be cool also...

So can I use J Rivers MC to play back my DVD-V music files just like plain old audio?  What exactly can I do?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Sad to say, if you are ripping to AC3 files, you'll be out of luck with MC.

I also don't think that MC can handle VOB files yet, although I've heard that it may be possible--folks who use it for video may be able to enlighten us better.

My only success with DVD-V/DVD-A discs and MC has been ripping the DTS audio tracks to a multi-channel WAV file, then using MC to manage the resulting WAVs.

Best,
Brad

Health Nut

• World Citizen

How do you isolate the DTS audio track from the DVD-A disc?  Do you have to use DVD Shrink and just get the TS Audio file?  How do you convert it to wav? I haven't tried that yet....

How cool would it be to crossfade the audio AND video :)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team

How do you isolate the DTS audio track from the DVD-A disc?  Do you have to use DVD Shrink and just get the TS Audio file?  How do you convert it to wav? I haven't tried that yet....

I haven't tried DVDShrink yet. It's on my list to check out in the next couple of weeks as I move from .25TB to 1TB of storage.

The tool I used is called VOBrator. Check out doom9.org for details. It's the only one I know about that understands multi-channel DTS audio streams well enough to convert them to WAV. Other tools (I believe) only extract .dts files, which aren't useful to most people.

Once the DTS audio is WAV, you can either keep it as WAV files or convert it to a lossless compression system. If you use a lossy compression algorithm, you are throwing out parts of the already-compressed DTS bitstream.

What's implicit in this "intellectual" exercise is that we are not talking about true DVD-A, but rather the audio that is in the DVD-V format (which can be either on a DVD-V or DVD-A disc). The high resolution DVD-A format(s) cannot yet be ripped AFAIK.

How cool would it be to crossfade the audio AND video :)

Might come in handy for those video DJs...!

Best,
Brad

jleerigby

I use DVD Decryptor to rip to VOBs then BSweet will convert a VOB to a WAV.

Health Nut

• World Citizen

So you preserve DTS 5 channel music that way?  Does it still play back in multichannel as DTS?

bspachman

• MC Beta Team

So you preserve DTS 5 channel music that way?  Does it still play back in multichannel as DTS?

It works that way in my case. I get the full 6-channel experience (5.1). I don't know about JLee's method, but I suppose I'll look into that too now...

<sigh>
So much to learn!

Brad
Pages: [1]   Go Up