INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backing Up and Upgrading: back-up the APE files preserve tags? What else backup?  (Read 1168 times)

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Hi,

I bought a Maxtor 250 gig USB 2.0/Firewire drive for easy backup solution.  I need to know for two scenarios what files in MC-9 need backed up:

1) If I don't have any playlists or customization yet, only ripped files.  At this point I just want to make sure all the tag info is present.  Is it safe to delete MC after moving all my APE files ripped by MC to the Maxtor Drive and then delete everything from the main hard drive?  I need to formate the drive and do a fresh install.  I've made too many changes and new hardware and want to start fresh but absolutely don;t want to lose the tagged info.  At this point, all of my effort has been strictly in tagging and ripping.  I would also like to upgrade to version 10 beta when I reload software.

2) In the near future once I have my music ripped and want to save playlists and other customizations, what other files besides the ripped ape files do I need to save?  

I'm afraid to lose all my hard work in tagging!

3) Another question: Say you rip a CD and it creates a filename based on the rules you select for naimg the files [genre] [artist] etc...  Well, if you have several CD's with "Various" and you later change the tag info to fill in the specific TAG info, is there any way to update the filename without having to rename all the files?  I find that viewing the full detail in the filename under windows explorer is as critical as the tag info itself... Any insight on this matter?

Thanks,

Chris

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

The APE files will have everything in the tags except playlists.

You can backup your MC library using File > Library > Backup Library...

MC can "Fill Properties From Filenames" and "Rename From File Properties" so you can use one to build the other. (Library Tools menu)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Health Nut

• World Citizen

So my understanding is that if I go with the Beta 10 license, and I want to upgrade a lot, I simlpy backup the library, un-install current beta 10 version, install new beta version, restore library??

LonWar

• Citizen of the Universe

For the most part you do not need to uninstall the old version.

I also have a 250gb Maxtor... There nice and quiet... Did you get the one touch one?
-

Health Nut

• World Citizen

Yes,

The Maxtor 250 is sweet...  I'm more excited about assembling my first network tomorrow though and running CAT5:

Athalon XP 3200+
Asus Deluxe... Nforce 2 for decoding WMA into Dolby Digital (WM9 hi def)
1 GIG RAM, etc...
Pages: [1]   Go Up