INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Date vs. Date(Month),Date(Day),Date(Year)  (Read 1051 times)

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
Date vs. Date(Month),Date(Day),Date(Year)
« on: February 06, 2004, 10:32:04 am »

For a while now, I've had trouble with the months and days disappearing from my library entries.  I knew it happened when I read the tag information from songs into the library, but never thought about why.  Now, I think I know, but I need someone's help to either explain or rectify the problem.

When an MP3 tag is read, I'm assuming that the 'year' tag is read into the 'Date' library field.  The problem comes because mp3's (I believe) only store years in the Year tag, so all the other information (month and day) that were in the library field placed there is erased.

Would it be possible to have the Year tag loaded into the Date (Year) Library field as opposed to the Date field?  I know that the paranthetical Date fields are all calculated from the non-parenthetical Date field, but is there a way to reverse that?  I believe it would eliminate this minor defect, but not knowing the intricacies of the library, I don't know how much trouble it would cause in other areas.

Marko

Re:Date vs. Date(Month),Date(Day),Date(Year)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 12:33:36 pm »

I have asked for this for a long time now.

Even going into tree & view settings and ticking the "save in files where possible" box for the "date" field does not work.

Until we can get this data saved into the files with the other tags, I've stopped harvesting the release date info for my music. It's just too much time to invest only to lose with one careless press of a button somewhere.

There is an id3v2 tag specifically for this, TDAT but it is not recognised by MC. It would be nice if this fix could be squeezed onto the "agenda"

-marko.

c1c9k72

• Galactic Citizen
  • So many worlds, so much to do, so little done...
Re:Date vs. Date(Month),Date(Day),Date(Year)
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2004, 03:39:45 pm »

I'm still trying to work around this problem, and was wondering if there is anyway to have the 'Update Library (from tags)' function only update changed information?  If this were possible, I don't think that the day and month tags would be overwritten any time I try to clean up my lyrics or add some information via a third-party program.

Not that MC can't handle most things, but sometimes it's necessary.

Anyone know if this is possible ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up