INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Home network (how to / will this work??)  (Read 4043 times)

Glen

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cool.
Home network (how to / will this work??)
« on: November 19, 2002, 03:32:16 am »

I have two possibly going to three computers at home that are tied together with a wireless network working in ad-hoc mode (p2p). The main system has MJ and all my media on it, as well as a dial up modem. I would like to be able to install MJ on the other two comps, but not the media, and have these two versions play the media from the main comp over the network, but not have to use the internet connection. Is this possible to do using only my internal network and not require any internet connection of any kind? Would I use media server or just get the 2 slave MJ's to search for media over the network from my main system. Which ever is the easiest as this networking thing is slightly confusing at the moment. No plans for broadband any time in the future.
Thanks for the help,
Glen.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: Home network (how to / will this work??)
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2002, 07:00:44 am »

Easiest way is to set up a common workgroup for all machines. If using NT/W2k/XP then you need the "share" (aka map) the music directory on the "server". Once that's done you can then use the Tools>Import Media (in MJ) and browse to the server. On W9x all directories are shared by default (provided you have file & print sharing turned on, though that may be internet only). It's pretty much that cut & dried.

You can use Media Server too...but the above is so much simpler (and foolproof) for a LAN.

10-27

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2002, 10:48:42 am »

One issue is the number of databases to maintain. If you are constantly ripping new stuff and changing your collection, use Media Server - you'll have a single database.

j

xen-uno

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2002, 11:38:27 am »

I don't use Media Server...so I don't know the specifics, but I read that you couldn't have permanent playlists with it.

With a shared setup like I suggest, you only have to run Import Media on the client (or any other machine that actually didn't rip/encode) after any rips/encodes are done (which is fast). Just set the rip/encode destination directory to the (server's) music dir (on the clients). True...it's one database per machine...but that shouldn't be a big deal.

I haven't tried it...but if you install MJ on the server HD from the client...they may all share a SINGLE DB.

10-27

RemyJ

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2002, 12:23:11 pm »

I haven't tried it...but if you install MJ on the server HD from the client...they may all share a SINGLE DB.
BIG MISTAKE!

Sharing the media files themselves is ok, but each client must have it's own library or they'll step all over each other.  Don't forget, the database is written to every time a track plays.

If you want 1 library, use the media server.  You only have to create playlists once at the server and all clients will have access to them.  

If you want each client to have it's own playlists, share the media files across the network and do the upadte and re-import thing every few days.

Fedora 38 x86_64 Xfce

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2002, 12:38:07 pm »

If you have two databases with one set of files, MJ 9 does a pretty good job of staying synchronized.

It automatically picks up external file changes, so tag changes from one Media Jukebox get picked up by the other.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xen-uno

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2002, 12:39:38 pm »

> they may all share a SINGLE DB.

Yeah, I wasn't sure it would work and with anything less than NT you would get a sharing violation.

Media Server does sound good...since all machines are close together. That's what it is then...you can't have individual playlists on the client side. But if you rip/encode off any of the clients then you'll have to run Import Media on the server.

10-27

Matt > It automatically picks up external file changes

So v9 reads the music directory each time it opens?

Markeau

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2002, 12:39:52 pm »

Does  each client have to have its own paid version of MJ, or is the license good for a whole household (or at least 2 pc's)?

John Gateley

• Nice haircut
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2002, 01:16:35 pm »

From the FAQ

Q: Can I install on more than one PC?
A: During the two-week  period after you have purchased or restored, you can use the install key you received to activate the plus features of Media Jukebox on your other PC?s.

j

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2002, 05:49:54 pm »

It is perfectly OK to have all machines access the same database - PROVIDED that only ONE of them is able to write to that database.
How do you disable the ability to write to the database?
Switch to "Party Mode"

In this way every machine has full use of the absolute current library for playing/ burning/ converting etc. but the DB remains protected.

I have been setup like this for nearly two years now with no problems.

PS: The drive with the media on it is mapped to M: drive on all machines

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2002, 06:20:57 pm »

Assume MJ8.  A lot of this discussion of importing songs to multiple machines assumes that all the tagging info that I want is in the mp3 files.  Mine isn't.  So I'm leaning toward Callithump's solution (Party Mode on clients) or Media Server.

Callithumper (don't be offended; they've been calling me Scrooch) - this has been discussed over and over, but I want to hear it again.  I'm going to be moving my database in a few weeks.  What's the best way to "edit" the changed path info into my existing MJ8 database?

Also, my situation might be just slightly different than your's--PC #1 (currently with the database) will remain the one "in control" of changes, i.e. not Party Mode.  But the database will soon be physically moved onto a disk on PC #2, which will physically have the files, but will be in Party Mode.  So the network host will be in Party Mode, and the network client will have database modification authority (no Party Mode).  This won't matter, right, because the network mapping is below all of the application stuff?

John, convince me that Media Server is the way to go.  I know nothing about it.

Thanks.

Scronch

NY40Male

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2002, 06:31:46 pm »

If You Use Media Server Tho..It Wont Display Covers Or Lyrics Tho..So In That Case Mapping Would Be Better
Will Ver9 Allow Media Server To Stream Covers & Lyrics?

Glen

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Cool.
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2002, 03:32:40 am »

Interesting results from last nights testing. After finally getting the two comps to talk, I transfered MJ installer from "main" to "slave" and then installed it on slave. Main is a p3-1.2G with 256mg ram and a 60 gig drive full of apes. Slave is a p233mmx with 65mg ram and about 4 gig drive. Network is p2p wireless at 11mbps. That is the test setup. Now I start MJ on the main comp and let the main library start playing the first song in library,then I go to slave and start MJ up with the first song in library, (after searching for media across the network of course). With a little bit of buffering (really slow computer), both comps are off and playing the same song. Now I understood that this was not possible? I also realize that I only did a short test, and that more testing needs to be done, and hopefully with a faster slave comp, but the beast seems to be alive.
Any comments on the dual access to the same file?
Thanks, Glen.

xen-uno

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2002, 04:29:29 am »

> Any comments on the dual access to the same file?

Shared access is OK with NT/W2k/XP. Whichever machine opened the file first is considered the "owner" which implies total control over the file (ie for tag edits). All other machines have Read Only access.

10-27

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2002, 08:26:14 am »

John, convince me that Media Server is the way to go.  I know nothing about it.

Scronch,
It's easy to try.  Just fire it up.  Then connect to it (even from the same PC) and you'll see what it looks like.  It's exactly the same appearance as if you were running MJ locally.  The only difference is that you can't make permanent changes to the database, but you can use the playlists from the other PC.

Jim

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2002, 08:27:22 am »

If You Use Media Server Tho..It Wont Display Covers Or Lyrics Tho..So In That Case Mapping Would Be Better
Will Ver9 Allow Media Server To Stream Covers & Lyrics?

The last couple of builds of 9.0 will serve images and cover art.  Not sure about lyrics.

xen-uno

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2002, 08:36:03 am »

Scrooch,

> John, convince me that Media Server is the way to go

The Steelers use it...is that good enuff?

10-27

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2002, 11:52:32 am »

No, I prefer a winner.  ;D

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2002, 11:55:36 am »

It sounds like Media Server would have to be running all the time on one of the systems.  In my case, it'll be two laptops, and either one may occasionally be pulled off the network (to go places).  Even if that's the one with the music database, I'd like to be able to run MJ on the other one, using a few local music files.  Would that mean that I'd be better off running MJ natively on each system?

Scronch

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2002, 12:05:32 pm »

It sounds like Media Server would have to be running all the time on one of the systems.  In my case, it'll be two laptops, and either one may occasionally be pulled off the network (to go places).  Even if that's the one with the music database, I'd like to be able to run MJ on the other one, using a few local music files.  Would that mean that I'd be better off running MJ natively on each system?

Media Server runs on the server, usually when Windows starts.  It won't bother anybody.

MJ on the client can connect to a Media Server or it can "disconnect" and play local files.

Scronch,
Try it.  You'll like it.  You'll have lots of things you want us to change, but you'll like it.

Jim

sub-24

• World Citizen
  • It Happens
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2002, 12:11:18 pm »

Media Server is brilliant if you want to listen to music.

Just keep all your playlists on the main PC and youll be fine.

If you want album art and graphics and all the other stuff then switch the telly on.

PS. Cant get album art to work anyway but it should be fixed last week.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2002, 12:13:39 pm »

> You'll have lots of things you want us to change, but you'll like it.

:)

I will give it a go once I have the network set up.

Thanks.

Scronch

dragyn

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2002, 09:20:43 pm »

I use unc just because mj can't play apl files over media server. Well it can, but it has to download the image file first. Downloading a 300+MB file for just one song takes forever and a half.

I create a new directory for a library on the server. I then share this folder with read only permissions. I load mj and set up the library.

c:\libraries\server -> \\pc\libraries\server\

From a remote pc, I add \\pc\libraries\server\ to the library manager. If I want to edit the library, I add \\pc\c\libraries\server to the library manager. this has full control.

Same thing goes for files across the network:
c:\mp3 files -> \\pc\mp3 files (read only).

I load all unc paths into the local library. If I plan on editing some files, I change the permissions to full control and back to read only when done, using remote desktop or vnc.

This way, nothing can get changed even if the option is set to do it (no control). If MJ is open on both computers using the same library, reloading the libary on the remote updates any changes on the server, just like what media server can do.

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2002, 05:52:09 pm »

Scronch
Sorry to have taken so long to reply - I was not paying attention.

To do what you ask above I would select the relevant files and in the Properties dialogues use "Find and Replace"
IE find "C:\ and replace with "M:\" then when prompted, tick the "Location" field.
MJ will either move the files and update the DB, or update the DB only depending on the next choice that MJ offers.

For me its simple.  I have three machines name "Moe" "Kurly" and "Larry".
M:\ drive = the HD on Moe on all machines including Moe itself
L:\ drive = the HD on Larry on all machines including Larry itself
K:\ drive = the HD on Kurly on all machines including Kurly itself.
Moe (as everyone knows) is the boss - the other two are in party mode.

The media is scattered across all three machines - but it doesn't matter because the every filepath is true for every file and from every machine.

Nor would it matter on which machine the DB files resided.

Scronch

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2002, 06:01:50 pm »

Thanks Callithumpian.  I should be setting this up next week.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up