INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: External Firewire Plextor Drive Acting Up.... [kinda long]  (Read 792 times)

jimwhite

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
External Firewire Plextor Drive Acting Up.... [kinda long]
« on: February 18, 2004, 10:19:56 am »

I installed MC9.1 a few weeks ago and all was well, I was merrily ripping my 350+ collection of CD's.... my drive is a Plextor 40x CDRW installed in an ADS Pyro external drive case..... using secure mode, WMA lossless, simultaneous rip/encode/analysis.... P4 3ghz, XP Pro SP1... I upgraded my video drivers (ATI Catalyst 3.4 to 4.2) and at the same time changed the Plextors drive letter from F: to G:(this caused MC to re-evaluate the drive).... suddenly, I started to get Input File Read Errrors unless I disabled simultaneous rip/encode and I had to quit MC between rips, the rip would stall at "initializing".... using that blessed System Restore and much registry searching, I found the following:

1)  Under HKLM\SOFTWARE\JRiver\MediaJukebox\CD Reader
     Old works:        LastCDROMType-F:  2,0,,0
     New broken:     LastCDROMType-G:  2,1,,0,1197168
2)  Old works:        Under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\SBP2\ADS_Technologies_Inc._&1394_Storage+Repeater_&LUN0\0050c5015001a26c\Device Parameters\Classpnp
                              MMCDetectionState   dword:00000002
     New broken:  this entire key is missing!

I edited the new "LastCDROMType-G:  2,1,,0,1197168" value to read "LastCDROMType-G:  2,0,,0" , restarted MC and now it works fine!!!  Can anyone tell me what this key value represents and possibly why this happened??? Are my rips okay?   ?

Jim

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:External Firewire Plextor Drive Acting Up.... [kinda long]
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 11:04:01 am »

The "1197168" value is the size of the drive's internal cache (in bytes) as calculated by MC the first time you do a secure rip with the drive. The new entry ("2,1,,0,1197168") looks correct because it's identical to the entry on my machine for my Plextor 24X CDRW.

The second number in the registry entry indicates the copy mode (normal=0, secure=1, analog=2), so it looks like you probably changed the copy mode to normal. Try changing the mode (in MC advanced rip settings) back to secure and see what the results are.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jimwhite

• Recent member
  • I might be a porcupine.
Re:External Firewire Plextor Drive Acting Up.... [kinda long]
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2004, 02:00:14 pm »

Hmmm...... it seems you're right, the drive is set for Normal now instead of secure in the advanced CD Ripping settings.... I was fooled because the message box showing ripping quality (100%) came up after each rip, so I assumed it was still in secure mode....   :(   Setting to Secure mode brings back the errors...  :(  I guess I have to re-rip all those CD's  !!!!  Uggh !!!  How often does the Plextor give a bad rip in normal mode???

should my machine be able to do a simultaneous rip/encode ?

BUT, what about the other issue.... especially frustrating on my Laptop (Sony Vaio)?  Using the FW external drive, I have to quit MC after each rip if in Secure mode, but in Normal mode I don't !!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up