INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practices to organize different audio types?  (Read 1143 times)

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Best practices to organize different audio types?
« on: November 23, 2002, 09:08:39 am »

Hi,
I have now a collection of mp3, wma and ape files, a big number are wma that I re-ripped in ape format.
So far I have mp3 and wma in one library and ape files in another library! I remember JimH saying once that he split his mp3/ape collections in two libraries.

Is this the recommended procedure or are there other ways of organizing different types in one single library?

Having 2 libraries with different audio types seems to have the disadvantage that you have to re-tag everything. Or is library cloning used for that?

For what purpose do you use more than one library?

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

ChicoSelfs

Re: Best practices to organize different audio typ
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2002, 04:21:45 am »

I have all my files in individual folders so i don't have to separate all my files in formats and i have APE's, MP3's, WMA's, MPC's and OGG's. Before i had my files slipt by NAME - ALBUM all my files in several formats had been into a single folder and i had no problem with that
Made in Portugal

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2002, 06:00:31 am »

Organizing MJ libraries you should focus on your music, not the format. Multiple libraries can help you if your collection is voluminous or heterogenic.  I have about 5000 files and created one library for classical, one for popular music and one for jazz. I also made a library called 'Singles' for oldies, hits, collections and other light music. That way I get around the 'Various Artists' problem. You can use playlists and smartlists to achieve more or less the same, but this works for me. There is more information on library management in the help-section.

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2002, 08:58:39 am »

Correction in above: 'Playlists' should be 'View Schemes'.

J River: Although I do not like too much intelligence in software, I can see no harm if you let MJ 8//9 remember for each library from where I last imported to it. I believe that would make library management easier.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2002, 12:30:31 pm »

I put all files in one library, Fast easy Simple

Listening to: 'It's So Easy' from 'Greatest Hits Vol. II' by 'Linda Ronstadt' on Media Jukebox Charted At 05 In 1977
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

dobon

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2002, 11:40:58 am »

I agree, one Library with multiple View Scheme Groups is easier to maintain, but may be less robust and require more work and skill to set up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up