INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie services  (Read 2299 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Movie services
« on: February 17, 2004, 01:41:42 pm »

Has anyone tried one of the new movie services?   CinemaNow.com, for example.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re:Movie services
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 07:42:14 pm »

Movielink.com is another.

pipsqueak

• "Actually, it's elementary, my dear Dawson!"
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2004, 08:08:47 pm »

jim

ive used movielink a bunch of times. As i have a .edu email i get a 25% discount so its about 3.75 for a movie. The downloads are approx 500-600mb each, about 1,000kb bit rate.

the service is okay if you have good bandwidth, however there are a few issues:

1) the quality is fine for a standard pc screen, but when wiring it though a bigger monitor it just doesnt cut it.

2) movielink try to force users to use their software to replay the file (but if you rummage around the movielink folder in program files, you can find the hidden film file and then replay it through mc or mj)

3) the files are protected so expire after 24 hours - there is a lifetime purchase option, but nothing decent is available

4) the site has a lot of new releases, but still not as new as blockbuster has

5) the movielink software tries to startup as you boot up your pc and if its disables wont let you download a movie until you reenable it.

As a result i gave up using it and switched to netflix instead. where i can get newer content, in better quality and keep it for as long as i like. As long as i can put up with their slow turnaround times...

In summary, movielink is a fantastic idea, but its still being beaten by its offlink competition.

Pip

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2004, 04:18:46 pm »

This is an area that Netflix wants to get into eventually.

It seems to me the tradeoff will be in the implementation of the software on your pc vs. having a physical dvd.

I wouldn't pay more than a few bucks ($2-3)  for a movie that expired in 24 hours whether you watch it or not.  We start movies from netflix all the time that we can't finish for a few days.

And as evidenced by an earlier discussion regarding MC auto looking for updates, people DO NOT LIKE software that has a mind of it's own, or even begins to feel like it is taking over your pc......

It sounds like a good idea, but there needs to some flexibility.

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 04:01:21 am »

I have used both services on and off for the past few months and I agree with most things Pips said.

Some addition though:
1) The quality for most films is very similar to a good DIVX of 700megs. It plays fine on my 32 inch sony tv, but I wouldn't use it on any HD systems though.
2) You can actually select from one of the menus: "play from external player"

These companies have been struggling from what I've heard but since there are more and more HTPCs coming out (even rack mounts ones) and that such softwares as XP MC let you browse their movies with the remote control, it might become more and more popular. I think Direct TV and other companies are also working on their own system of video on demand over broadband. I wonder who's going to win that race...

Also, while Netflix is planning to get into this as well, I believe it's not going to be for a while. My sources, lol, (well i actually know a few of the Netflix crowd), told me that for now they're focusing on continuing to develop their DVD over mail rental and also on reaching the European market. From my understanding, they won't move to video over broadband untill more technologies are being developped.

All these infos are things I've heard/ discussed and might not be very accurate. But I just thought i would share them.

-Cascius
Pages: [1]   Go Up