INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Don't like Multiple Artist changes in latest build  (Read 1500 times)

Sauzee

• Citizen of the Universe
Don't like Multiple Artist changes in latest build
« on: February 17, 2004, 03:49:53 am »

5. Changed: Album Analyzer doesn't consider an album a mix album unless it is also complete -- will cause far less false (Multiple Artist) entries on less organized libraries.

I don't like this change. Now multiple artist albums are incorrectly identified as single artist albums if I don't have all the tracks on my PC.  Often on a multiple artists CD I'm only interested in a couple of the songs so don't rip/download the remainder.

However when I look at, e.g. Eric Clapton, I want to be able to be able to see quickly, which of the albums are his normal solo albums and which tracks are on soundtracks, compilations etc.

Now I can't do that properly.

jleerigby

Re:Don't like Multiple Artist changes in latest build
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2004, 06:27:40 am »

I don't like this change. Now multiple artist albums are incorrectly identified as single artist albums if I don't have all the tracks on my PC.  Often on a multiple artists CD I'm only interested in a couple of the songs so don't rip/download the remainder.

I totally agree and I think this change adds to confusion.  If an album has multiple artists and album artist has not been overridden I would find it very confusing to see it listed as a single artist album.  

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2004, 11:16:39 am »

I also agree, but I can understand why it was changed.  Not sure how to solve both problems.  Guess that's why I do mortgages, not software. :)
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2004, 12:15:52 pm »

Just manually fill in "Album Artist" in the cases you're describing.

This new method is a much better compromise for most users.  It gives lazy people like me nice multi-artist handling, but it also won't cause the confusion we've seen in the past where everything is showing up as multi-artist.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2004, 12:45:53 pm »

That's fine Matt as long as we understand the rules so we know when to manually apply Album Artist.  I new before as it was pretty black and white but now I'm not so sure.

Say I have 'Now that's what I call music 56' with a few tracks missing.  Will that be classed as single artist?  That seems really silly to me.

Please can you just clarify the rules as they seem a bit fuzzy now (there's something in it for you as we seem to be the ones that respond to the most newbie posts about Album Artist (auto) so if I know for sure how it works I can relieve the strain :D)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2004, 02:05:35 pm »

This will be tuned in the next build.

Instead of having to be a complete album to be a mix, files will just have to be the only album in the directory.

Thanks.

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004, 03:38:26 pm »

Good.  So I think you mean:

1.  Same album name + same directory = Old rules (Complete or not)
2.  Same album name + different directories + incomplete = Single artist (using most common artist name).

Is that what you mean for #2 above?

Sauzee

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004, 04:25:59 pm »

Great. That makes much more sense.

Thanks

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004, 04:28:08 pm »

1.  Same album name + same directory = Old rules (Complete or not)

Yes, unless there are other albums in the same directory.

2.  Same album name + different directories + incomplete = Single artist (using most common artist name).

The same album name in different directories gets treated as separate albums.  This hasn't changed.

So if you keep albums in their own folders, everything will be like it used to with the old stuff.  If you have a messy folder with lots of random stuff, MC won't be as likely to wrongly say "(Multiple Artists)".  I think everyone wins.

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004, 04:58:38 pm »

I think everyone wins.
I agree.

Now I get you. :D

Pages: [1]   Go Up