INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: best mp3 player for under 300$ (ipod,Nomad)?  (Read 1660 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
best mp3 player for under 300$ (ipod,Nomad)?
« on: February 21, 2004, 10:52:23 am »

hi guys

i was wondering if anyone could give me a recomendation for the best mp3 player for under 300$. i was ready to but an ipod but i hear alot of bad things about the battery life and duration? does anybody know anything about creatives zen? any other players in this price catagory?

thx alot in advance

zeltak :)

bebop

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:best mp3 player for under 300$ (ipod,Nomad)?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2004, 11:45:47 am »

Hi..I have been using the creative products since they first came out.  Have tried the RCA lyra, too and my son had a Rio.  All in all, for your money, it seems that the creative is better,  it seems to be on par with the ipod, but not a durable.  I stuck with Creative due to the cost  - I wanted major capacity and have a 60 Gig Zen.  The one thing I don't like about it is the hidden battery.  I would like to be able to change that myself if need be, but so far, that option isn't available.  The ipod has this same drawback.  I get approx. 8 hrs per charge on my battery, which is ok, considering that I have 12,000 tracks on random play.  The 40 Gig Lyra was just too buggy and took it back.  It locked up, the buttons continuously froze and there was this noise that kept coming up.  Guess I should have checked their board first, 'cause seems these were common issues with the product.  so, that's my two cents worth on the subject.  TTFN

EpF

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2004, 02:09:17 pm »

I have a Nomad Jukebox 3 (only 20 GB), and I find it pretty good.  Here are some ot the good things:

It has capacity for 22 hrs play with two batteries, which are user-replaceable.  They're expensive enough on the Creative site (the batteries, I mean), but I got a second Creative battery at a local electronics shop for less than half that.

The navigation is handy enough, though I find it really is playlist-dependent, but then I guess they all are when you're dealing with at least 5000 files.

It has a host of in/out connectivity - optical and analogue line in, direct recording from a mic or from the wired remote radio (this has to be bought extra), as well as 2 lines out, which means you can hook it up to a 4/5 speaker system.  Combine this with the wireless remote that comes with it and you have a nice way of using it as a stereo for parties or whatever.  I have to admit though that I have never used most of the recording facilities, apart from the wired remote radio...

The sound and volume is good

It's pretty robust - I once dropped mine on the stairs, which it proceede to bounce down joyously, nearly giving me a heart attack - but it's fine!!  :-[

Some bad points:

It's heavy and quite bulky.  It's about the size of a cd walkman, but twice the thickness.  I think this has to do with the connectivity facilities.

20GB is becoming a bit of a tight squeeze, and my MC Library is not that big (ca. 6000 files).  I can't get them all on there, so a well organised and tagged library is essential...  Playlists, playlists, playlists!  Especially smart ones!  However, I'm in Ireland where everything electronic costs a fortune, so if you're in the home of the brave, the free and the cheap, I guess you'll be aiming for more than 20GB!

Finally, I have a big problem with the fact that the radio recording feature on the wired remote is limited to 10 minutes.  I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think it is the case.  My wired remote started acting up, and I haven't replaced it yet, (though Creative were very obliging when I reported the problem - I just have to send it off and they'll send one back...), so I wasn't able to fully check it out.

Anyway, hope that's of some use to you...  Oh yeah - I really don't like the software that came with it, and bought Notmad Explorer from Red Chair Software for $20, which is really good and they keep improving it.  Also, when any remaining issues with MC 10 and the Nomad are sorted out it will be a great combination with the Nomad...  ;D

Galley

• Galactic Citizen
  • Insert witty text here
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2004, 04:10:20 pm »

The best player on the market is the iRiver iHP-120.  NweEgg.com sell them for $355 or so.  Trust me, it's worth saving up the extra cash.  8)
http://www.iriveramerica.com/

LonWar

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2004, 04:18:13 pm »

I love my Jukebox 3... It's only 20gb but I think it's amazing...

However I would like to have a 60gb Zen Xtra.... I'm not sure but you may be able to get that in your budget...
-

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2004, 03:28:33 am »

hi guys and thx for the replys.

i was looking today at the creative site and they have like 3 models for the nomad zen (xtra,nx,nx xtra etc..) i cant find the diffrence between them much for example they have the zen nx and zen xtra that both have the same price and 30g hd...i really dont get it... :-[. another Question is the ipod battery issue..is it really that bad as i hear?

thx alot

zeltak

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2004, 05:42:04 am »

I had the same question as you zeltak. But I fell in love with an iHP-140 from iRiver.

Just bought it yesterday. The battery is now loaded and it's time to start doing things with my babe.

I bought it because of the size and OGG support. It also has a line out which I need. I teach salsa and will use it to play music duriing my lessons. I don't have to drag my precious CD's to the studio anymore.

Let me kow if you want me to inform you about my new relationship.  ;D

MarSies .....

LonWar

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2004, 07:28:20 am »

If you also are going to use it in the car, Creative has just upgraded there (jukebox3) firmware and it has a car mode, when using a cig lighter adapter, when turning the car off it will turn the Nomad off....
Creative puts out some really good things in there firmware updates...
-

kiwi

• Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2004, 08:35:56 am »

Just figured I'd throw my $0.02 in.  I absolutely LOVE my iPod!!!  I have a lowly 1st G 5GB model and it's sill pumping out the tunes (*knock on wood*).  The new models are even better.  I really want mine to break so that I can justify getting myself a new one.  :P

Try using all of the different devices if you can.  How well they work for you makes a difference.

kiwi
Pages: [1]   Go Up