INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! CD & DVD burning  (Read 643 times)

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
HELP! CD & DVD burning
« on: February 20, 2004, 02:49:31 am »

I'm at my wits end with this.

I'm using the .74 build and everything is great, except MC10 always crashes when I attempt to burn a CD or DVD. Here is what happens:

1) insert some blank media
2) get the "CD reading cursor" with an arrow and a little CD image
3) select files, move them to the AW, start burn
4) system locks up completely - mouse cursor freezes, keyboard doesn't respond

The point at which the system locks up is unpredictable. Sometimes the freeze happens after the burn has started, sometimes when files are added to the AW, and occasionally when I am selecting files to burn.

MC10 works for burning immediately after reformatting and reinstalling Windows XP. At this point WindowsXP built-in burning is still active. However, at some point after I rebuild my configuration, it starts exhibiting the symptoms above. I *think* it starts crashing at some point after installing DirectX9.0b or WMP9.0.

Nero, Roxio, Windows built-in burning all work OK. In fact I'm using drag & drop to Nero from MC10 as a stopgap.

I've tried hard to isolate the possible causes. I replaced the DVD burner (took out Sony, replaced with Plex), tested the system extensively (Memtest86 & others), upgraded burner firmware. I have reformatted and reinstalled everything - twice!

Any ideas?

Media Center Registered 10.0.74 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
Intel Pentium 4 2592 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 981 MB, Free - 657 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1400 / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1233 (xpsp2.030604-1804) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:Normal   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: No /  Calc replay gain: Yes /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: No  

Burning /  Drive D: PLEXTOR  DVDR   PX-708A     Addr: 1:0:0  Speed:40  MaxSpeed:40  BurnProof:Yes
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

jleerigby

Re:HELP! CD & DVD burning
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2004, 07:44:34 am »

This is not intended as a solution but as a troubleshooting exercise to see where the problem lies.  First see if the problem still happens when you have it set in Test Only mode.  Hopefully it will as it'll aid troubleshooting without creating coasters.  

I suggest that you uninstall all other CD burning programs then reinstall MC over the top of itself.  Then retry the burn with MC.  If it works then one by one reinstall other burning programs with the very latest patches retrying the burn in MC as you install each new program.

I have found in the past that different burning programs often don't play nicely together, Easy CD 5 and Clone CD 3 was an example.  In this case all was fine provided I installed Easy CD before Clone CD.  It may be something similar that it causing your problem.

gpvillamil

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Listen to the music...
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2004, 03:16:19 pm »

I'm beginning to think that perhaps some other CD burner needs to be installed *before* MC10. I have another machine where ECDC5 has been on it for ages, and it works fine with MC10.

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2004, 03:30:20 pm »

Yep.  There's a good chance that's true.  Some burners take over and screw up other progs.  Make sure you have all the latest patches for whichever burners you use.  Only install the ones that you absolutely need.  For me that means just Clone CD and MC10.  Make sure you don't get lazy - reboot between every install and uninstall while you're trying to narrow it down.
Pages: [1]   Go Up