INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: YADB bug  (Read 1155 times)

smcvick

• Recent member
YADB bug
« on: February 29, 2004, 11:34:14 am »

I've run into the following problem when using MediaCenter to rip cds.  The problem seems to be tied to accessing YADB.

I was ripping a stack of cds this morning, and the first two discs went just fine.  On the third disc, when I inserted it, and a YADB lookup was attempted, I was treated to a series of 'connecting to YADB' dialogs, one per track.  All connection attempts were unsuccessful.  Once this finished, I was unable to play the disc, and unable to rip the disc.  Any attempts to do either resulted in MediaCenter attempting to contact to YADB, unsuccessfully, which seemed to halt whatever I was trying to do with the disc.  The fact that it was unable to lookup the track information in YADB was preventing MediaCenter from doing anything with that disc.  Repeated attempts to manually update from YADB were all unsuccessful.  Once I stopped and restarted MediaCenter, however, the cd information was magically available, and everything worked just fine.

Here's my system info:

Media Center Registered 9.1.316 -- C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center\

Microsoft Windows XP  Workstation 5.1 Service Pack 1 (Build 2600)
AMD Athlon 1339 MHz MMX / Memory: Total - 523 MB, Free - 303 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2800.1106 / ComCtl32.dll: 5.82 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2800.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920) / Shell32.dll: 6.00.2800.1145 (xpsp2.021108-1929) / wnaspi32.dll: N/A
Ripping /   Drive D:   Copy mode:ModeSecure   CD Type:Auto   Read speed:Max
  Digital playback: Yes /  Use YADB: Yes /  Get cover art: Yes /  Calc replay gain: No /  Copy volume: 32767
  Eject after ripping: No /  Play sound after ripping: Yes  Soundfile:   C:\WINDOWS\Media\tada.wav

Burning /  No burners found.
  Test mode: No /  Eject after writing: Yes /  Direct decoding: Yes /  Write CD-Text: No
  Use playback settings: No /  Normalization: None

smcvick

• Recent member
Re:YADB bug
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 12:56:13 pm »

So, my original post was intended as a bug report to J River, since this is the only channel available to us for reporting bugs.  There hasn't been a response from anybody official, though, so is there a better way of reporting issues like this?  Or should I just not expect to see an acknowledgement?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 03:47:04 pm »

Sorry for the delayed response. From your description of the problem, it was unclear whether this was a one time glitch, or whether it happens everytime you attempt to rip a set of CD's. If you're still experiencing the problem, is it related to a particular CD, or does it just seem to occur a little way into the ripping process?
Any other details which might help me duplicate the problem here would be helpful.

Thanks!
John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

smcvick

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 12:38:55 pm »

It's happened more than once, with different cds, but not necessarily everytime I try to rip cds.  So it's one of those annoying intermittent problems.  Typically, when I'm ripping cds, I'll grab a stack of five or six, and work my way through them.  When the problem occurs, after ripping a few, MC will suddenly start behaving in the fashion I described.

1. Insert disc
2. MC attempts to lookup track info in YADB
3. A series of 'connecting to YADB' dialogs are displayed, one per track. (Don't recall exact wording of dialog, that's roughly what I remember.  If I can reproduce again, I'll post the exact dialog wording)
4. After displaying a dialog for each track, no track information is available for the cd.
5. Any attempt to play the cd, or rip the cd, result in a repeat of the 'connecting' dialogs.
6. Restarting MC corrects the problem.  Track info is available in YADB.

I'll try ripping another set this afternoon, and see if I can reproduce it again.

Quisp

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dol Sot Bi Bim Bap
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 06:31:08 pm »

I used to see this behavior constantly with an older version. What version are you using?

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 06:37:26 pm »

Quake is going to be all over you for not reading the first post...
Pages: [1]   Go Up