INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best way to move half of library  (Read 932 times)

tomgrossi

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Best way to move half of library
« on: February 27, 2004, 01:41:10 pm »

I am running out of disk space and would like to split my music library across two hard drives.  What is the best way to move a portion of the library to the new disk without losin cover art, etc... Is all of that info right in the APE tags (all of my songs are either APEs or MP3s)?  

lee269

• Citizen of the Universe
  • sleep eat sleep eat sleep eat
Re:Best way to move half of library
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2004, 02:21:08 pm »

Select files you want to move/right click/Library Tools/rename files from properties? I think if you change the base path for the files you select you can move them to that location.

Or viewing in the tree by hard disk location and dragging them around from there?

Practice on a test file though, as I havent tried these things.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re:Best way to move half of library
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2004, 05:03:22 pm »

...or better yet...

Select files you want to move>right click>Library Tools>Move/Copy Disk Files>select your folder on the other drive and hit the Move button. All your playlists will be updated with the new file locations.

Your cover art should be safe if...

1) they are embedded in your media files
2) they are stored in a cover art directory that will not be moved
3) they are in the same dir as the media...since MC automatically assigns the first image it finds in a dir to the music files that are also stored there (ie d:\PinkFloyd\DarkSideOfTheMoon)...but it may do this only on files w/o defined cover art.

1 & 2 are bullet proof. 3 is problematic ( since the CA is not embedded, it uses absolute path references such as d:\PinkFloyd\DarkSideOfTheMoon\DSotM.jpg, which of course, is no longer valid if the whole directory is moved to e: )

10-27

edit: lee's solution may be better if you do the drive:\artist\album subdirectory thing. I don't bother. I differentiate audio files only by extension...so I have four directories on my s: drive called ogg, mp3, flac, and ape respectively.
Pages: [1]   Go Up