INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: importing m3u playlists  (Read 1507 times)

pjeffe

• Recent member
importing m3u playlists
« on: November 24, 2002, 06:25:31 pm »

Sorry if this is a FAQ (seems like it should be), but I couldn't find it anywhere: I want to import a playlist from a .m3u file.  There doesn't seem to be any way to do this--I've tried importing it, opening it, drag-and-drop, and probably some other things.  It's odd to me that I could export a playlist as an m3u but MJ wouldn't support importing one.  TIA.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
Re: importing m3u playlists
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2002, 04:33:13 am »

Importing playlists has worked fine for me - what kind of problem do you have when you try to do it?

pjeffe

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2002, 06:08:11 am »

Sorry I wasn't clear--I think the songs get imported OK, but I want to create a playlist with those songs in it, and nothing happens.  But maybe I'm just doing it wrong.  I create a playlist, then drag an m3u file to it.  I would expect that the songs listed in the m3u will get imported if they aren't already, and that they'll all get listed in that playlist, but nothing happens.  Is there some other way to create a playlist from an m3u?

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2002, 06:50:42 am »

I create a playlist, then drag an m3u file to it.  I would expect that the songs listed in the m3u will get imported if they aren't already, and that they'll all get listed in that playlist, but nothing happens.  Is there some other way to create a playlist from an m3u?

Hrm... I tried the following:

I created an MJ playlist from several tracks in my library.  I exported this playlist as an M3u.
I deleted the tracks from my library (but not from the hard drive).

I then:
- Opened the M3u - files were imported into the library and played.
- Imported the M3u - files were imported into the library and played.
- Dragged the M3u file into the playlist node - files were imported into the library and played (although I had to hit f5 to refresh library view to see the results).

All of this was with 9.0.82 - I don't have version 8 installed to see if it behaves the same way.

pjeffe

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2002, 07:04:30 am »

But if you delete the original playlist, does it get re-created when you import the m3u?  Like I said, importing (and playing) the tracks in the playlist isn't my problem, it's getting the playlist itself to be created when I import the m3u.  I have the feeling that I'm mis-understanding some basic user-interface paradigm that MJ uses, but other software looks at an m3u file as defining a specific, named playlist that contains tracks, and that's all I'm trying to get MJ to do.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2002, 08:12:56 am »

But if you delete the original playlist, does it get re-created when you import the m3u?

I understand that many Jukeboxes store playlists as M3u files.  MJ stores playlists as track attributes in its database.   You can convert an MJ playlist to an M3u by using File->Export.

In my installation of 9.0.82, MJ playlists are automatically created when you import the m3u.

Does that help?

pjeffe

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2002, 08:36:05 am »

Yes, thanks.  I'll try the beta and see if it acts differently.

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2002, 01:00:42 pm »

> But if you delete the original playlist, does it get re-created when you import the m3u?

Yes, to verify delete the playlist (in MJ of same name as m3u) and then Tools>Import Media. Does it reappear in MJ?

> MJ playlists are automatically created when you import the m3u.

That's true with v8 also

10-27

pjeffe

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2002, 07:29:38 pm »

> Yes, to verify delete the playlist (in MJ of same name as m3u) and then Tools>Import Media. Does it reappear in MJ?

Yes, now I see it--I didn't realize it sticks imported playlists under Mixes instead of the top level.

Thanks for the help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up