INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible questions.  (Read 765 times)

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Audible questions.
« on: March 01, 2004, 04:55:25 pm »

How much hope is there for MC to start supporting Audible files over Media Server?

On a related note, why can't Media Server simply play any content on another system?  How is it different than simply listenning to the content from a remote hard drive over the network without using Media Server?  Just curious.

Also, is there any way of transferring Audible tags from one system to another so that they don't all have to be re-tagged?

Thanks,

Larry

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Audible questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2004, 05:05:31 pm »

We use the QuickTime engine for playing Audible files.

We give it a URL to the AA file, but in some cases, it fails.

The DRM in AA files is dicey at best, and is probably what's causing the problems.  It's possible that Apple / AA could offer more help.

As a test, you could upload the same audible file to a web server and try to play it with QuickTime or MC and see if either works when it's coming from a server other than Media Server.

Thanks Larry.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lalittle

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2004, 05:14:23 pm »

I didn't even realize QT COULD be used for Audible -- the Audible Manager software only mentions WMP and REAL in the list of devices to "activate."  Is it possible that this has something to do with the problem?

Forgive me, but what is DRM?

Regarding the server test, I don't know of a web server I could upload to for this test.

What about the tagging question?  I have a lot of Audible files that require retagging due to poor naming in the native Audible state.  Is there any way to bring the tag changes from one system over to another so I don't have to re-do all the tag changes manually?

Thanks again,

Larry

xen-uno

• Checking your hard disk for errors...
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2004, 05:31:52 pm »

DRM = Digital Rights Management (aka copy protection)
Pages: [1]   Go Up