INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replay Gain with Wav Files  (Read 2167 times)

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
Replay Gain with Wav Files
« on: March 02, 2004, 10:18:07 am »

My music  collection consists entirely of .wav files and I'm interested in using the Replay Gain feature of MC9. I have read in the help file that "Media Center stores the information in the database and in the file itself, so that playing the file with any player will play it back at the volume set here.".

I have a couple of questions:

In the case of .wav files, does MC9 only store the Replay Gain in a database, leaving the .wav file completely unchanged?

Where is the Replay Gain database stored and what is the filename?

In the case of .wav files, will the original Gain levels be restored if the Replay Gain database is simply deleted - or does this need to be accomplished in a different way? (I just want to know that I can clear the Gain information completely if I don't like the effect it has on my music collection playback).

Thanks for your assistance

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re:Replay Gain with Wav Files
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2004, 10:25:52 am »

Replay Gain in no way alters the audio in your files.  If the files support it, a single number that can always be removed is saved in the tag.

Replay Gain can be turned on and off in DSP Studio.

BTW, you may want to look at lossless compression like APE -- it'll save you some space and add error detection and tagging that WAV files don't have.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2004, 10:36:11 am »

Thanks for the APE suggestion Matt. For now, I need to maintain my .wav file structure and fortunately my server is large enough for it to not be an issue.

Couple of questions:

1. Will the Replay Gain feature work with a .wav file-based music collection?

2. If it will, I am assuming it works via a MC database. Can you tell me where the Replay Gain database stored and what is its filename?

3. In the case of .wav files, will the original Gain levels be restored if the Replay Gain database is simply deleted - or does this need to be accomplished in a different way?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 11:13:41 am »

1. Will the Replay Gain feature work with a .wav file-based music collection?

Yes.

2. If it will, I am assuming it works via a MC database. Can you tell me where the Replay Gain database stored and what is its filename?

In the database with the other data.  Use Library Manger to backup / restore a library.

3. In the case of .wav files, will the original Gain levels be restored if the Replay Gain database is simply deleted - or does this need to be accomplished in a different way?

You can clear replay gain values in the "Tag Info" window or by clearing your library.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blafarm

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2004, 11:41:56 am »

Thanks  Matt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up