INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Useful shortcuts  (Read 1410 times)

ender13

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
Useful shortcuts
« on: February 21, 2004, 01:07:39 am »

I'm just thinking how great it would be if shortcuts were utilized as well as in winamp (etc).  The ctrl+z - ctrl+v made life wonderful in winamp for play (etc).  I was thinking it would be great if gave a setup so that we could specify shortcuts for lots of the commands so that we could use the program more efficiently (even for things like YADB lookup, etc).  

Even better would being able to setup global keys so that i could control the music with another window in focus.  I hope this makes sense.

jleerigby

Re:Useful shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2004, 03:40:03 am »

I was thinking it would be great if gave a setup so that we could specify shortcuts for lots of the commands so that we could use the program more efficiently (even for things like YADB lookup, etc).  
I think you can do this but haven't tried it so might be wrong.  Look through the JRiver program directory for resource.xml and edit it.

Even better would being able to setup global keys so that i could control the music with another window in focus.  I hope this makes sense.
You can control all major MC functions from a command line using mjextman commands e.g. mjextman.exe /MCC 10000,0 will play / pause.  You could then assign these commands to windows toolbar buttons on the quick launch toolbar or use an automation tool like www.Girder.nl to trigger the commands on receipt of certain events like keyboard presses or a signal from an IR Remote.

Check out this thread for info on setting up a toolbar and for some cool icons you can use.

ender13

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2004, 07:49:56 pm »

Um...sure, that sounds like far too much work.  What I am talking about is the convenience of quick shortcuts.  Looking at the menu, ctrl is used with p,s,l,n, <-, ->.  I understand some of those commands make sense (p for play, s for stop) but they are not very easy to use.  Winamp makes use of z, x, c, v, b for control the media.  I am not trying to say winamp is better, but i found those shortcuts to be very useful, especially if my left hand was on the mouse.  

If something like that could be setup, it would make for an easier control (in my opinion).  Also, global window shortcuts would rock so you could be off working on something and control your music without having to switch over.  I don't know how hard it would be, but it would serv as a great addition (or even a plugin?).

Uwe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2004, 02:31:04 am »

Take a look at ...\Programs\J River\Media Center\Data\Default Resources\Recource.xml
In the last part of the file you'll find the list of shortcuts. Feel free to edit theese shortcuts. The new shortcuts will work until MC is in focus.
Remember to save the file first.
When i put my left hand on the mouse, my comp makes crazy things...

Uwe

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2004, 01:03:41 pm »

...Winamp makes use of z, x, c, v,

IMO that is horrible and I would hate it for MC to do that.  Those commands are sacred and in 99% of apps do the following:

Ctrl+Z = Undo
Ctrl+X = Cut
Ctrl+C = Copy
Ctrl+V = Paste

If you really like using keyboard shortcuts to control your media then you should seriously think of investing in a muti-media keyboard.  These have standard play, stop, pause, next, prev, mute, volume etc.

ender13

• Recent member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2004, 08:44:30 pm »

True, i hadn't thougth of that.  But the current shortcuts are so widespred across the keyboard that it presents a problem to try to use them.  But global keys would still be a great idea.

britown

• Please be patient, I'm learning...
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2004, 10:17:20 pm »

JLee (or anyone else for that matter),

I'm currently using my MX-500 remote with USB-UIRT to control MC directly but would like to incorporate Girder. I've been playing around with it and can perform some minor OS functions (reboot, shutdown, etc.). I've seen mention of a Girder plug-in for use with MC, but most searches I've done seem to suggest that all one needs is the gml file.

I imported the gml file from the MC/Extras/Girder folder, and also the MC Commands from the DevZone, but need clarification as far as the correct use in Girder. The commands sheet references the "what command" such as MCC_PLAY_PAUSE, along with the parameters, but the gml file uses /MCC 10000, 0 in the Step Size field in Girder. Can you clarify that? I'm also unclear about when to use mjextman.exe in the file field (Windows Messenger vs. command line?). I just need a little help with the basics and can probably take it from there.

Ultimately I'd like to use the remote joystick pad for keyboard emulation (up, down, left, right, enter) in the MC Theater View to navigate through the menu. I noticed that the MCC code sheet includes a section for keystrokes (System section, range 27000). Once I gain a better understanding of the MCC use in Girder would I then use step size /MCC 27000 with a parameter that equates to each key (up, down, etc.)?

Sorry to be slow to grasp this; I appreciate your patience! This is my first post and I hope I'm doing this correctly. Thanks again!  ;)

jleerigby

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2004, 02:52:18 am »

I'm no Girder expert but I have it working really nicely now.  Zarius and Bspachman are the Girder experts around here.  I just use mjextman commands as per the included gml file rather than the windows commands as these work perfectly well.  I also use a few other commands that I've picked up from the forum.  PM me if you want me to e-mail you a copy of my gml.

Just use standard keyboard commands for up, down, left, right and enter.  You'll find these on the keyboard tab in Girder.  Use Return for Enter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up