INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10.0 new features summary anywhere?  (Read 2439 times)

nabsltd

• Recent member
10.0 new features summary anywhere?
« on: March 04, 2004, 01:16:36 am »

I use Media Center 9.0.180.

I've played with 9.1.317 and 10.0.82.  I can't really see any real new features...just an interface that is much harder to get to be the way I want it and have it stay that way.  I'm sorry if this offends anybody, but the 9.1 and 10.0 interface just really stinks compared to 9.0.x.

So, is there a new features (not glitz) summary for 10.0 anywhere?

Marty3d

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:10.0 new features summary anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2004, 04:29:15 am »

I would like to see this as well. This is the ONLY reason for me not to go MC10. A list of possible/planned features would be invaluable for me to at least get a grip of what's in store...
I understand that MC10 is in beta, but as a developer JRiver should have a vague idea of what you want to incorporate..?

Looking forward to see the features list! And of course with screenshots! ;)

LonWar

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2004, 06:48:53 am »

The screen shots aren't gonna happen.

Click on the link in my sig for all the changes...

There is also a few things that we don't know about... Part of the BIG secret...
-

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2004, 07:15:52 am »

There's no way they'll give you a list of planned enhancements for the future as they do not want you to 'take it down and use it in evidence against them' when they don't implement it.  Because the industry moves so fast I guess they want to keep all their options open and not provide any commitment to any particular enhancements.

However, I can see how it does make it difficult for people to know whether to invest in their product.  You're only comfort is to go on what you've seen in the past and I'd say that their record is pretty good.  

Marty3d

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2004, 08:00:32 am »

You're absolutely right, history shows that MC's development has been pretty neat! But also, from what I've seen during the 10.x process, nothing has really changed in any groundbreaking way. Mostly fixes and minor changes...

/Martin

bjsolem

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2004, 01:08:57 pm »

You're absolutely right, history shows that MC's development has been pretty neat! But also, from what I've seen during the 10.x process, nothing has really changed in any groundbreaking way. Mostly fixes and minor changes...
/Martin

Yes, it certainly feels like a lot of it is improved functionality, making things work faster and more logically, improving the steps of some processes.  

This is not to say that any of these changes are EASY.  I can easily believe that some of the small 'uasability' tweaks might take a lot of work behind the scenes.

But it does seem like there have been few breakthrough type changes/features etc.

bvm

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 03:18:14 pm »

But it does seem like there have been few breakthrough type changes/features etc.

Yup, I've been disappointed that they're talking about 10 nearing completion, when some of the features they've been suggesting (I know, never promised, of course) and I've been looking forward to -- ripping multiple tracks as a unit, iPod dynamic playlists -- aren't there.  And it's not clear the iPod support is stable yet.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 03:26:33 pm »

Yes, it certainly feels like a lot of it is improved functionality, making things work faster and more logically, improving the steps of some processes.  

This is not to say that any of these changes are EASY.  I can easily believe that some of the small 'uasability' tweaks might take a lot of work behind the scenes.
You're exactly right about that.  A lot of the changes are to make the program easier to understand and use for an average user.  Many of the changes may have little relevance for an experienced user.  But they give us a solid foundation to build on for the next release.

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2004, 04:38:50 pm »

I'm about to download MC- after reading many posts I don't know whether I should go to 10 or stay safe with 9.  If I go with 9, then upgrading later costs more money, correct?  Is the upgrade seamless?
Thanks.
BTW, How do most ppl. back-up their whole music file (i.e., "my music")?  I don't have a zip drive.

dragyn

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2004, 06:35:33 pm »

Go with v10. You can thank me later.  :P

Podder

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2004, 09:47:13 pm »

Thanks Dragyn but a few hours ago I decided to download MC9 - free for 30 days and I guess I'll plan on upgrading before the 30 days and pay for MC10.  However, I have not yet imported any music files to MC.  If I do import files and later upgrade to v.10 - is it difficult or seamless to do?

btw, what's the biggest difference btw v9 and v10 (for someone that will only use it for music management & smartlists)?  What's the best feature?
Thanks,
R

jleerigby

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 02:20:47 am »

Podder - The upgrade to 10 is very seemless.  You must install it over the top of 9.1 though and your library, playlists and most of your settings will be intact.  There isn't a big difference between 9 & 10 but 10 is more stable and has some nice usability improvements. The View Scheme Wizard (Add View Scheme) that I mentioned to you is easier to navigate for example.  Customisation of different view (columns visible, sorting, thumbnails etc) is easier too and you can save settings and load them into other views using the Customise View dialog.  You shoudl definately go for v10 and do it now - right over the top of v9.1.  Otherwise you are learning how to use MC the hard way, the old way.

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2004, 01:48:25 am »

Podder, I backup with FileSync to two harddisks (120 &160 gig) in a carputer for my Chevy (multi-zone, of course!). MC 10, NetRemote and a wireless access point + an ATI Remote Wonder gives me total control.

But searching the changelog for the word "zone" gives no results. So it seems that my request, sending playlists directly to zones without having to change the active zone, or other peoples request, sync play of two or more zones, isn't put in yet. Shame. The direct playlist is the one feature I really miss. But then I don't even own a portable MP3 player, like the iPod, so many of the fixes and changes aren't as relevant as they are to many others.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up