INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How stable is 10.x?  (Read 1460 times)

Laffer

• Junior Woodchuck
How stable is 10.x?
« on: March 03, 2004, 06:28:22 pm »

Maybe a dumb question!  But how stable is 10.x.  I am currently downloading 10.0.83 to have a play.  As you may (or may not) know I use MC in a live environment (infront of potentially hundreds of people).

I literally only use the bog standard playback features of MC in such a live gig, just adding playlists to playing now, changing song order & removing songs in playing now, doing searches in the media library etc (I don't think I use any of MC's advanced features - although I DO use visualisations and play .AVI files).

I am currently using 9.1.313 and have been happy with it's stability - it has crashed around 4 times (only once at a gig) since I have been using it (although one crash somehow removed 75% of the media library!  Good job I backup frequently).

Any insights would be appreciated - thanks in advance,

Laffer.

Omni

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:How stable is 10.x?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 06:31:29 pm »

It's so stable they installed it on the Mars Rover to give the local inhabitants a taste of Earth's cool beat.  8)  ;D  :P

Omni

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 06:33:59 pm »

Okay, seriously, I know not where the thread is (don't really feel like looking for it), but Jim himself said just the other day that the latest versions of 10.x beta are more stable than any of the others, specifically, v.9.1.  ;)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 07:24:07 pm »

It's so stable they installed it on the Mars Rover

I have the orginal match box mars rover "Sojourner" , still in the package

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

cascius

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 07:41:35 pm »

ROFLMAO eheh guys.  ;D

Well, I've been using 9.1 and 10 for quite some time now and i can tell you 10 owns big time. Of course it does crash once in a while... Probably not as much as 9.1 though.

So if you're thinking about upgrading, go for it! It's well worth it.

-Cascius

scott_r

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 11:12:13 pm »

Okay, seriously, I know not where the thread is (don't really feel like looking for it), but Jim himself said just the other day that the latest versions of 10.x beta are more stable than any of the others, specifically, v.9.1.

Which I found quite strange, considering version 10 is in beta and 9.1 is a released product. A beta more stable than a release? Doesn't make 9.1 sounds very good now does it. Bet all those 9.1 users feel pretty darn annoyed at that. I would, especially if I bought 9.1 now without knowing that 10 was available.

Scott.

Omni

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2004, 11:51:51 am »

Okay, seriously, I know not where the thread is (don't really feel like looking for it), but Jim himself said just the other day that the latest versions of 10.x beta are more stable than any of the others, specifically, v.9.1.

Which I found quite strange, considering version 10 is in beta and 9.1 is a released product. A beta more stable than a release? Doesn't make 9.1 sounds very good now does it. Bet all those 9.1 users feel pretty ** annoyed at that. I would, especially if I bought 9.1 now without knowing that 10 was available.

I don't follow you.  (Well, I do, actually, but I just think you are being a little naive and uninformed about S/W development cycles.)

Under your ideology, no software company on the planet would be able to release new software for fear of being accused of releasing shabby, unstable software in the previous development cycle.

Software is written by humans, and humans are inherently flawed creatures and are prone to make mistakes.  In terms of a software development cycle, these mistakes are found and fixed either in the next release or via a patch.

I mean, for Pete's sake, just go to your local CompUSA or BestBuy, purchase some "released" software in a nice shiny box, get it home, install it, and what is the first thing 80% of them do?  They check the web for updates[/u].  Once updated, then obviously, yes, the newer version is more stable than the previously "released" version.  Can you honestly say that Windows XP is not more stable than Windows 2000?  What about Roxio 7 vs Roxio 6? Or Nero 6 vs. Nero 5?

I know I'll get flamed by you (and probably many others) for this response, but your tone just sort of rubbed me the wrong way considering how extremely hard the JRiver crew works on their fabulous product; and you are making it sound like it is a crime for them to release software.  (And since it was my statement that you quoted, I felt a need to respond; otherwise, I would have just ignored it. ;))

*braces for flames*
(But be happy because since I don't plan on responding, you'll have the last word. :P)

Mastiff

• MC Beta Team
  • The Multi-Zone Tzar
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 01:44:59 am »

Laffer, it's so stable that it's on all my main coputers (two multi-zone computers in the house and one multi-zone computer in the Chevy). And I'm obsessed with stability since one crash usually is enough for my wife to be angry with the system (and me) for quite some time. That's when the cries of "I want the CDs back!" starts to rise, and that's the one thing I fear more than anything. So it's stable, at least what conserns WindowsXP and multi-zone MP3 playback, which is what I use it for.
Tor with the Cinema Inferno & Multi-Zone Audio system
Pages: [1]   Go Up