INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transfering library to new HD?  (Read 736 times)

zeltak

• Galactic Citizen
transfering library to new HD?
« on: March 06, 2004, 05:20:14 am »

hi guys!

I just got a new HD and want to move my media files to the new HD. what is the best way of doing it so i dont lose all my MC settings such as playlist, views, schemes and cover art (most of the cover art is stored inside files) i mean should i just copy/paste it and run a new library search or should it be done in a more sophisticated way?

thx alot

zletak  8)

Deivit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I find your interest interesting...
Re:transfering library to new HD?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2004, 07:47:39 am »

Assuming that you still have your "old" HD available and your new HD is an additional one, you can do it from within MC to ensure that everything remains updated accordingly.

Use Library tools -> Move/Copy Disk File (use the "move" option once there)

I'd suggest to test first with a small batch of files to make sure that it works as you want.

Hope it helps.

-----
Listening to: 'Uncertain Weather' from 'Calling All Stations' by 'Genesis' on Media Center 10

Charlemagne 8

• Citizen of the Universe
Re:transfering library to new HD?
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2004, 12:00:36 pm »

That works -- up to a point. I moved a few hundred files that way and ended up having to rename the files from the properties to get the directory structure (\artist\album\track# - name) that I prefer. The tags were preserved but everything was in the target directory. It's possible that I had something setup wrong.
The thing that I ended up doing with another thousand or so files was just renaming the files from the properties (what I had to do anyway using "Move") and using the new drive and a root directory that I had set up previously as the target. I think you can create a new directory from within "Rename..." but I'm not sure. Anyway, the results were much more satisfactory.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up